Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is going to apply to EVERYONE experiencing this problem, but for me it was a SIMPLE fix that took 5 minutes. I've posted pictures

Look under your footpegs at the washer on the post that is SUPPOSED to be held flush with the long staple going through the post (don't remember the technical term)

On my bike, I discovered the rear pegs, the washer was held flush like it is supposed to be. On the front pegs however, both sides, the washer was not held flush and secure against the bracket that holds the pegs.

Even just flicking the loose washers with my finger would replicate the rattle sound I was hearing at 5500RPMS while riding!

I used vice grips to tighten the staple so it would hold the washer flush and NO MORE SOUND. other alternatives would be adding a rubber washer between the solid washer and bracket.

I have a set of new aftermarket pegs on the way that use different methods of securing the peg to the bracket.

I was blown away that THIS is what was creating my rattling sound and am so excited that it is gone. I'm confident this will solve a lot of peoples problems

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting, to say the least!
I went out this morning to check the tank bolt and the display/windshield connectors, as I've heard some people link the problem to that. After checking all the bolts and seeing that they were tight to spec, I gave up and started looking over other things on my bike I wanted to change out.

That's when I found the loose washers on the bottom of the foot pegs

I'm so happy. Please, anyone experiencing this problem, check this out on your bike

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
"cotter pin" is what I think you meant. I have no idea if it will eliminate a rattle, but it makes sense to have those fittings tighter. Hope it helps those who seem to have this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm Hoping at least few find this to be the source of the problem. It would be a weird coincidence that it was the source of mine and it was the most noticeable at 5500-6000 rpms

·
Registered
106 Posts
rider and pinion pegs both had loose washers on mine.. and I sometimes had the rattle. I'll try this trick and let you know. this is massive if it works

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm Hoping at least few find this to be the source of the problem. It would be a weird coincidence that it was the source of mine and it was the most noticeable at 5500-6000 rpms
The sound being louder at that rpm would be due to the harmonic nature of the vibration at that rpm.

With safe regards from the mostly frozen north.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey mate, I gave this a shot today, I found all 4 washers under both the front and rear footpegs were loose so I stuffed some foam tape between the washer and bracket and went for a ride..

It definitely made a difference in getting rid of that high pitch rattling sound (almost like a pinging), however, it somehow made me feel that the vibrations and engine rattle are even more pronounced and coming from the engine itself. I definitely need to bring my bike into the dealer soon... If only they aren't like an hour from where I live and it's winter now :(

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Mine was solved months before I bought it, when I read it was a 4 stroke single cylinder, I accept and understand engine harmonics.
* and its the smoothest 4 stroke single ive ever owned as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
rider and pinion pegs both had loose washers on mine.. and I sometimes had the rattle. I'll try this trick and let you know. this is massive if it works
ok, I cut some thick double sided tape into strips and then slipped it in between the washer and the surface it was likely tapping on and wound it around to serve as like a makeshift rubber washer. and then I went for a long ride..

the rattle is still there, but my theory for this rattle is when the oil not quite hot and runny at its optimal temperature, the oil pressure isn't strong enough to push the oil up into the top of the engine(as it is still a tad too thick) and we are hearing a little bit of a rattle.

If anyone is familiar with vtec engines, vtec is something that will open another set of valves that have bigger openings at higher revs to allow very free breathing for the engine while it has the momentum to suck and blow at those higher revs and then at lower revs the normal valves operate with smaller openings to allow for finer control at low speeds..
this whole system is activated by oil pressure. a pin is pushed out by oil pressure that catches the larger valves at a certain rev point and activates them at the same time as the normal valves..

the pin that is pushed into place to activate the valves is rather loose.
I don't think the engine in the cbr250r has vtec by that definition but it likely has some interesting valve technology and I dare say this rattle is just something that is supposed to move at a certain rev point but doesn't have a good coating of oil until it has been activated several times throughout the ride.
I find if I stick to the revs that make the rattle occur and then pass that point and drop back and continue this on my ride the rattle does go away..

I don't know if this will all make sense I'm not a certified technician or anything

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get the whole engine harmonics thing and realize there is going to be certain noise in the engine. I didn't post this to fuel another "the noise is there, the noise is not there" or "the noise is natural/not natural" fire.

All I know is I had a loud rattle right around that RPM mark and now I dont after addressing these loose washers.

I seems like some people noticed theirs where loose as well. I don't understand how addressing it somehow made the sound more noticeable??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, I cut some thick double sided tape into strips and then slipped it in between the washer and the surface it was likely tapping on and wound it around to serve as like a makeshift rubber washer. and then I went for a long ride..

the rattle is still there, but my theory for this rattle is when the oil not quite hot and runny at its optimal temperature, the oil pressure isn't strong enough to push the oil up into the top of the engine(as it is still a tad too thick) and we are hearing a little bit of a rattle.

If anyone is familiar with vtec engines, vtec is something that will open another set of valves that have bigger openings at higher revs to allow very free breathing for the engine while it has the momentum to suck and blow at those higher revs and then at lower revs the normal valves operate with smaller openings to allow for finer control at low speeds..
this whole system is activated by oil pressure. a pin is pushed out by oil pressure that catches the larger valves at a certain rev point and activates them at the same time as the normal valves..

the pin that is pushed into place to activate the valves is rather loose.
I don't think the engine in the cbr250r has vtec by that definition but it likely has some interesting valve technology and I dare say this rattle is just something that is supposed to move at a certain rev point but doesn't have a good coating of oil until it has been activated several times throughout the ride.
I find if I stick to the revs that make the rattle occur and then pass that point and drop back and continue this on my ride the rattle does go away..

I don't know if this will all make sense I'm not a certified technician or anything

Ross, I'm sorry this did not solve your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine was solved months before I bought it, when I read it was a 4 stroke single cylinder, I accept and understand engine harmonics.
* and its the smoothest 4 stroke single ive ever owned as well.
No doubt it is a fun, smooth bike. I think it goes with out saying that everyone on this board loves their bikes.

This is my first bike and I'm sure it is for a lot of people, and we probably don't have the experience that you might Aufitt. For me, this was the first "recreation" vehicle I've ever had. It's easy for first timers to fixate on a sound and what it "could be".

clearly there is a difference of opinion of what exactly this noise is.

for me, when I hear the actual engine when I'm riding, I think it sounds what I would call normal. I always knew in the back of my head, whatever was causing this noise didn't come from the engine. It sounded more like the noise something loose would cause.

I guess I got lucky and this simple fix solved the problem for me.

I would recommend everybody else experiencing something similar do a really good check over of any connections like this. washers not flush to something, etc. it just never sounded like an engine sound to me, and I think whatever noise is actually coming from the engine, as Aufitt says is more then likely normal.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
1 - 20 of 70 Posts