Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I knew my bike needed its 600 mile service done, I called my dealer 2 weeks in advance to get it in. I felt this way they had time to order whatever parts they needed, oil filter and shims or whatever. I dropped it off a day early. They have had my bike 6 days now. They still haven't finished.

Is this how long it takes to do the 600 mile service? I am not great at waiting, I understand that. But, should it take this long?

How long did everyone else wait ?

Thanks

·
Registered
706 Posts
When I knew my bike needed its 600 mile service done, I called my dealer 2 weeks in advance to get it in. I felt this way they had time to order whatever parts they needed, oil filter and shims or whatever. I dropped it off a day early. They have had my bike 6 days now. They still haven't finished.

Is this how long it takes to do the 600 mile service? I am not great at waiting, I understand that. But, should it take this long?

How long did everyone else wait ?

Thanks
They should have been done in a day easily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed your in Indiana. I am located in Indianapolis. Do you know a good place to get this done. i was thinking of just picking up the bike and taking somewhere else?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I noticed your in Indiana. I am located in Indianapolis. Do you know a good place to get this done. i was thinking of just picking up the bike and taking somewhere else?
Haha really? I was just there yesterday picking someone up at the airport. Unfortunately I don't know the area very well though so I'm of no help to you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Be alarmed if you drop off the bike and then pick it up less than 5 hours later. There's no way the engine could have had time to cool off enough to get an accurate valve clearance measurement and have it back to you so soon...
I dropped mine off on Saturday and they did it this morning (Tuesday, they are closed on Sunday and Monday).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I left mine at 8am in the morning and picked up at 6pm. The bike needs to cool down for about 4 hours, and then my dealer charged me for 3 hours of work (that includes valve adjustment, fluid change, other misc. adjustments and etc.)

·
745 Posts
Be alarmed if you drop off the bike and then pick it up less than 5 hours later. There's no way the engine could have had time to cool off enough to get an accurate valve clearance measurement and have it back to you so soon...
I dropped mine off on Saturday and they did it this morning (Tuesday, they are closed on Sunday and Monday).
I got there over an hour before they opened for that reason. They did all the other maintenance first and saved the valves for last. Very happy with the service 1500 miles later. The dealer and I discussed it ahead of time, and I was impressed at their desire to keep my inconvenience to a minimum.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I took mine in cold on the truck. Their book said 2-1/2 hours, it took the mech 4-1/2. He did have to shim the intake valves. When done he said he could do the next one in less than book, this was their first and they were learning. To my pleasant surprise, they charged book time then knocked off a half hour. The mech test drove it and when he got back said he was going to have to buy one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine took 1 day. Dropped it off in evening, Picked it up the next day after work. Dealership charged $145(US) because I bought the bike there he offered a discount to me for the service(probably because I waited so long to get the bike)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I spoke to the mechanic at my local shop and told him at home I would remove the fairing, change the oil, gasket, filter and he could do the rest for the 600 mile service.

He thanked me and said that would be smart, less time he would need fiddling with the fairing and less chance of it being scratched. -should cost less too.

Even though the dealership is only 4 miles from my house I will trailer it so it will be cold for the valve job, it won't have to be left there, and I won't be riding it with out a turn signal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Valve check info, just got my 1st 600mi(actually 650) valve check at local good Honda shop. 3 valves needed new shims. both exh valves had tightened up to under specs by 2 thousandths. I see some Honda dealers have said to skip this 1st check, probably not a good idea. I went over the work with a mechanic, same shims as other hondas, straightforeward work(no need to pulls cams etc). good luck

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think one of the biggest problems that seems to have come up regarding the valve checks is whether or not you trust your local dealer. There have been stories of guys taking their bike in for the first service and it came back late and running like a dog, other guys have had good luck. Personally I would do a gut check, and if you have any reservations about a certain dealership's service, go somewhere else. I think most of us would happily pay the price, and wouldn't have a problem getting the service done in the first place, if we were SURE that some ham-handed moron mechanic who didn't know a shim from shine-ola wasn't going to screw us.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I knew I would be coming up on my 600 mi. service, I stopped by my dealer in SW Florida to ask what the cost would be to check the valves. Was told it would be "about $150", even after I told him it was a single cylinder engine. They do not yet have the service manual. Checked the parts department to discover there were no filters or gaskets in stock. I wonder how long my bike would have been laid up for it's initial 600 mile service waiting for the service manual, filter and gasket to arrive? I have ZERO confidence in this Mickey Mouse dealer and have resigned myself that I will have to buy the service manual when it becomes available from Helm and do my own routine service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts