Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am as of 1:00pm today the proud owner of a Black CBR250r. Quite possibly the hardest color to get here in Northern California but bugging all the dealers within 100miles paid off.

Im a first time rider so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I can take some pics but it's all stock so im sure you've all seen a black one before. lol

Finally no more dreams and nightmares about the buying process. IM DONE!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Congrats dude and welcome to the forum. Everyone on here is really cool and helpful. If I have any advice for a NEW rider on a NEW bike it's this: Take a MSF course if you have not already! Half of biking is to burn in GOOD biking instincts and habits. You want to get to the point where your reflexes take over in case of an emergency. Another thing... take it slow and smooth for a while. Trust me! Don't worry about waving to the hunnies or showing off till you got the skill to back it up. Nothing will kill your day and your ego worse than dropping a brand new motorcycle. Make it a habit to spend at least 2 hrs a week in an empty parking lot practicing. Practice emergency stopping. Practice swerving. Practice counter steering.
Listen to your gut. If your coming up to a corner you don't know well... slow down.
Another thing that helped me was watching Keith Code's Video "Twist of the wrist". You can find it on amazon for like $25. Very solid info!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Congrats! You will love it!! I got black with abs. Here in canada (Ontario) my dealer had about 8 in the shop....so I got to see, smell and feel mine before I bought :) mine is stock too....only thing I bought so far is a tank guard. Tips... This is my first bike too. I took a motorcycle safety/riding course (two 9 hour days). Very worth it! I learned to ride correctly before developing any bad habits. I highly recommend a course. I bought the bike after I completed course. When I started with my new bike' I took it slow and in steady progression. Riding on back country roads, getting use to bikes feel and weight, turning etc... I practiced a lot until I felt easy with bike and new it's response. Only then did I venture into heAvy traffic. If you take time and do gradual proggesion, you build confidence which makes riding a hell of a lot of fun! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Also.... ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS assume your invisible to other traffic. Had a lady last week look me right in the eyes while she was pulling out in front of me! One of the most common things to cause a cycle crash is people turning left. For what ever reason people will treat you like your not their. When going down the street you gotta scan at least 8 seconds ahead and always have an escape plan for when someone does eventually cut you off, move into your lane, or pull in front of you. If someone tailgates you... don't fight with them... it's very tempting cause they are in the wrong... but most stupid cagers don't realize you can stop a hell of a lot faster than there 2 ton SUV. I usually just move over and wave them on if i can. If i cannot i just slowly decrease speed and signal then to back off or slow down.

Last thing... I make it a habit to wave to other bikers. It's more or less just a sign of respect for another person on two wheels. 90% of them will wave back. Some do not for what ever reason (they think they are above it or dont wave to sport bikes cause of ego crap). Just take 2 fingers and point to the ground... not straight down of course.... about a 45 degree angle from your body. Bikers have been doing this for a long time and it's good to keep it going.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new bike. I aswell took the motorcycle safety course, I highly recommend taking one.

Ride safe hommie

·
Registered
681 Posts
Congrats dude and welcome to the forum. Everyone on here is really cool and helpful. If I have any advice for a NEW rider on a NEW bike it's this: Take a MSF course if you have not already! Half of biking is to burn in GOOD biking instincts and habits. You want to get to the point where your reflexes take over in case of an emergency. Another thing... take it slow and smooth for a while. Trust me! Don't worry about waving to the hunnies or showing off till you got the skill to back it up. Nothing will kill your day and your ego worse than dropping a brand new motorcycle. Make it a habit to spend at least 2 hrs a week in an empty parking lot practicing. Practice emergency stopping. Practice swerving. Practice counter steering.
Listen to your gut. If your coming up to a corner you don't know well... slow down.
Another thing that helped me was watching Keith Code's Video "Twist of the wrist". You can find it on amazon for like $25. Very solid info!
Awesome advice... welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Keith Code.. Thumbs UP.

for all bikers old and new.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the warm welcomes!!! I do have plans to tackle the safety course before riding my bike. Being seen on a bike is like me riding my bicycle. I would always be on high alert, because people just dont pay attention.

I've been lurking on the forums for a while now and to be honest everyone here helped me in choosing my bike.

I look forward to seeing you all out on the roads!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts