Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not taking credit for this, it was posted on another forum but I think it is a must read for new riders. IMO this should be a sticky on every forum because it seems like every new rider asks the "which bike should I get for a first bike question." This article sums it up perfectly.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
....if only I can read the fine print. I may then pay attention:eek:

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm not taking credit for this, it was posted on another forum but I think it is a must read for new riders. IMO this should be a sticky on every forum because it seems like every new rider asks the "which bike should I get for a first bike question." This article sums it up perfectly.....
totalled my first steet bike..650 vtwin suzuki sv gladius, same day i bought it..wayyyyy too much power for a beginner in my opinion..:eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Loved the article..... that is why I started my motorcycle life 1) 08 Yamaha BWS50......sold it then 2) 08 Honda CBR125R....still have it and LOVE IT !!!!!!
And I am a 41 year old guy and enjoy riding motorcycles !!!
I have also bought a 3) 99 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom for touring BUT you know what ??????????
I still prefer my little sportbike any day !!!
Hopefully soon I will grow up soon and be able to buy a new CBR250r ....as it's twice the bike I already got !!!! LOL

·
Registered
534 Posts
One of the best things I've read in awhile!

·
Registered
630 Posts
In Aus we have a power/weight ratio limit for learners, so even a 650 will have much less power than some older 250cc 2 strokes (in fact, certain 250 bikes are still banned for learners), assuming they have a "Learner Approved" version. Really all your getting with a 650 learner bike in Aus is more weight, more fuel consumption and higher insurance/registration. Maybe a bit more power, but when you add on the extra weight, the power/weight ratio doesn't increase a whole lot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It just makes sense. The more experience I gain, increases my comfort zone. I love my 250. Ignoring the comments/remarks about faster/bigger bikes is getting easier. Theirs, always in the shop. Mine, always on the road. I got it to enjoy it, the experience, and to save money on gas. I now enjoy my commute. Ride safe!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I love this article, I cant understand the whole 600cc engines for 1st bikes, or 1st 'big bikes' for that matter. 250cc is perfect for what most people actually need. In fact the longer i own this 1/4 litre the more i enjoy riding it.

600cc IL4 is a potential death trap. i mean it'll cruise waaaaay over 100mph and thats pretty hard to resist

·
Registered
532 Posts
Additionally, what I don't understand is how if you do get a 600, people still look at you and say you should have gotten a 750 or a litre bike. Honestly, if I ever get tired of the 250, I doubt I'd want anything faster than a 600 -- even a 600 seems somewhat overkill.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Additionally, what I don't understand is how if you do get a 600, people still look at you and say you should have gotten a 750 or a litre bike. Honestly, if I ever get tired of the 250, I doubt I'd want anything faster than a 600 -- even a 600 seems somewhat overkill.
Trust me I know...when I had a 600 everyone asked why so little. Now that I have a 750, I hear why not the 1000. That's just the way people are. Most people don't understand that even a 600 is faster than just about any car they have ever seen, much less owned.

Saying that the bigger bikes are overkill depends on your point of view. Are most going to ride either to it's potential, no. Are there benefits on the street...without a doubt. I love to ride her 250r, but I personally wouldn't want it as a daily driver. I commute on the interstate.

You're right in the fact 600's are plenty fast, but you really need to have the r's up to generate much power. My 750 on the other hand has power pretty much anywhere on the tach. It's nice not having to downshift for power when you need/want it. With that said, I WOULD NOT recommend it to anyone new to bikes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts