Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year ago, I was brake-checked by a man in front of me (at a low speed, luckily). I managed to decelerate significantly then lay the bike over slightly to prevent a serious collision with the car in question. Damage to my bike was minimal, but still not unnoticeable. The foot peg on the left side of the bike was sheared off completely, the muffler guard scraped up significantly, and the flimsy, cast blinker mount that was part of a Hot Bodies aftermarket taillight kit was fractured to bits. I managed to re-affix the blinkers using some mold-able silicone I had on hand, but this was certainly a temporary solution, as the blinkers would rattle free of the silicone molding I would make.

At my university, students have access to 3D printers for personal projects. I got the idea to replace the broken blinker mount with a more rugged, fortified 3D printed version of my own design. This ended up working out quite well:

3D printing in progress

The complete piece

Mounted on the bike

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Nicely done; although I never would have put the fender eliminator on there in the first place.

Been piddling with some 3D CAD myself, although the 3D printers at the university here are nearly archaic in nature. Prices are quite reasonable though; ~$1 per gram of material.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the previous owner installed the fender eliminator. I have no qualms with it really. It makes the bike look sleeker in my opinion.

I would recommend it. AutoCAD is great for this stuff, and some universities have deals with AutoDesk such that students can get the software for free, which is always nice. You'll need a Windows PC to run it though.
And that is not bad on price. Currently we get material for free (unless you get the carbon fiber filament or the like), since the program that maintains the printers is fairly young and wants to attract more students.

I toyed around with the idea of 3D printing parts for about a year personally, and finally got around to it this past semester. It was really satisfying to do too! Nothing like saying you created a part on your bike (the quality of which surpasses the original) while simultaneously saving money!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great work, Luke. Engineering is awesome! That is a nice design you've done.
Thank you! I was highly satisfied with the quality of this print. The first one didn't turn out quite so nice, but that enabled me to iterate off that design to come up with this. I've toyed with the idea of working on it some more just for fun (to see if I could reduce the weight of the part a little bit without sacrificing structural integrity and reliability). Having access to this stuff is a great way to spend free time really!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow, I never though that you can replace a bike, part using a 3D printer, that's unbelievable. I am not a printer expert that's for sure, when something happens to my home printer I just use the help of an expert.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, I never though that you can replace a bike, part using a 3D printer, that's unbelievable. I am not a printer expert that's for sure, when something happens to my home printer I just use the help of an expert.
A 3D printer can print a lot of things, it's really awesome

1 - 7 of 7 Posts