Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new to all this bike stuff and looking to do some small stuff on my bike. I hear I need to adjust the rear spring height and don't know what I'm doing so here I am. Aswell what do people think about switching out springs in the forks? I notice a server dip in mine going over speedbumps and

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
746 Posts
So I'm new to all this bike stuff and looking to do some small stuff on my bike. I hear I need to adjust the rear spring height and don't know what I'm doing so here I am. Aswell what do people think about switching out springs in the forks? I notice a server dip in mine going over speedbumps and
Welcome to the forum.
1. The original rear shock absorber is very good and if you are not competing on GP tracks you have no reasonable reason to replace it.
2. There are some videos on YouTube that explain how to change the preload, and then either the spring is harder (grips better on the road), or the spring is softer (responds better to road bumps).
3. If the shock absorber oil leaks, then of course you must replace it, then it is possible at the same time also to upgrade (but not necessary). Oil leaks are commonly detected in two ways:
  • Oil marks on the plunger (The piston), and dirt that stick to it.
  • When lifting the rear suspension, or pressing the rear suspension down, if the motorcycle returns to exactly the same height It's a sign that the shock has leaked.

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fork springs are probably the hardest job to do on a motorcycle except for engine work. If you're less than 200 pounds, you probably just need a rebuild. Springs just hold the weight of the bike and rider, it doesn't adjust height. It's not a spring problem (again, unless you're unusually heavy).
Think of it like this: Springs determine how big a bounce, shock determine how fast a bounce.
You probably only need fresh fluid and new seals. Look up Dave Moss tuning for advice on how to adjust your suspension. He also has tips for adjusting your brake lever and pedal.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Springs just hold the weight of the bike and rider, it doesn't adjust height. It's not a spring problem (again, unless you're unusually heavy).
P.S. Changing the height of the front fokrs is easily possible according to the explanations in the attached video:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts