Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New members and the excitement of owning a new bike is what keeps this forum alive. If all I wanted to do was search all the old stuff I wouldn’t even have joined. Frankly, there is enough out on the web about any product of maintenance thereof. I have seen a pretty strong response to a new member bringing something up, say for example, what type of gas do you all use? I know it’s been discussed more then the origins of life itself but who cares. Maybe it has not been discussed by a new, excited, CBR owner. If you have partaken in a prior discussion sit back and watch the newbies go at it. That is, in partial, what a forum is about. If you hammer on the new guys about the redundant questions they will just un bookmark this site and go somewhere else. It’s about learning and also meeting others who have similar likes. Maybe I don’t get all the rules and protocol but come on man it’s just one motorcycle and a place to talk about it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Thank you, Scott. Are you aware that there are 25 threads on this topic?? ROFL (crack myself up)

Seriously, I'm a new rider. I'm trying to soak up as much info. as possible. Yes, I admit to poking fun at the "how to fill your tank" video, but that was a bit over the top anyhow. Yes, people should search first, post later, but they shouldn't be ridiculed TOO much for not doing so. And a good moderator will identify these redundant posts and eliminate them, consolidate them, or inform the poster that they may want to consider doing a search on their next question. Be a little tolerant of our 2-wheeling brethren, I say :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Agreed !

Also worth mentioning , sometimes when a person does do a search , unless they enter the exact " key words " in the search field , they may never find the thread in question .

If these people would simply post a link to the thread where the topic was already discussed then the new person could read up , and partake in the conversation .

But to some very small people it's easier to flame and look important , rather than be helpful .

But hey , screw them and good thread !

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well said, it all goes back to the "don't like it don't read it" and if it has been posted perhaps the searcher did not enter the correct keywords. I would think experienced riders would want to assist new riders to make them better, safer, smarter instead of ridiculing them. A simple "read this thread your question is answered" post is sufficient. And if the topic has been discussed a million and a half times and it annoys you, don't open the thread!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm all for thread merging. A search or 2 would cut down on redundancy as a preliminary measure, but I wouldn't give anyone a hard time otherwise either.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you ask dumb questions, you get dumb answers. A person who has no clue how to put gas in a motorcycle should not be riding said motorcycle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
^ no disagreement there. The first time I filled up I was "shown" how, my husband likes to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing, but it didn't completely throw me off that the nozzle doesn't go into the tank. I saw it and it clicked. I guess common sense??

·
Registered
628 Posts
^ no disagreement there. The first time I filled up I was "shown" how, my husband likes to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing, but it didn't completely throw me off that the nozzle doesn't go into the tank. I saw it and it clicked. I guess common sense??

In case you have'nt noticed... The percent of humans with common sense are outnumbered around 1,000>1

·
Registered
132 Posts
I noticed...... Years ago.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
OK.. seriously again. Biking is a sport (of sorts) and when a guy is new to a sport, let's say golf (shut up you anti-golfers, it's just an example), his friends should be supportive, give good advice, and answer questions that may come up. However, those friends should always, ALWAYS, reserve the right to give the guy a little sh*t if he asks or does something spectacularly dumb. I think that's how it should be here. We should be friends, supportive and informative, but reserve the right to razz the person where appropriate.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, Scott. Are you aware that there are 25 threads on this topic?? ROFL (crack myself up)

Yes, I figured, but I did not want to search because I wouldn't have a place to rant!!:cool: In general I think most folks who ride this bike are pretty moderate and seem mature and I really do appreciate all the time some put into D.Y.I. pics and such. By a patient response or the opposite of some of the senior members I know who to read and who I just skip past.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I'm in support of the search engine. I am far from computer savvy:confused: but an attempt or two wld be nice. I've managed to find what I've been looking for. On behalf of those who have been around for some time, this forum can become boring and redundant partly due to a lack of effort searching the threads for an answer. 3-4 threads on the same topic is a waste of space and my ADD brain clicks off along with this forum. While back I stopped checking in on the forum for a few months. New AND experienced shd get something out of this forum.

That said, I'm not in support of eating our young either, nor intimidation, belittleing or mocking.

That being said, sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves during our learning curve. We take immdiate offence we make ourself a target. Laughing is good for us all:D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am new to this site and before posting questions here o try and do a little research. Google is amazing. It will even point out topics that have been discussed on here. A little due diligence goes a long way. I haven't posted much on here because i haven't picked up my bike and will do so next month. The senior members on here do have patience with the repetitive questions

·
745 Posts
I am new to this site and before posting questions here o try and do a little research. Google is amazing. It will even point out topics that have been discussed on here. A little due diligence goes a long way. I haven't posted much on here because i haven't picked up my bike and will do so next month. The senior members on here do have patience with the repetitive questions
And that sums up, I believe most of our members. A lot are new to the sport, and when people have a question some find it hard to do the research. Politely pointing out that topics exist instead of just re-answering the question will result in them learning that they should search before they ask. Insinuating that they are stupid accomplishes nothing other than the loss of a member and the chance to have someone avoid the mistakes some of the rest of us have made.

As always, my opinion.

Luke

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm in support of the search engine. I am far from computer savvy:confused: but an attempt or two wld be nice. I've managed to find what I've been looking for. On behalf of those who have been around for some time, this forum can become boring and redundant partly due to a lack of effort searching the threads for an answer. 3-4 threads on the same topic is a waste of space and my ADD brain clicks off along with this forum. While back I stopped checking in on the forum for a few months. New AND experienced shd get something out of this forum.

That said, I'm not in support of eating our young either, nor intimidation, belittleing or mocking.

That being said, sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves during our learning curve. We take immdiate offence we make ourself a target. Laughing is good for us all:D
Before I joined here, I found out information quickly but using google with cbr250.net in the search params. That works really well. Wish more people would try that. You can even find the specific pages as well. And avoid all the trolling etc.:p

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before I joined here, I found out information quickly but using google with cbr250.net in the search params. That works really well. Wish more people would try that. You can even find the specific pages as well. And avoid all the trolling etc.:p
So did I. I read and watched for quite awhile before I joined. As the saying goes "there are two side of every coin." With that, it's hard to make friends if you can't engage in conversation, even if it has already been spoken and recorded by others. One side is unlimited info. The other side of the coin is communique with unlimited storage!

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's not cool Low. Ever heard of "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people that don't ask questions". Owning a motorcycle for the first time in my life I was flummoxed about fueling because the nozzle didn't go all the way in and the fuel intake involves it splashing quite visibly. Definitely not a normal looking fill up for the amateur. I was able to accomplish it but had I thought of it, or had time to, I would have googled how to fill up a motorcycle.

Great post OP, noobs aren't the ones to sift through hundreds of threads, IMO the more pro you get at something, the more effort you put into getting better. It should be the other way around but I don't think it is.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
But I no make friends.:(

I still search when I need important info here.
I just like getting the information quickly if I can.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts