Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I personally believe that wikis are a great way to organize information online. They're simple to search and avoid repeated information. It makes it easy to get to the meat of the info you want without a lot of commentary/fighting along the way.

What I am proposing is a wiki for maintenance DIYs, frequently asking new questions, comparisons and reviews, other relevant and useful information, farkles like Luggage or GPS Mounts, mods like slip ons, or even plasti-dip(Sorry dudeman, all in good fun.:p).

Along with any other seemingly important or good information.

Maybe could be hosted here if the web admin agrees?

I don't mind hosting this on some webspace I have right now, and having some people here contribute, and move it to some real hosting space if the idea goes anywhere.

I really think a wiki could be beneficial as so many people look at this awesome new bike.:)

Ideas or input anyone?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have "real" server space available on a personal server I rent @ limestone hosting. If it's not too image heavy I can host; limit is 2TB/mo before I start getting charged extra. Physical host is ESXi so any OS is available, I'm preferential to BSD myself.

That said, I believe wikia.com wikis are free.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like them also and the jeep forum I'm on has a really good one and like you said it makes it SOOOO much easier to find info. I'm just about computer illiterate though so I can't be of much help.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have "real" server space available on a personal server I rent @ limestone hosting. If it's not too image heavy I can host; limit is 2TB/mo before I start getting charged extra. Physical host is ESXi so any OS is available, I'm preferential to BSD myself.

That said, I believe wikia.com wikis are free.
Wikia.com is a good idea.

I have some unlimited linux hosted space from my university(I am a linux admin myself).

I wouldn't imagine a wiki would be large.

I think I may setup a wiki and we could export it elsewhere if it starts getting some usage.

·
Registered
540 Posts
They take no space at all.. our corporate intranet wiki is under 100MB. They just start to bloat when people don't pay attention to the files they're uploading.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People don't pay attention all the time.:p

I'd assume this would be a media heavy wiki so it may take some more space. Of course lots of people tend to host pictures elsewhere anyways. I'm not worried about space.:)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, that's the idea I was going for.

It's a good supplement to the site when you're trying to find info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts