Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Adrenaline is still pumping through my veins. My thoughts are racing. Being rear-ended at a stoplight in a car can be scary, but it is incomparable to the experience of being rear-ended on a motorcycle.

I can still play the incident out in slow motion in my mind. I was about the 5th vehicle in line at the light, waiting for it to turn green, and it did. I thought to myself “I should be able to make this light with no problem, I will be on time for work.” I was wrong. The light turned yellow as the car in front of me entered the intersection. I was still moving reasonably slow, so I stopped for the light. I remember thinking, “wow that was a short light, it must not have picked me up on the sensor.” I checked my mirrors as I stopped, like I always do, and noticed the car behind me was not stopping, but there was no time to react. Before I knew it, I was sitting on the side of my motorcycle sliding to a stop. It only slid about ten feet. I was able to stand up off of the motorcycle and walk away, then came back and rolled the motorcycle out of the intersection.

The ambulance took only a minute or two to get there. The police took much longer. It was comforting to know that the paramedics would have been fast enough to save me had I needed saving. I walked away without injury. I was also able to ride the bike away, although there is some major cosmetic damage, both the front and rear brake levers are bent, the right mirror is loose, and the tail light is now above the rear seat, and the rear seat will no longer close. I am amazed I can still ride it. I plan on leaving it at the Honda dealer (the good one, not the one I bought it from) on my way home today. I will of course continue to ride, but I definitely learned from this experience.

First, I need to leave more following distance. It wasn’t my fault, but had I been further back, I could have slowed less rapidly and avoided this. Second, I should be more aware of my surroundings. Had I know that the person behind me was tailgating, I would have just gone through the light, and I could have done it safely. Third, I need to practice accelerating to avoid trouble. I will also throw in a swerve to the mix in case I meet a situation in which someone is trying to sandwich me between two vehicles. Finally, I think I want a brake light modulator, and possibly a brighter tail light. Had the other driver seen me better, he might have been able to stop in time.

So many factors went into this crash, and I keep thinking that there was so much I could have done to avoid this crash, even though it wasn’t my fault! The good news is that I walked and rode away, and the other driver is insured. Even if he wasn’t, I have uninsured motorist added on and collision, so I should get full payment from someone. It still sucks because I have only had the bike for 2 weeks. I haven’t even received the tag for it yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Scary stuff! Glad to see your taking such a good attitude about the incident, and not playing the blame game. The car that hits you may very well be at fault, but when your on a bike, you're always on the losing end! Your response was spot on, work on your defensive skills, consider how you can make yourself even more visible, and prevent incidents like this from repeating themselves! Glad your ok, ride safe out there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey man glad your ok, id give that hybrid driver a piece of my mind. For some reason some of the worst drivers i see on the road are hybrid and smart car drivers.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what color is your bike?, as i have the all black one, I wonder if its harder to see.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Excellent post mate. First of all glad you’re OK. Secondly thanks for the detailed explanation of the incident. There has been a few posts on this forum about accidents with absolutely no detail about what happened. No issue if people want to post that they were in an accident, but how about letting us all learn from it with a “what not to do”.

I agree with all you comments. I have had an issue recently where I was also riding to close and narrowly avoided an incident. I thought to myself why was I so close?. I know better than that and it could have been a costly mistake. However even though I didn’t actual make any contact, it was enough to give me a “reminder”

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, just out of curiosity, what color is your bike?, as i have the all black one, I wonder if its harder to see.
I have the red one. I'll post some pics of the damages when I get a free moment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
wow, glad your ok from that incident, they should not make lights so short, its just waiting for an accident to happen, and it did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If there's a car behind me I always accelerate and pass on the yellow. I guess you learned that the hard way, glad you're ok.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Damage

If there's a car behind me I always accelerate and pass on the yellow. I guess you learned that the hard way, glad you're ok.
You have to be careful, though, as the most common motorcycle accident is an oncoming vehicle turning left in front of the motorcycle. When the light turns yellow, often the oncoming lane goes through the light. In my case, there was a left turn lane with an arrow across the intersection and it was red, so I could have gone through safely. The point was that I wasn't completely focused on the task of riding, and I didn't have the practice to properly react. Anyway, here are some pics of the damage.

The tail light is not supposed to be above the seat like this. The seat won't even close anymore.

The back is pretty messed up.

I just noticed how nothing lines up anymore.

The front brake lever is bent...

...so is the rear brake lever.

I think every red/silver plastic piece on the right side of the bike is damaged. There is even a minor scrape on the left side of the windscreen that I hadn't noticed before (I don't see how that's possible).

And here is the offending car :mad:

I find it amazing that the bike is still ridable. Looking at the photos, I think what happened is the rear fender/license plate holder thing was hit first in order to cause the damage to the hood of the car like that. I think that somehow transfered most of the energy into that part of the motorcycle, forcing everything out of place. I was able to get the rear seat off to access my phone, insurance info, etc, but it will not go back on. I had to stop at a gas station in that area and buy bungee cords to hold on all the broken pieces and the rear seat while I drove it the last mile or so to work and then back home.

EDIT: Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that the right-side handlebar is bent toward the back of the bike, although I didn't realize this until I got the bike home. The right handlebar now touches the tank before reaching full lock. Somehow, the brake lever was bent forward, but the handlbar was bent back. It's another puzzle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
good to hear that you are fine the bike is rideable after this. Thanks for photos, it gives a good idea of what can happen when rear ended by a car.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
First..I am very glad to hear you walked away..there are very many options available to increase visibility of your rear to the cagers behind you...this one only cost about $26 which is why it is my favorite..it comes in sequential (Wig Wag) this is the version I bought and running light versions (dimmer when brake not applied)Knight Rider LED Light Bar

·
Registered
636 Posts
Wow moldy, i just read your story even though its been out for a while..I m glad to hear you walked away..just goes to show, you werent even moving and some cager smacks you..i hope you gave the person a brief verbal drubbing..once again stoked to hear you are ok and i hope your dealer is able to fix your ride up..

·
Registered
10 Posts
So sorry to hear about the accident! I am glad you are okay! I just read this too and was impressed with your views of the situation to say the least. Keep us posed how the repairs go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, everyone. The insurance adjuster is supposed to come out in a couple hours. Hopefully it's not totaled *knocks on wood*. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now what?

So the insurance company totaled my motorcycle. The frame is actually bent, so I probably wouldn't want to have it repaired anyway. So now, they have offered me just over $4000 for the motorcycle. I let them know about the shortage, and how there are no used motorcycles in this areas. If I want another one, I have to get it brand new. The problem is, every dealer within 50 miles charges freight/set-up/documentation fees. They vary from a couple hundred dollars to around $1000 for fees (I'll stay away from them). I don't think I'll be able to talk them down to what the insurance company is offering. It annoys me a little, because they were perfectly willing to spend $300 on a rental car, but they won't budge a penny to me.

Now, I have still not settled with the insurance company, and dealers have started calling me telling me that they have a CBR in stock. I would go out and buy another now and deal with the insurance later, but money doesn't exactly grow on trees for me.

I am contemplating accepting the insurance company's offer and taking a loss, but I really don't want to lose. On one hand, I don't want to lose money, but on the other hand, I really want another CBR250. My 60 mile round-trip drive to work and back is incredibly boring without it (and I am spending 5x more on fuel in my truck). I hate insurance companies. What would you do in my shoes?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike, but glad your ok!
Which insurance company are you dealing with? I work at a body shop and deal with these guys all the time. If you make a stand and be really annoying a lot of them will eventually give in and give you more money. I'd say stand your ground for at least a little while longer and see what happens. Maybe even get a quote from your dealer showing the exact sale figures after fees, etc. Insurance companies love exact numbers.

Doesn't take much to total a 4000 dollar bike, which is why I was floored when Geico told me they wanted to charge me $500 more a year for collisions coverage with a $1000 deductible. clean driving record... Needless to say I didn't go with Geico for my CBR.

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts