Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

Tri Colour or Red

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. My quest to find differences in 2012 and 2011 has resulted in just one difference other than colour. It is that the RAKE has been increased by 3.60mm from 95mm to 98.60mm in 2012 model.
Now what difference would it make? What shortcoming of the 2011 model is being taken care of with this change?
Source of info is Powersports Honda USA website link:

Specification Comparison - Honda Powersports

I am from India and want to purchase a 2012 model here. But is this change there in Indian 2012 model too?

Hope you experts can help :)
Cheers :).

·
Registered
127 Posts
You should get a prize. It's been said 1000 times on this forum that the only difference is color, and you have found at least one other difference.

Honda obviously wouldn't make the change if they didn't think it was worth it, but would such a change be detectable in the ride? I know nothing about bike geometry.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agreed! Every bike shop keeps trying to sell their old '11 inventory, claiming they are 100% down to every little piece that they are identical to the '12.

I'm glad me and the wife didn't end up buying the '11 they had.. We just felt if we're spending nearly full price, might as well get the newest year.

But in the end, shops build these bikes out of a container, I wonder how many of these bikes have been sold as 2012s and really are 2011s..

Any concrete way of telling if you have '11 or '12? And how could you tell what your rake is even still?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well yes but could the rake components be from a '11 because they are trying to get rid of the old parts when they build my '12 bike?
I really doubt it, Honda isn't the type of company that would pull a stunt like that. A rake angle difference means a difference in the frame, not just steering head parts.

Some bikes have adjustable rake via eccentric nuts/bolts but I'm pretty sure this isn't one of them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The bike is built in Thailand or India and shipped almost ready to ride. If it says '12 on the VIN, it's a '12.
Thanks, I was more concerned with the shop I bought it from, not how it came from the OEM manufacturer. So you're saying the bike, including all handling/suspension components are already put together when the bike ships..

So what does a local bike actually do when they are trying to charge you $700 for a setup fee? Put the wheels and tires on, thats it? Obviously not worth $700.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So what does a local bike actually do when they are trying to charge you $700 for a setup fee? Put the wheels and tires on, thats it? Obviously not worth $700.
The setup fee is an absolute rip-off. You should be able to find a dealer that doesn't charge setup, though things may be different in India. Usually all that happens during setup is connecting the battery and checking fluid levels and tire pressure.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Set up fee?

$700?

Man, not living in a nanny-state rocks!

Tell them to call you when the box arrives and you'll set it up yourself, otherwise you ain't buying! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Set up fee?

$700?

Man, not living in a nanny-state rocks!

Tell them to call you when the box arrives and you'll set it up yourself, otherwise you ain't buying! :D
I was buying two CBR250s.. I got the dealer to drop one of the setup fees.. regretfully paid for one =( Learned my lesson on this whole bike purchasing ordeal - I got too excited and pulled the trigger before reading forums and learning how dealers try to get more money out of you.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The rake is the same but Honda is showing that the 2012 has a little more trail which will tame down the steering at highway speed to give more straight line stability. I will have to check the new bikes next time I go to the dealer to see if I can really spot the difference. The spec sheets show the exact same wheel base so the trail spec might just be a typo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
distinction without a difference

Hi All. My quest to find differences in 2012 and 2011 has resulted in just one difference other than colour. It is that the RAKE has been increased by 3.60mm from 95mm to 98.60mm in 2012 model.
Now what difference would it make? What shortcoming of the 2011 model is being taken care of with this change?
Nice catch, but...

The rake angle is still listed as 25 degrees. The 3.6mm increase in trail is less than 4%. I have been wrong before, but I would assume it was either a typo or due to unit conversions.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Without changing the rake angle, the only easy way to change trail is the position of the front hub in relation to the ground and/or the steering axis.

The most likely thing seems to be that the two bikes simply had different tire pressure when they were measured. Bringing hub closer to the ground will reduce trail, while raising it up will increase it, without changing the wheelbase (often measured hub to hub) or rake angle. It should have changed the ride height though.

With such a small difference (3.6mm) tire pressure explains it pretty easily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts