Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:cool: Next season the Moto3 class will consist of CBR 250 Engines modified to make 58 hp in a prototype chasis.

:) I think there will be engine improvements available to increase the hp on the street models.

;) I was told that the race engines would cost about 6K.

:D 4k for the bike, 6K for 58 hp = 10K for a street legal 58 hp CBR 250.

:p WOO, HOO!!!!!

·
Registered
999 Posts
10K for a 58hp bike that registers & insures as a 26hp bike...

Sounds like a perfect sleeper bike! :D

Edit: as long as the engine doesn't have to be frequently rebuilt, it sounds like a perfect sleeper bike :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I read a magazine that cited it would need frequent rebuilds.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Such a pity for us street riders.
For the racer & track day enthusiast, I see good things ahead :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Uh yeah....... after every race.
But I would like to have one anyway.
I seen near 50 hp per the specs.
Moto3 regulations require each engine to last a minimum of three races without a rebuild, to keep costs down.

There are some nice upgrades... titanium valves, nickel silicon carbide bore coating... but I don't think the NSF250's engine would be swap-able. Unlike the CBR, its intake valves are forward facing (so the cylinder is tilted backwards), and it mounts to a cassette-type transmission.

·
Registered
56 Posts
. but I don't think the NSF250's engine would be swap-able. Unlike the CBR, its intake valves are forward facing (so the cylinder is tilted backwards), and it mounts to a cassette-type transmission.
Yes and moto 2 everyone gets the same engine so the development is in frame, swingarm ..ect, but moto 3 everything is going to be prototype like GP

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
:cool: Next season the Moto3 class will consist of CBR 250 Engines modified to make 58 hp in a prototype chasis.

Not a modified CBR250R engine; an engine and chassis produced for moto3 racing. The CBR250R and the NSF250R have nothing in common beyond the 250cc capacity.

:) I think there will be engine improvements available to increase the hp on the street models.

I doubt that there will be any change to the CBR250R for several years. Motorcycles designed and produced by Honda in Thailand are not "updated" every year

;) I was told that the race engines would cost about 6K.

Honda reckons about 10,000 Euros ($US14,500); regulations state no more than 12,000 Euros. They also state no more than 8 engines per bike for the whole Moto3 season. Don't expect these engines to last long.

:D 4k for the bike, 6K for 58 hp = 10K for a street legal 58 hp CBR 250.

Dream on; the NFS250R engine will not fit into the CBR frame

:p WOO, HOO!!!!!

Stump up 23,600 Euros ($US 35,000) and you will get a whole Honda to go racing in the moto3 class. Or you could build your own frame, and buy an engine from Honda or another supplier. Budget for a few spare engines, fuel, tyres and all, plus sundry other expenses; it will be cheap at the price. Certainly a lot cheaper than motoGP, but you still might need a sponsor or two to make it a goer.
Alternatively you could trick and tune up a CBR250R to go racing against Kawasaki Ninja 250s and the like, at local tracks. That would be a lot cheaper, and a lot of fun I'm sure. It would also make a lot more sense than playing silly buggers on public roads.

You would pick up a few riding skills along the way (some applicable to the road, some best for the track or off public roads). Also probably more productive than trying to locate 5,500 rpm rattles, clunks, difficult gear changes and the like, then trying to blame them on Honda.

No doubt some developments from the moto3 bikes will eventually find their way to road bikes in some form, but (unlike Superbike racing) there is no direct relationship between moto bikes and road bikes.

http://motomatters.com/news/2010/11/06/moto3_regulations_announced_250cc_four_s.html

Honda Worldwide | HRC | News | Launch of the NSF250R Commercial Road Racing Machine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts