Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Honda cbr250r engine shuts down on neutral. It starts good, but after preheating process, if I don't touch throttle, engine shuts down. I already changed engine plug and battery, but it didn't fix the problem. Please let me know how too fix it. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My 2013 Honda cbr250r engine shuts down on neutral. It starts good, but after preheating process, if I don't touch throttle, engine shuts down. I already changed engine plug and battery, but it didn't fix the problem. Please let me know how too fix it. Thank you.
Did you use the exact same plug?

Can you check the battery voltage with a volt meter? Before starting it should be 12.7V or more. Confirm you have proper voltage and secure connections.

Other than that, check the condition of the air filter. How old is the gas? I would add a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate (1 oz per gal) now and once per year.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi, just a quick question. After the bike is warm and the idle is back at 1500rpm does it just stall?

Once it stalls when its warm, does it start again? If it starts do you need to keep the rpm up to keep the engine going?

Could be a good idea to replace the fuel filter. And check what happens if you remove the air filter could be a restriction.

Regards,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, exactly as you described but it actually takes an hour or so of riding before the issue starts. After this time the bike will cut out while sitting at the lights or sitting anywhere in neutral. After this happens once it will continue to happen until the bike completely cools and then you get approximately another hour of trouble free riding. I have replaced the spark plug, air filter and battery with new parts... looking to the coil pack and lead next as I have acquired a used spare. Do you think the fuel filter could cause this after an hour of riding?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hi guys, exactly as you described but it actually takes an hour or so of riding before the issue starts. After this time the bike will cut out while sitting at the lights or sitting anywhere in neutral. After this happens once it will continue to happen until the bike completely cools and then you get approximately another hour of trouble free riding. I have replaced the spark plug, air filter and battery with new parts... looking to the coil pack and lead next as I have acquired a used spare. Do you think the fuel filter could cause this after an hour of riding?
Doesn't sound like it would be a problem with the fuel filter - but you never know.

Does it happen the same with a full or partial tank?

As I suggest above, run a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron in case there are deposits on the injector. It also cleans intake valves and the combustion chamber, and is a good idea to use once per season IMO.

Do you run the revs up regularly? All regular maintenance done?

Another possible cause may be inadequate fuel tank venting. The way to check that is to pop the fuel filler when the problem arises and listen for air rushing in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I actually took the bike to my mechanic when it first happened... they drained the fuel and put new fuel in but the problem persisted, then they adjusted the valves & changed the oil and the problem still persisted.

It seems to happen on both full and partial tanks and I've checked the tank vent hoses and opened the filler cap when the problem occurs to listen for rushing air with no sign of venting issue.

Regular maintenance is more than up to date and I do run pretty high revs on the bike (cruise at 6-7k min).

I think I'll take your advice and run a strong cleaner with the next tank of fuel and also swap out the ignition coil and lead when I get the time.

Hopefully get to the bottom of this soon!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I actually took the bike to my mechanic when it first happened... they drained the fuel and put new fuel in but the problem persisted, then they adjusted the valves & changed the oil and the problem still persisted.

It seems to happen on both full and partial tanks and I've checked the tank vent hoses and opened the filler cap when the problem occurs to listen for rushing air with no sign of venting issue.

Regular maintenance is more than up to date and I do run pretty high revs on the bike (cruise at 6-7k min).

I think I'll take your advice and run a strong cleaner with the next tank of fuel and also swap out the ignition coil and lead when I get the time.

Hopefully get to the bottom of this soon!
The fuel system cleaner can't hurt. Some fuels have more detergents than others, and deposits can build up.

I wouldn't buy any ignition parts yet.

Has anyone heard of a factory ECU re-flash or Service Bulletin on this issue? Thought I may have heard of something out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Guys. Just to close off this discussion, after changing the ignition coil and plug lead my my problem was fixed. No more cutouts when the bike is hot and in neutral. Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
Thank you for letting us know what worked for you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts