Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having the bike for less than 2 weeks and after more than 5 years of
moto-dormancy, how better to catch up on lost time (while giving it a thorough break-in) than banging out 900 miles in 3 days?

This is exactly what my wife and I did the past weekend. Its been unusually cold here in Southern California so Phoenix seemed an ideal destination.

I gave the bike it's first oil change (at 758 miles) and did thorough chain-cleaning and lube prior to departure. Worth noting the used oil had an almost metallic shimmer, lending to the importance of changing oil early on as prescribed.

With my wife on the back, we headed out at 11am and arrived in Phoenix at 9pm, stopping every 40-60 miles to stretch and get refreshments. Our longest, uninterrupted leg was 90 miles.

Being avid cyclists certainly helped our stamina and ability to hold a prone position for long periods of time. Breathable mesh jackets helped us deal with temperatures that reached 100°F.

Some posters have cited vibration in the foot pegs at high speed. Perceptibly, this is much less pronounced after break-in. Speeds of 70-80mph held for long periods yielded no foot discomfort, but we did wear touring boots. I did however experience a buzzing effect in my hands when stopping after long distance, which quickly dissipated.

Considering our combined weight of 334 lbs, this bike was a surprise on the open road. It'll never be mistaken for a 1K but I was genuinely surprised by its ability to accelerate at speed. Sure, at 22hp you're limited but 6-8K on the tach gives you plenty of pull to get past other vehicles.

You do have to be judicious with when and where you apply power. Having a cycling background, I'm used to measuring tempo on climbs and making use of slipstreams when available.

We scored 76.4 mpg on the first tank, largely assisted by a strong tailwind (20mph winds that day). Subsequent tanks yielded 64.3, 67.1, and 65.9, which included city driving.

The long distance seems to have done the bike good. It had already been past it's break-in but seemed even smoother and more powerful when we got back.

Here's a shot of us before the ride home

·
Registered
619 Posts
Super, thanks for sharing! It's so amazing how well your bike performed two up. That mileage is really good, I don't remember any reports of any bike doing that good two up at speed over such distance.

It must feel like more than 22 hp, I bet your imagination is ablaze! Keep us posted, thanks again.:)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thanks so much for the interesting and unique trip report! Nice to hear that the bike can ride two up reasonably well! :)

Mike

·
Registered
119 Posts
fantastic report! I am looking forward to doing some medium distance road trips on my cbr. Right now i don't feel like i have the endurance to do more than a couple hundred miles a day, I hope to pull down a 1200km road trip next summer, or two days or so, through the mountains of BC. Love this bike!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good story, nice photo..... the great smiles say it all.

Any chance of more photos of the journey?
Thanks! Sorry...no other moto-related pictures. Just excursion pics.

At a GREAT restaurant called Centurion taken the night we arrived. You can see the mileage on my face. My wife looks rested though.

Our compliments to the chef

Cracker Barrel - why aren't these in California??

Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. Highly recommended!

Assaulted by a cactus at the Desert Botanical Gardens

Deep-fried alligator. Planet earth's chicken before chicken arrived on the scene.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Thx for sharing your awesome ride with us. Wife is beautiful and It's great she shares this sport with you.

·
281 Posts
Faux! Great ride report. This should help to minimize the concerns of folks who think the CBR250 may be inadequate for the highway and two up! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds like a ton of fun! Did you have to adjust the rear tire pressure or the rear shock pre-load for riding two up?
Inflated to 35 psi on the rear but left the rear spring setting as is, which worked out fine being a combined 334 lbs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I neglected to mention... the value of an audio system for long trips like this cannot be under-appreciated! Our Sena SMH-10's helped take the tedium out of the ride. Aside from listening to music, placing/taking phone calls...the intercom feature helps you get the most out of the shared experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts