Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
250 shut off on me while I was riding today.

It started to lose power gradually, then abruptly shut off once it fell below 5K RPM or so. Figured it might've run out of gas, since I was very low anyway. Pushed it to a gas station and filled up, nothing.

I just changed the oil and the filter last night. I don't know what that could have to do with it though - I feel like a mechanical failure related to that would've been considerably more dramatic.

The battery's good. The fuel pump primes. Thumb the starter and it spins freely - I think it has compression, but I'm pulling it apart to check right now. While I've got it apart I guess I'll check the injectors and fuel lines.

Any one had anything similar? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just pulled the filter and checked - nope, in there right. Correct direction. I've done it before, so I didn't think it would be that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would make sure you have the right filter. The XR filters are exactly the same but stamped backwards as to which side should face out. Also make sure there is nothing under the seat blocking the air snorkel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would make sure you have the right filter. The XR filters are exactly the same but stamped backwards as to which side should face out. Also make sure there is nothing under the seat blocking the air snorkel.
It's a K&N 112 filter. No labels. However:
stamped backwards as to which side should face out
I can imagine this has ruined someone's day at least once.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
It's a K&N 112 filter. No labels. However:

I can imagine this has ruined someone's day at least once.
We hear it a lot here.

Also, as stated above, the registration papers can sometimes get sucked into the airbox. Can cause weird things to happen, such as lack of ability to rev above a certain point, cutting out, etc. Worth a look.

·
Registered
256 Posts
250 shut off on me while I was riding today.

It started to lose power gradually, then abruptly shut off once it fell below 5K RPM or so. Figured it might've run out of gas, since I was very low anyway. Pushed it to a gas station and filled up, nothing.

I just changed the oil and the filter last night. I don't know what that could have to do with it though - I feel like a mechanical failure related to that would've been considerably more dramatic.

The battery's good. The fuel pump primes. Thumb the starter and it spins freely - I think it has compression, but I'm pulling it apart to check right now. While I've got it apart I guess I'll check the injectors and fuel lines.

Any one had anything similar? Any other ideas?

how many km you have done ??

can be a mucked up injector else a choked fuel filter below tank. check fuel supply first.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The 112 is the wrong filter.....that is for an XR250/650. The Honda filter is a 15410-KYJ-901. They show the K&N replacement as a 111.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My K&N search for the 250 brought up a KN111....turns out, that is for the 250 4 cylinder. The fitment chart for the KN 112, shows it fitting the CBR250 and also the XR650L. I have Honda filters for both those bikes and they use a different stamping for installation direction.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Spark, compression, fuel. Those things in the right amounts and time make it go. Fuel being air and gasoline. Sounds like you're doing it right, test the plug for sparking, then the compression test, if it's still all good, check for injector pumping gas and then airflow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check your spark plugs, and check the compression both, I think that should be the culprit. I've known instances where a loose spark plug makes engine lose compression. Check the basics.

Cheers!
V

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
BTW how does one check compression anyway? I guess a special tool is needed?
Compression gauge is a pressure gauge that screws into the spark plug port. You turn the engine over and it tells you how much pressure the cylinder builds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts