Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry if the title just made you spontaneously orgasm and ejaculate like you were one of the lucky few who have experienced this rare side effect while taking Clomipramine. The real intent of this post? I was wondering. Seeing as the CBR250R continues to be a huge sales hit across the globe - do you think Honda will follow-up with a larger single-cylinder iteration?

It is interesting that Honda is apparently preparing a dual-sport bike that uses the same powerplant as the CBR250R.

Official Honda 250 Supermoto rumoured - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

It would make sense for Honda to find other outlets for their 250R engine - and capitalize on the benefits of tooling costs, not to mention the R&D that was invested in the CBR250R that included 27 patents and technology designed to improve efficiency and lower reciprocating mass.

My vote would go to a CBR450R.

Honda could use the same technology designed into the CBR250R, and adopt it for a 450R powerplant. In doing so - I think they could aim for a 45 hp engine - that still retained the excellent reliability and long service intervals of the CBR250R. If they could keep the weight in check - using high strength-lighter components (the CBR250R could have been built lighter - at increased cost) this could be an interesting bike. A single-cylinder design would also likely be more fuel-efficient. The KTM 690 Duke weighs 310 lbs (dry), and boasts a single-cylinder 650cc powerplant with 70 hp that can reportedly yield 50 mpg figures even under hard riding.

Many dual-sport fanatics have been asking/begging for a dual-sport WR450R (i.e., larger Yamaha WR250R clone) for years. Perhaps like with the CBR250R, Honda could look at recouping their investment on a CBR450R by also following it up with a 450cc dual-sport version. A CBR450R would also be a great competitor for the Kawasaki Ninja 400R in Canada.

Oh and BTW - I created my forum name "CBR250R" on a CBR125R forum a year and a half before Honda released word that they would bring a CBR250R to market. Hmmm.......I wonder if the username "CBR450R" has been used on this forum yet....? What do you think Honda?

Mike

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Can you just imagine the whiners on here of engine rattles & vibrations on a crf based 450? lol.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
AP Honda (Thai Honda) have announced their plant is being equipped with new lines for the release of new big bikes next year.

They said that they will be producing 12 new models, not all big bikes obviously, but will be entering the big bike market in Thailand (the CBR250R is currently the largest bike Honda sell here) and the bikes will be produced here, though mainly for export with the trade agreement with Japan also being a factor in it.

I'll see if I can dig up the announcement.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
KTM is coming out with a Moto3 derived sportsbike with a 350cc single in 2013 (according to AMCN).. THAT i am looking forward to.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
KTM is coming out with a Moto3 derived sportsbike with a 350cc single in 2013 (according to AMCN).. THAT i am looking forward to.
I had read about that as well. Apparently the 350cc engine will be a part of a modular family of single-cylinder powerplants KTM is developing. As long as it looks like a proper sportbike - I'm all for it. If it looks like the Duke - no thanks! :)

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've got the KTM 690 SM, ugly but incredible. No use for a sportbike version here. With our crappy streets the SM design is perfect, will run circles around sportbikes. Uneven pavement, gravelly spots, potholes and monstrous speedbumps add to the SM fun but have quite the opposite effect for R6 and RR riders, the few that we have.

Singles are fine (all I have now) but I'd like to see a 375 version of Triumph's triple in a "somewhat sporty" rough-house design, akin to the Street Triple. That would be a blast in our miniature world, even if the exotic three cylinders made it pricey.

·
Registered
795 Posts
It is interesting that Honda is apparently preparing a dual-sport bike that uses the same powerplant as the CBR250R.
Now that would be awesome. I've been a fan of the G 650GS but would buy a Honda over a G if they made one, especially if they market to short folks like myself. I guess we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I'll start my second bike fund, just in case :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got the KTM 690 SM, ugly but incredible. No use for a sportbike version here. With our crappy streets the SM design is perfect, will run circles around sportbikes. Uneven pavement, gravelly spots, potholes and monstrous speedbumps add to the SM fun but have quite the opposite effect for R6 and RR riders, the few that we have.
As much as I'm not very fond of the KTM 690's looks (or incredibly tall seat height) - my dealer knows that if I were to ever get one more bike - that would be it.

Mike

·
Registered
323 Posts
You might be onto something with your CBR450R idea.

In the '60's Ducati had the hot 250 single sportbike, but the Japanese were breathing down its neck. The 250 became a 350 and finally a 450.

Honda already have a nice 450 engine in the CRF bikes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
For me, I'd rather a 400, in my province the cutoff for cheapest insurance is 400cc. If they made a 450, I would be tempted just to go to the 600/650 class, if only for the greater variety available. Ninja 400 is a nice bike however.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A 450cc version of the CBR would be great. Too big of a jump from the 250c to the 600cc. Honda needs something in between and the CBR 450 R would be it. 40-50 hp would be perfect. I'd buy one for sure. The CBR 250 R is great but many times while climbing a hill running against the wind I wished for another 10-20 hp! Wonder what the chances are that Honda builds one of these in the next few years ?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I had read about that as well. Apparently the 350cc engine will be a part of a modular family of single-cylinder powerplants KTM is developing. As long as it looks like a proper sportbike - I'm all for it. If it looks like the Duke - no thanks! :)

Mike
They will probably make a Tard version as well, but with their entry to Moto3 lets hope for a twin spar alloy framed proper sportsbike.

Mind you KTM stands for 'Kosts Too Much' so mebbe we're dreamin.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
For me, I'd rather a 400, in my province the cutoff for cheapest insurance is 400cc. If they made a 450, I would be tempted just to go to the 600/650 class, if only for the greater variety available. Ninja 400 is a nice bike however.
Part of the new plan announced by Thai Honda re: building new big bikes is that they're for export to Japan due to a trade agreement between the countries.

Japan has a very big demand for 400cc bikes due to their licensing and insurance laws. They still sell the CB400 and many manufactures still have 400cc models sold there.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see a new 400cc, possibly a twin, released in a year or so. A new CBR400 would be a nice step up from the 250.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part of the new plan announced by Thai Honda re: building new big bikes is that they're for export to Japan due to a trade agreement between the countries.

Japan has a very big demand for 400cc bikes due to their licensing and insurance laws. They still sell the CB400 and many manufactures still have 400cc models sold there.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see a new 400cc, possibly a twin, released in a year or so. A new CBR400 would be a nice step up from the 250.
I already have three bikes. But if Honda releases an updated 4-cylinder, fuel-injected CBR250RR - I wouldn't be able to stop myself from buying it - it would be nice to simply have a bike with a 19,000 rpm redline and gear-driven cams.

If 400cc is the limit for more affordable insurance in many countries - I would be willing to settle for a single-cylinder 400cc CBR400R rather than 450cc. :) Honda are you listening? I'm not picky. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
795 Posts
I already have three bikes. But if Honda releases an updated 4-cylinder, fuel-injected CBR250RR - I wouldn't be able to stop myself from buying it -
I got the same problem with bicycles, I restraint myself to three.

Maybe I'll unsubscribe from the blog and moto mags, that way I wont know what cool motos are coming down the pipeline.. and be tempted to get a second moto.....nah

·
Registered
152 Posts
400cc would be fine

If Honda were to poll me for my 'ideal bike', it would indeed be a single-cylinder 400cc with similar frame/ergos/specs/options to the 250r (and slightly cooler colour-schemes). :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts