Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
So you're gonna be a biker..... welcome, but you're gonna be a squid for a bit, so here's a bit of advice:

The bike comes with an Owner's Manual. Read it.

Ditto.

Also ride well within the limits of your capability. You'll get better and better at it, and you'll have more fun.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome, Theres not a better bike out there to start on. Yes read the owners manual but when it comes to changing the oil i do it much more often than the owners manual tell you to do it. It only holds a quart and a half. Its the lifeblood of the engine. Oil is not that expensive and its easy to change. Take care of your engine and it will take care of you. After my motor was broke in i also switched it over to full syn. Motorcycle oil.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I agree with Tom. The owner's manual is a great place to start, but every owner's manual for every vehicle I've ever owned overstated the mileage.

I'm a new rider, too, so welcome to the club. I plan to change my oil about every 2500-3000 miles or at least once/season whichever comes first. I'm also seriously considering converting to synthetic, but I haven't decided for sure yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Owner's manual is a great place to start..but oil is cheap and owner's manuals are always overstated in mileage. Oil is cheap maintenance. I do my oil changes every 2000 kilometers. Also alot depends on how you ride it. If you push the limits do it more often if you drive sanely well you can go longer.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Go!!!! Have fun! You will learn along the way. Some stuff you pick up will be useless and crappola, other stuff will be useful and wise. Be discerning, smart and above all.....HAVE FUN! This is a great wee bike. As you will learn from this thread, riders with many years of experience are enjoying this 250 and some are surprised by its hidden talents. Keep the shiney side up:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha thanks everyone!

I'm buying a used CBR250R but the owner does not have a manual. So I searched through the forums to find out the service schedule and it popped up that guy. He said he copied it straight from the manual.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I go to about 7,000 miles between changes, on my 2 Hondas. Almost 100,000 miles on my '03 GL1800 Goldwing. Rock solid. Never an issue.

Welcome, and enjoy your new fun bike. I have not owned anything smaller than a 700cc bike in 30 years. Considering one of these bikes though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Haha thanks everyone!

I'm buying a used CBR250R but the owner does not have a manual. So I searched through the forums to find out the service schedule and it popped up that guy. He said he copied it straight from the manual.
I'd highly suggest trying to order a manual from Honda. That way you can stick it under the seat so you always know where it is. Failing that, I think there is a PDF of it floating around.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'd highly suggest trying to order a manual from Honda. That way you can stick it under the seat so you always know where it is. Failing that, I think there is a PDF of it floating around.
Here is the Owner's Manual:

http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/CBR250R-RA 32KYJE000.pdf

It's (in English) for the Malaysian version, but probably differs from others only in minor points (I would guess just in equipment to meet local regulations). I gather the US version of the manual is less comprehensive.

Click, open; click, save......... and there it is, on your hard-drive to answer all your questions.

One more thing to remember, it is a motorcycle you are going to be riding.... not a car with two wheels. I may sound odd in saying that, but it seems that is the way a lot of people when they come to motorcycling after years of driving.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I agree with Tom. The owner's manual is a great place to start, but every owner's manual for every vehicle I've ever owned overstated the mileage.

I'm a new rider, too, so welcome to the club. I plan to change my oil about every 2500-3000 miles or at least once/season whichever comes first. I'm also seriously considering converting to synthetic, but I haven't decided for sure yet.
Owner's manual is a great place to start..but oil is cheap and owner's manuals are always overstated in mileage. Oil is cheap maintenance. I do my oil changes every 2000 kilometers. Also alot depends on how you ride it. If you push the limits do it more often if you drive sanely well you can go longer.
On what do you base these rather profound statements?

Earlier generations of motorcycles from a simpler time didn't have an oil filter, and the oil that was available didn't have a very long service life. An oil change every 1,500 miles / 2000 km or three months was recommended.

For a bike such as the CB125, which had the cam running in plain bearings, an interval of 1,000 km was essential. For a Chinese knock off of the same, with the cam running in roller bearings, the oil change interval was be extended.

Technology has improved. Oil service life is much longer now, which manufacturers can take advantage of by installing a filter to remove solid bits before they get pumped around the engine. Much longer oil change intervals can be specified, and are.

Honda do recommend more frequent changes in dusty conditions. If you do a lot of short short trips around town, or ride hard a lot shorter intervals could also be of some benefit.

Otherwise, is there any real reason not to follow Honda's scheduled changes using the oil specified?

Unless you subscribe to the conspiracy theory that they are trying to shorten the life of their vehicles..... Of course there is always someone who knows better.

I have owned four Hondas over the past 27 years, and still own two of them.

I have no idea what the milage the 1983 MB100 has done now, a much abused two-stroke, overhauled once.

The CB250RS I did over 25,000 miles on, had done about 75,000 miles (120,000 km) and was still running well without an overhaul when it was stolen.

The early 80's Honda City car had done over 270,000 km (167,000 miles) without an overhaul when I sold it in 2001, still running well; I was leaving the country.

My present ride, a 1997 100cc Honda Dream has done 194,000 km (120,000 miles), overhauled at 170,000 km.

I have just followed the recommended oil change intervals..... Make what you like of that.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I based my comments on erring on the side of caution. It costs next to nothing to change it more frequently, it does no harm to change it more frequently, and it may actually prolong the engine's life. Since the process of an oil change also is a perfect opportunity to check other mechanicals, doing so more frequently may also reveal some other problem that one may not have noticed otherwise. None of these are really profound, but 3,000m or once per season seems pretty reasonable to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After break in Honda Syn

I tested engines for 30 years. I believe in oil changes. I always break-in the engine according to the manufacturer's procedures. I also leave the original oil in the engine until break in is over. Then I change to the manufacture's synthetic oil and change it once a year as I do not ride more than 2000 miles per motorcycle per year.. More riding equals more oil changes.

I based my comments on erring on the side of caution. It costs next to nothing to change it more frequently, it does no harm to change it more frequently, and it may actually prolong the engine's life. Since the process of an oil change also is a perfect opportunity to check other mechanicals, doing so more frequently may also reveal some other problem that one may not have noticed otherwise. None of these are really profound, but 3,000m or once per season seems pretty reasonable to me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I put on a total of 21,000 miles last year. I guess that means I should've done at least 10 oil changes...:D

NOT!!
100,000 miles on my Goldwing. Oil changed every 8,000 miles. Running like a dream.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Whatever floats your Goldwing. Most of us ride real small bikes... What is your point?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts