Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, new to the forum here 馃枑.

Since a few months I've been having a ticking noise in the engine of my 92 mc22. I just had valve timing, carb clean and synch, new spark plugs, oil change done and it's still there.
The mechanic that did it advised getting a "new" engine.

Does anyone have suggestions of checking certain things before throwing in the towel ?

Help much appreciated! Just had to wait 2 months for a new valve seal to come in from japan to hear that all these things didn't fix my problem 馃樁.

Registered
Hi Jonsa and welcome to the forum.
I'm afraid though that this site is dedicated to the 2011- single cylinder CBR 250 and not the 4 cylinder marvel that you are lucky enough to own.

Super Moderator
Sounds like valve clearances need to be measured and adjusted. This is different than checking valve timing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like valve clearances need to be measured and adjusted. This is different than checking valve timing.
I said it wrong, he actually did clearances and not timing... but seems odd that the timing would have jumped without pulling the engine apart. Just spoke to anothe mechanic there who had 5 in the shop. So might take it there to see what the problem is... fingers crossed

Registered
@Jonsa
Did you take to new mechanic? I suspect your previous one was a dud.
Cam timing AND valve-clearances work hand-in-hand and both should be done at same time.

Many modern bikes have automatic cam-chain tensioners and hydraulic valve adjusters. So most modern mechanics have never learned how to do valve-clearance adjustments. Find some old guy in his '60s who can restore carburetors and he'll know how to adjust valves properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts