21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
You sure that's just a hug?

·
Registered
403 Posts
1) If they all do it, it is not a problem. It is a characteristic. ;)

2) Just keep the needle between the 8 and the 10. :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You sure that's just a hug?
Heyyynow... I'm huggin' her neck... we gotta keep this stuff as close to g-rated as possible, yeah?

If you want to see something a little more... invigorating.... I have videos out there on youtube. :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I remember tomorrow, I'll give this a shot and let you know my results.

For some, part of the fun is experiencing the quirks (VW Beetle... I'm especially talking about you!), and for others, it is finding solutions for the quirks. Finding the solutions is a good way to get to know your bike a little better in the process.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I checked over all the bolts, put foam washer on foot pegs, still have the rattle. I solved it by riding at 6000rpm instead. :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Old topic but since you guys bumped it.. I solved mine with headphones.

Headphones also make the bike sound really good when you're riding. I can run it @ high RPM in the 9-10 range with headphones and it sounds good. Run that ******************** like that without headphones and sounds like its gonna blow. lol Headphones solve a lot :D

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
^ haha

·
Registered
414 Posts
"cotter pin" is what I think you meant. I have no idea if it will eliminate a rattle, but it makes sense to have those fittings tighter. Hope it helps those who seem to have this issue.
...or, "carter pin," as my father used to (incorrectly but incessantly) call them. Imagine my surprise as a teenager when I first went to the store to get a box of "carter pins." :eek:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Mine was solved months before I bought it, when I read it was a 4 stroke single cylinder, I accept and understand engine harmonics.
* and its the smoothest 4 stroke single ive ever owned as well.
this thread is a little early this year ... usually comes after new years ;):D:D

remember the first one Aufitt ... thought it was the rearsets myself

that rattle comes from the rear set. is just from a metal washer on the inside of the foot peg/rear brake
funny how it still "rattled" after some nice Sato Rearsets :confused:

my conclusion , the bb in a can is probably just .. a bb in a can ... or bank/angle sensor in this case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV9ATcUybtI

good luck with your rattle :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just wear earplugs! No more worrying about rattles :)

David.

Reactions: benny blue

·
Registered
357 Posts
"Cotter Pin" has a different meaning in the UK to the USA. This is what we call a cotter pin.

Cotter (pin) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This is what we call a split pin.

Split pin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
bicycle mechanics in the US still call those "cottered" cranks, and all else are "cotterless". at least, us old mechanics do. we also keep the other kind of "cotterpins" on hand.

still can't figure out why "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing, though!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
My old Yamaha's rear wheel was held on by a big cotter pin. An old biker told me they call it a "Jesus Pin" because it makes you say "Oh Jesus" if it ever works loose or detaches.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
in- of inflame comes from en- [of enrage etc]
meaning eg, 'to make [something] happen'..
english is composite language with origins
in latin and old french etc..

conventions develop with use and pronunciations,
thus spellings of words.. type flavour or realise
and usa spellcheck demands no 'u' and 'z' for 's'..

enrage used to be inrage, meaning to make rage
[rather than un rage].. think of inflame as enflame..

paper is flammable when flame touches it
but petrol soaked paper inflammable
when the flame is a distance away..

inflammable precedes flammable,
the in- used as an intensifier, thus
something 'able to' flame compared to
something 'made to' flame..

invaluable, intense, etc mean made valuable
or made tense, rather than not valuable etc..

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I plugged pair valve other day to stop backfire on my slip on. Rattle @ 5500 seemed to disappear too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
My bike was making a few noises which sounded like a nail in tin can. Earlier this was only happening when engine was hot. Then a new noise started appearing which sounded like tick tick tick (3-4 ticks)as I accelerated from lower speed in higher gear(I normally don't ride it like that so wasn't worried).

Now a month ago something else happened. I will try my best to explain it. Normally when you are decelerating with throttle closed, you hear engine noise which sounds like Grrrrrrrrr (revving) as bike goes through engine braking and that noise changes to G r r r r r r r (frequency decreases as rpm drops). But my bike started sounding like Grrr Grrr Grrr as the RPMs dropped under deceleration. And now it was sounding like a nail in tin can just after starting up as well. So took up to Honda mechanic. And the parts replaced were Piston+Ring Set(standard size), both valve rockers and one of the cam-shafts. These were out of spec.

Parts are fairly cheap here in India e.g. piston + ring set were about Rs 650 (~ $ 11).

Now the noises are gone. No tick tick as I accelerate and no Grrr Grrr under deceleration. It doesn't sound like a nail in tin-can and engine mechanical noise is unnoticeable and faint.

I do rev the engine high and use a lot of engine braking while riding, use fully synthetic oil and my bike sits on 26000 Km.

·
Registered
357 Posts
in- of inflame comes from en- [of enrage etc]
meaning eg, 'to make [something] happen'..
english is composite language with origins
in latin and old french etc..

conventions develop with use and pronunciations,
thus spellings of words.. type flavour or realise
and usa spellcheck demands no 'u' and 'z' for 's'..

enrage used to be inrage, meaning to make rage
[rather than un rage].. think of inflame as enflame..

paper is flammable when flame touches it
but petrol soaked paper inflammable
when the flame is a distance away..
thanks! as an english language nerd I find this fascinating. sort of makes sense now!
inflammable precedes flammable,
the in- used as an intensifier, thus
something 'able to' flame compared to
something 'made to' flame..

invaluable, intense, etc mean made valuable
or made tense, rather than not valuable etc..
ha! sort of makes sense now. thanks!

21 - 40 of 70 Posts