Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Not trying to start a debate here, but I'm just interested in getting to know your take on these questions:
1. Did you consider 2-stroke 150cc bikes (like the Kawasaki ZX150KRR) before purchasing your CBR250R?
2. If you did, what made you choose the CBR250R?

I'm really baffled by this because the 2-stroke 150cc bikes generally have more power, higher top speed, and can be about half the price of a 4-stroke 250cc. I know that their downside is that they're noisy, inferior powerband to a 4-stroke, and dirty exhaust gas, but are those downsides enough to justify giving up their upside?

Thanks guys!

(PS: will be getting my new CBR250R in the next few weeks, honestly the wait is agonising!)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dont forget usually harder to maintain as well. I have quite a few things that are 2-stroke (and im not talking about lawn toys). I love the sounds, love the power, but i have to say if its something im going to be usually quite often as a commuter or such, i wouldn't own one over a 4 stroke. If you can get one as maybe a weekend canyon carver or such, its amazing.. I usually use my 2 stroke dirtbikes on short burst trips that last a few hours, but if going for a multiday trip, i bring the 4.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i chose mine because of the running costs. at the time i was commuting about an 80km round trip each day. i'm not sure about you, but i wouldn't want to carry around a bottle of 2 stroke oil to mix at the petrol station if it happened i needed fuel either on the way to or from work.

and no, i didn't really consider 2 strokes. where i live, there isn't exactly a large range of used motorbikes and even the small range there was were not far off the price of a new cbr250. in the range of, $4-$5k for older 250 ninjas and cbr250rr's when i only paid $6k on the road for my brand new one, so i thought for that price i'll get a new one. at least i know the history of it and if there were any warranty issues they would get fixed.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had 4 150cc 2-stroke bikes and they all could handle the gully wash rains we have in FL. But as far as power, I had to stick to the back roads. All struggled to keep up with normal back road traffic. I commute a 72 round trip 5 days a week and I agree about carring a bottle of oil to mix with the gas, it would be such a hassle!
I did my research as well about my present bike and I have no regrets of having mine! It has pulled through and contunueally to do so. If I get a chance to upgrade, then it still be with the Honda brand.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in florida as well and i understand the rains your talking about lol.. People just dont understand what its like when spring comes. The 2 strokes can handle all the weather conditions. Now if i could have found a good condition cbr250rr for a good price around my area, i definitely would have picked one up, those things are amazing lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
try suz rgv aprillia 125/250 etc

Suzuki rgv 250 even Aprillia 125 would kill a new CBR250R or Kawi Ninja (GPX/ZZR ) with great looks thats about all .Pollution oil petrol powerband issues aside period. My ride is a real CBR250R NC19 1989 4CYL 16valve DOHC happily overengineerd 45hp 180kph 45000k pocket rocket 0 -100kph 5secs only the 2 strokes can beat this 250 Iwas thinking of getting of getting a newish 250 untill I test drove the ninja and the new cbr When I got back onto my bike it felt like a CBR 600 by comparison Sure these new bikes have fi and are really good looking great for posing isuppose My son rides a Honda RVF 400 V4 NC35 quickest learner legal bike here in Australia also now no longer in production replaced by a dumbed down CB400 inline 4 naked bike Sorry but I would have thought the new bikes would be a lot better.Apart from stunning looks they lack the true fun factor of their older siblings By the way Im 60 so Im neither a rev head or a novice riding since 1969 .Changed to 250 after my yzf 750 yam thunderace became too much for me due to ill health

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ive tested a cbr250rr, and it was an 89 and i loved it. I definitely want one as my secondary though, not primary. It basically follows suit in my book like the 2strokes. Im waiting for these companies to come with a new i4 low cc bike again, in the states of course, but doubtful they will.

You have to understand Old&Bold that the old and new cbr's are like comparing apples to oranges though, its not really fair. They are meant for 2 different things.. Plus there is a really problem with finding a decent older cbr now that will give you reliability. Maybe over there they are taking better care for them, around here, they are bascially redlined constantly and are trashed. Plus i would give anything to own a cb400 i4, those can be turned around and made into fast machines.

·
Registered
3 Posts
built down to a price

I agree with you fully I suppose it really is like comparing apples to oranges the new cbr & ninja are really not sports bikes but commuters with a bit of zip in that sense they make sense.Like most things these days they are also built down to a price .as well as no longer manufactured in japan.In SE Asia and India at last they now have an affordable small superbike replica instead of the standard honda yam etc stepthroughs that havent changed much since the first honda cubs Here in Aus the cbr250rr still goes for top dollar A better resale value than many newer 250s The V twin 250s have also held up well I was fortunate to get a very well looked after cbr250 thats now over 20years old a credit to its previous owners with full service history a well sorted bike that gets an oilchange every 5000ks and new coolant every 6months I have an excellent Honda mech who checked the bike out before purchase I have seen a few examples here with 70 to 90000 ks and still going strong without an engine rebuild These little bikes are so well made and over engineerd they do last but servicing and clean good quality oil are critical Isuspect that the main players in Japan see no reason to make a true supersports small bike because pricewise they would be pretty close to 600inline4s

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I almost got the Aprilia rs250, this bike will eat the cbr250, I also have the cbr250rr & it's flogs that too. It will keep up with 500cc bikes no problem BUT.... It's one of those toys that constantly need to be worked on, 20hrs & you change the rings, at 50hrs you change the piston. They use fuel like you have a share in OPEC lol.
I ended up getting the 2013 repsol because its a fun easy to maintain ride, yes the 2t kicks its ass but @ 20hrs your still enjoying the cbr @ not stripping it down.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd wouldn't want to rely on a 2-stroke... My dad's rd350 is wicked... riding it is indescribable... but there is alot more to owning a 2 stroke

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Our bike is built to be useful worldwide. It's cheap to run, easy to maintain, has a good, broad power band, and is easy to ride. It's not a race replica, it's a cheap, good, all round motorcycle, and I happen to think that it's a bloody good one. ;)
I don't know wynne, the captin America & repsol look race bikeish lol
But I agree 100%

·
Registered
23 Posts
My take is that Honda are hoping that people will use small real motorcycles as stepping stones between step-thru's or vespa copies like Yamaha Finos/Honda Scoopy-i's, and cars. If only a small proportion of scooter riders, do go on to these, Honda should sell shedloads; bearing in mind that in 2011, Thailand bought 2 million 2 wheel vehicles and 600 000 4 wheel vehicles.

The smallest new cars cost about 10X an expensive scooter while a CBR250 is 2-3 times an expensive scooter.

It's not working so far, I've yet to see 1 on the streets of my mid sized city, which has numerous Harleys and at least 2 Hayabusas! Tho I'm wondering if the local dealer will discount the black 1 they have if nobody else buys it.

Sorry, that's a bit off-topic, was inspired by Wynne's comment.

I've kind of decided on a 2nd hand 1, they seem to lose about 25% value when you drive it out of the showroom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
spot on its cheap and cheerful .but in saying that how about producing a small cc 4 stroke race replica again for those that want something more than a pretty commuter which face the facts the new breed of 250cc 4 strokes are I have an unlimited class licence My last bike was a Yzf yamaha thunderace 750 I had to sell it because due to ill health I lost a lot of strength and could hardly hold it up The weight of a 250 Ican handle with no probs I looked at heaps of smaller bikes cruisers Honda vtrs which I also admire ,Suz rgv 250 Aprillia s125 which is amazing .By the way to set matters straight the little app 125 also flogs the new bunch of 4 stroke 250s let alone its bigger 250 brother as previously stated There is a market out there for the race replicas afterall its true you get what you pay for As for my choice of a 250 4 stroke the 250 4cyl racereplica bikes were the ticket I use this bike for a bit of fun and use my car when it rains If I wanted a commuter I d have bought a Kaw gpx 250 which are dirt cheap now and not much slower than a non fuel injected ninja afterall they basically share the same paralel twin motor thars stood the test of time Honda Suz Kaw Yam wake up because those cleaver Koreans are going to see the gap Dont laugh you only have to look at Samsung v Nokia and the latest breed of Hyundais to know the mean buisness

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
2strokes have relatively little engine braking..
which for regular riding on real roads
makes 4strokes superior and better..
natural engine braking or just easing
off speed by backing off, is another part
of the pleasure of riding a motorcycle..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our bike is built to be useful worldwide. It's cheap to run, easy to maintain, has a good, broad power band, and is easy to ride. It's not a race replica, it's a cheap, good, all round motorcycle, and I happen to think that it's a bloody good one. ;)
I have to agree with Wynne, I use mine daily for commuting in all weathers and it has never lets me down. Cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and cheep to run. I bet if you could still buy a 250 in line 4 now it would be a lot more to buy and run same for the 2 strokes as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking to know has anyone ever put a rg250 engine into a cbr125r 2012 just got a rg250 enfi e and have a crashed CBR but just plastic work but looko g to know if anyone done this b4 is it hard? Can it b done tips would b appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's not going to drop right in.

To do it right you'd need the proper tools for fabrication and fabrication skills.

There would be a lot of issues to resolve.
It's not going to drop right in.

To do it right you'd need the proper tools for fabrication and fabrication skills.

There would be a lot of issues to resolve.
Thanks man,,, yes have links with aluminum and stainless steel firms if needs bracket I know its a lot of work but the idea of it is overwhelming and without doubt ohlins front forks cuz the cbr125r forks are the shitest forks I've even ridden with

1 - 20 of 20 Posts