Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to call the dealer, but I figured I would ask here first.

Now that the weather is starting to get colder, it looks like I will be just under 600 miles by the time it gets too cold to ride. What are your opinions on doing the 600 mile service? Should I do it before I put it away for the winter? Or should I wait and do it in the spring? Any up or down side to either option?

Thanks

·
Registered
879 Posts
Thats simply your choice. But if you do wait until spring I would change the oil and filter before putting into storage. Dont want to let it sit that long with dirty contaminated oil in the motor

·
Registered
385 Posts
While we're on the subject if one goes to an independent service shop and not a Honda dealer for the first service might that void the warranty? My nearest shop is much, much closer than my nearest dealer - in fact it's almost within walking distance of work.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Thats simply your choice. But if you do wait until spring I would change the oil and filter before putting into storage. Dont want to let it sit that long with dirty contaminated oil in the motor
Exactly.

Always store with fresh oil. Never start-up in winter to "warm-up". Starting and running for a short periods creates acids and moisture - defeating the purpose of changing the oil.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses...

I guess I will do it before winter, since it includes an oil change anyway...

·
Registered
111 Posts
While we're on the subject if one goes to an independent service shop and not a Honda dealer for the first service might that void the warranty? My nearest shop is much, much closer than my nearest dealer - in fact it's almost within walking distance of work.
I don't believe it will void your warranty to have the service done elsewhere. Some people do it themselves. Although taking it to a Honda dealer will be a bit more defensible should they push back on footing the bill for warranty work.

Either way, make sure they do the valve clearance adjustment and keep a copy of your invoice.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do it now! Imagine the spot you'd be if spring comes early, you're given the chance to make a long ride of the lifetime and can't get into your dealer for that service!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do it now! Imagine the spot you'd be if spring comes early, you're given the chance to make a long ride of the lifetime and can't get into your dealer for that service!
If you do it early will the valves be done seating?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If you do it early will the valves be done seating?
the break in period (seating rings valves) is over at 300 miles...he said he had just under 600 so he's well past the break in period.....i went and had my first service at 550 miles as a matter of convenience..dealer said 600 mile service isn't set in stone....550 miles was just fine too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts