Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Remus and I rode up to over a 7,500 foot elevation on Angeles Crest Highway today. Over 250 sweeping curves on a 150 mile ride. Fun Fun Fun !!!!
I froze my nuts off on the way down as it was like 40 degrees out with snow on both sides of the windy road and I had my summer gloves on, ugh !! We also encountered intermittent rock slides with everything from small gravel to watermelon sized boulders in the road. So we didn't push it on the way down. We completed the full 66 mile route from the 210 freeway and rode the 138 highway through the desert home with a beautiful orange sunset in the sky.
Angeles Crest Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remus and I rode up to over a 7,500 foot elevation on Angeles Crest Highway today. Over 250 sweeping curves on a 150 mile ride. Fun Fun Fun !!!!
I froze my nuts off on the way down as it was like 40 degrees out with snow on both sides of the windy road and I had my summer gloves on, ugh !! We also encountered intermittent rock slides with everything from small gravel to watermelon sized boulders in the road. So we didn't push it on the way down. We completed the full 66 mile route from the 210 freeway and rode the 138 highway through the desert home with a beautiful orange sunset in the sky.
Angeles Crest Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next weekend osborne to the fire station? and then to the 14? no snow, i promise:). The cold got my hands too, way less then Alan and my knees and we encounter a frozen lake by Mountain High on the way to 138. I just would love to go there in summer and tear the bends:)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Next weekend osborne to the fire station? and then to the 14? no snow, i promise:). The cold got my hands too, way less then Alan and my knees and we encounter a frozen lake by Mountain High on the way to 138. I just would love to go there in summer and tear the bends:)
Cold is not something I have to bother about where I am now, but it has been something to deal with in other places, and will be again. Sometimes wet with it, which is a real challenge. Yes, it is the knees and the hands that cop it first, and the most.

One of my early long cold rides was about 200 miles down New Zealand's South Island in late winter. I got off the Inter-Island ferry about mid-night, and headed off into a full moon night. It was magic going down the coast with the moon sparkling off the waves. Just one stop for a dollar's worth of petrol (2 gallons back then) at a coin pump on the way. When I arrived in Christchurch at about 5.30 it was about -5Cº (23Fº). Sorry, no photos.

That was over 30 years ago on a CB350. By day, in more favourable conditions, it was a three and a half to four hour ride.

There have been others, including the M1 in England when it was snowing - boring, but I got to where I wanted to go.

Over the years I learned to cope. Experiment a bit and you will too.

On my hands I have found that mittens are the best. Sure it takes a bit of practice to use the controls, but once sussed it is much better than trying to work numb fingers. My mittens are thick suede. The lining on the palm side is just about all gone so I can feel things OK. If it is cold I wear woolen gloves under them.

Some people use those "Hippo Hands" muffs. They look a bit dicky, but are effective.

Layering is the secret over the rest of your body. Keep your body core and head warm, and blood will continue to flow to the extremities.

I wear a silk balaclava under my helmet and a scarf around my neck.

Wool (or silk if you can afford it) next to the skin is warmer, and more comfortable over a wider range of temperatures than synthetic fabric. Several thin layers is more effective and more comfortable that thick clothing.

For the outer layer wind and/or waterproof is my main criteria rather than adding warmth.

Carrying gear in a bag on the tank breaks the wind nicely too.

Oh, and don't go too fast. Speed adds to the wind chill factor.

Don't put your bike away for the winter.... use it..... post more pictures. That is what I like to see on a forum more than some more controversial topics.

Sorry, I am not adding any pictures of my own. I don't have a camera and getting one is not on my budget for the time being..... but will be one day.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good ride, looks chilly.
I wiped out on black ice on the angeles forrest hwy, maybe two miles off the crest hwy. There was no snow and it was about 2 in the afternoon. Got to watch for that too. I never heard of black ice before that.

·
Registered
455 Posts
oh california. how I envy you

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good ride, looks chilly.
I wiped out on black ice on the angeles forrest hwy, maybe two miles off the crest hwy. There was no snow and it was about 2 in the afternoon. Got to watch for that too. I never heard of black ice before that.

join us for the osborne run

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, awesome vistas there. I'd freeze my balls off going up that way. I'll wait till summer comes around to do HWY 2 and the 138 to Mt. Hight!

·
Registered
389 Posts
what time you guys ridding?

Where’s the rest of the So*Cal riders?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
we met last time around 12 on ventura and cold water in studio city... give me a call eight one eight 415 two one four nine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts