Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the cbr is my first bike and ive had it about 2 months now. I have been wondering a few things that I'm sure a few of you might know the answers to here...

1. What kind of car would I be able to dust from a red light (note, I am not saying I'm driving on the street like on a track, I just enjoy taking off from those redlights fast). I don't want to try and beat a mustang GT from a dead stop and he smoke me and look like an idiot, haha.

2. I have been looking at some other motorcycles to purchase as well. What kind of differences should I expect if I was to ride something like a Harley Iron 883>

·
Registered
278 Posts
The 883 will be heavier and faster. It will also have a nicer sounding exhaust note. In exchange for all of that it will not handle as nimbly as the 250 does. These 2 bikes live in different worlds and can't really be compared.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Ibex, just briefly read your blogspot. You are really close to me right now! I'm in georgetown, Delaware

·
Registered
80 Posts
So the cbr is my first bike and ive had it about 2 months now. I have been wondering a few things that I'm sure a few of you might know the answers to here...

1. What kind of car would I be able to dust from a red light (note, I am not saying I'm driving on the street like on a track, I just enjoy taking off from those redlights fast). I don't want to try and beat a mustang GT from a dead stop and he smoke me and look like an idiot, haha.

2. I have been looking at some other motorcycles to purchase as well. What kind of differences should I expect if I was to ride something like a Harley Iron 883>
what track would they let a cbr 250 race a mustang. Dude please for all of our sakes DON"T street race. Clearly you are wanting to know what you can beat on the street.

·
Registered
378 Posts
This is what the bike is capable as tested by cycleworld magazine:
1/4-mile 16.15 sec. @ 77.54 mph
0-60 mph 8.5 sec.
Now keep in mind these are tests performed by seasoned riders. Being that you have only been in the saddle 2 months I would not worry about "dusting" anyone. Driving cocky without the experience needed is sure to end in disaster. This is not a race bike, It's a commuter. The only bragging rights us cbr250r owners have is that the bike is top quality, looks cool, and gets amazing gas mileage.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Question 1 is a squid question....this is not a high performance bike, but you could probably beat a lot of V6s :)
Question 2 is actually not a bad question. Moving to any cruiser type bike, aside from a 250, is gonna see an increase in weight and power, and a decrease in maneuverability. Moving to a larger, sportier bike, is gonna see an increase in injury, speed, brake power, and squidliness(spelling, lol)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
1. A hyundai

2. You may get bashed by bikies or your bike stolen.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Question 1 is a squid question....this is not a high performance bike, but you could probably beat a lot of V6s :)
Question 2 is actually not a bad question. Moving to any cruiser type bike, aside from a 250, is gonna see an increase in weight and power, and a decrease in maneuverability. Moving to a larger, sportier bike, is gonna see an increase in injury, speed, brake power, and squidliness(spelling, lol)
It is too bad, isn't it, that 20 or more years ago there were lots of 450-size street bikes around and now if a CBR or Rebel 250 isn't enough bike for you you really don't have much of a choice except to move up to something MUCH larger. I'm sure this is the cause of a lot of injuries. I'm in the States here so maybe some OUS-ers can chime in and let us know if it's the same everywhere else. Actually California, where I am, may be one of the worse states in this respect as its smog requirements for bikes make it uneconomical to sell mid size bikes here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its not california 0r smog requirements , its the same all over the United States. Most riders here don't buy motorcycles for transportation, we buy them as toys. the reason you don't see all these cool 350 to 500cc bikes is because we did not buy them when they were here. Manufactures will not spend the time or money sending bikes to the U.S. there research shows we will not buy.

·
Registered
385 Posts
At least one bike I looked at in the last couple of years - the Kawasaki Vulcan 500 - was pulled from California purportedly over our smog requirements. Many bikes list a separate set of specs for California models (often slightly less capacity in the gas tank).
But I'm sure there's also something to the argument that bikes are not purchased for utilitarian reasons in the US. Maybe some of the ongoing structural economic changes will reverse that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just get one of these, if you can find one.

Then you can ride the CBR 250 for fun and the 40 year older CB 350 for the Cool Factor. The old bike was supposed to be good for a mid 13 second 1/4 mile.

I was 20 when they built the first one, 60 when they built the second.

regards
Badger

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
lol dude, this bike is an entry level learner classed bike, although people do race them on tracks i believe honda didnt realy build it for the track and those that race them are always maintaining them and modding them, in short, and im no expert but im thinking if you "give it hell!" at every red light sooner or later you are going to "pop" something.
wait a while and get the 600 fireblade or 1000 if the bike gets boring for you and not enough G forces. mine hasnt done 500 kms yet so i havent reved it beyond 7k or opened her up

·
Registered
119 Posts
You could probably dust any vehicle you wanted, given that your on a motorcycle. You would just need to be close enough to the other vehicle and have a long enough one of those feather things.....

Ps, grow up and ride responsibly, you'll live longer that way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You could probably dust any vehicle you wanted, given that your on a motorcycle. You would just need to be close enough to the other vehicle and have a long enough one of those feather things....
Or a swiffer pad :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts