Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from my longest day on a motorcycle covering a slither over 400 miles which were sadly all pretty much motorway.

I set off from colchester at 6am and traveled in the cold and drizzle up to cambridge where i stopped for breakfast and to get warm. I ended up staying over an hour in the petrol station because i was so cold. This gave me the chance to buy a road atlas and replace the bungee cord that had broken off. Not usually a good sign when your going 90 and the car behind flashes you and says pull over. Thankfully not the police but a motorcyclist in his car pointing out my bungee cord had snapped and not only was my luggage loose, but the cord was flailing around my tyre- too close for comfort!

Once i had warmed up i continued on my way and headed to leicester via peterborough and onto Rutland a very picturesque part of the UK. having lost so much time at the petrol station i didnt stop to enjoy the scenery but i did get to see it from the bike as a bad choice of road added another 50 slow miles to my trip...... my sleep deprived brain didn't register the map is not to scale! the day was not starting well.

once i got onto the correct motorway the rain stopped and the sun made an appearance which really raised my spirits and i power up to Leeds briefly kissing 100mph and never dropping below 80. over 5 hours later i arrived in somewhat of a state at my destination and my mate liams house.

He drove us to the yorkshire dales for some Traditional Rock climbing @ a crag called Scadale which was really nice with some great climbs. I would have loved to stay longer but the thought of that return journey was always very present in my mind. after a few good climbs we headed back to liams where i dosed up on food and coffee and dressed in every item of clothing i could.

Having learnt from my earlier journey, i just got straight on the motorway and nailed @ 80 for over 3 hours and and finally back home to London where i can relax.

Bit of a mental day but i'm so impressed with the CBR's touring credentials although i was filling up every 100 miles as it was burning fuel fast travelling at over 8000 revs continously.

Facts:
Distance traveled: 408 miles
Time: 8.5 hours
Top speed: 100 indicated
MPG: 60
The CBR was very impressive and i spent many hours travelling over 80mph constantly with the throttle wide open in a full tuck. stating the obvious WOT kills mpg though reducing tank range severely, but i have no issues about long journeys or motorway use on this bike after today and am confused why people think this bike is no good for motorways

i have no idea what this 'abuse' has done to my bike as it sat above 8000rpm for most of that 400miles only stopping for petrol and the occasional slow road.
Once i got back off the motorway in the 30mph zones near home i noticed the bike now feels different, it seems to pull much better than before the trip but i hope its not damaged in anyway and am tempted to get it serviced. anyway lame pictures as i spent the time either riding the bike or climbing. but it was a great day despite the horrific journey to start it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if ur past the break in period of 300 miles...no damage should be done at all..in fact..after my break in period was over..i gapped the throttle and redlined it every chance i got...when i ride on the interstate its usually around 82-84 mph for an hour n half straight...the more you ride it hard.,.the more power it tends to feel its giving back next time you ride..thats how it was with mine too

and yeah...those interstate rides kill my mpg too...usually drops me into the 60's...when normally im +mid 70's up to mid 80's

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thanks for sharing--sounds like a day filled with awesome experiences. :)

Just curious, even though you're in the UK (metric system) the bike's speedometer is in miles not kilometers? Weird...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Thanks for sharing--sounds like a day filled with awesome experiences. :)

Just curious, even though you're in the UK (metric system) the bike's speedometer is in miles not kilometers? Weird...
Metrication in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

;)

As of 2012, metrication in the UK remains partial – most of government, industry and commerce use metric units, but imperial units are officially used to describe journey distances, vehicle speeds and the sizes of returnable milk containers, beer and cider glasses and are often used informally to describe body measurements and vehicle fuel economy.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Canada hasn't been part of the UK for the past 30 years, technically. Longer, practically speaking. They have their own particular quirks and seem to be pretty well metric. The road markings (especially 'continuity lines') and flashing arrows really make me shake my head though..

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Canada hasn't been part of the UK for the past 30 years, technically. Longer, practically speaking. They have their own particular quirks and seem to be pretty well metric. The road markings (especially 'continuity lines') and flashing arrows really make me shake my head though..
We are a very polite country that allows everyone to take a turn:D. Why the head shake?? It's the KISS method...keep it simple stupid.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
We are a very polite country that allows everyone to take a turn:D. Why the head shake?? It's the KISS method...keep it simple stupid.....
haha.. :D

I never noticed that those stripes were... different from the normal lane separation stripes. The first time the stripes kept going right off the road (right lane going away) without a sign saying the lane was ending really caught me by surprise.

Arrows I like.. but most places around here, the arrows work just like the normal light, in that there's also a yellow arrow. There isn't any "warning" that the flashing arrow is about to stop flashing is all.

Also you have funny money and your mlik comes in bags.

*ducks*

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
haha.. :D

I never noticed that those stripes were... different from the normal lane separation stripes. The first time the stripes kept going right off the road (right lane going away) without a sign saying the lane was ending really caught me by surprise.

Arrows I like.. but most places around here, the arrows work just like the normal light, in that there's also a yellow arrow. There isn't any "warning" that the flashing arrow is about to stop flashing is all.

Also you have funny money and your mlik comes in bags.

*ducks*
At least you cld tell the difference in denomination with r money and our milk doesn't come in bags.....it comes in cartons. Ur sooo silly:D

·
Registered
540 Posts
The different colored paper money I didn't mine.. you can make the money as monopoly as you like. It was the coins that made me mental.. :D

Also.. are you denying this?

or this?

;)

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
As the CBR is sold as a "World Bike", and the instrument display is electronic, the speedometer, odometer, and tripmeter can be set to read "mph" & "mile" or "km/h" & "km".

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
The different colored paper money I didn't mine.. you can make the money as monopoly as you like. It was the coins that made me mental.. :D

Also.. are you denying this?

or this?

;)

Oops lol. Where I'm from those are no longer sold. Sorry though. We're also embarrased about the loonie toonie thing. :eek:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Oops lol. Where I'm from those are no longer sold. Sorry though. We're also embarrased about the loonie toonie thing. :eek:
Walking around with $20 in "change" was a new experience. As for the bagged milk, I guess we know where it went...

They sell milk in bags here in the US, at least in the midwest. Not sure about other parts of the country.
;)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^lol.....:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts