Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, this is my first post here

I recently got my motorcycle driver's license (after 20 years of driving cars I wanted to try something new:)).

I just talked to the Honda dealer here in Israel about buying an ABS CBR250. He told me that they are out of stock of ABS bikes and are not planning on ordering more... Claims they were a very hard sale here in Israel compared to the non-ABS models. And so the next shipment of 50 bikes they ordered from Honda is all non-ABS. He wasn't sure if I could make a special order for an ABS bike but even if it was possible it would take months to deliver.

What are your thoughts - as a new rider should would you insist and possibly wait months to get an ABS bike?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would say depends on if it is what you want or not. I know for me I wanted the ABS model. My first bike and it is an extra safety feature. more experienced riders might feel more comfortable with the non abs version though. I would say wait if it is what you want.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
On four wheels ABS is a game changer.

Slam on the brakes without any finesse and the driver can stop quickly and maintain directional control because the wheels don't lose traction. ABS can make up for lack of driver skill.

On two wheels ABS can help, but I don't see it as a game changer.

A rider on a ABS equipped bike can stop quickly without losing traction (therefore have a better chance of maintaining control) in a straight line. However, if you are too heavy on the brakes when swerving, you will likely be off your bike if it loses lateral traction; ABS is of little or no benefit when changing direction. Rider skill is still paramount.

Your call.

I would be tempted by ABS if it was available, but I wouldn't wait if I needed/wanted a bike. (In my case usually "need"; motorcycles are transport for me, not a toy)

·
Registered
111 Posts
There have been long, drawn-out battles on this forum and elsewhere on whether learning to ride on an ABS is a good thing or not. My opinion is that ABS is useful to a new rider. But do your own research, read up, watch the videos, and make up your own mind.

Now about your dealer... recognize first and foremost that the salesman is trying to sell his existing stock. My theory is that dealers don't order ABS on bikes because it adds more to the price and thus makes it a slightly harder sell.

If you want an ABS bike, I say order it and wait. If the dealer is doing enough business that he can buy 50 bikes per order, it is well within his ability to order an ABS CBR250R for you. You may have to insist, you may have to wait awhile, you may have to pay a bit more. If he stands his ground, go find another dealer who is willing to take your money for the bike that you want. I don't know how it is in Israel, but where I live in the U.S. there are at least five Honda Powersports dealerships within a hour of where I live and the economy is so poor right now that they'd jump through hoops to special-order me a brand-new bike, even if it meant I had to wait awhile.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Rain?

How often does it rain there? I think in the dry you will be hard pressed to exceed the front wheels braking traction in order to even activate the ABS. Even in the rain I have failed to lock the front brake when trying to do it on purpose. I sometimes think I would have liked to have it when I'm riding home in rain (which is fairly often where I live) on the highway but I didn't want to wait either.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I think I'll go for the non-ABS, given that there's not a lot of rain here anyway.

Now I only need to convince the wife... :mad:

·
745 Posts
ABS or non-ABS....

Spend a lot of time figuring out how to stop your motorcycle - learn how to get the maximum effectiveness out of the front brake, understanding how progressive braking works, etc.

Then ride with the intention being that you never have to apply the skills you practice. Keep a safe following distance, anticipate problems, watch for erratic driver behavior. Basically, assume that everyone in a car is trying to kill you.

Good Luck!

Luke

·
Registered
403 Posts
You will get the same benefit from ABS on a bike that you do in a car. When faced with a panic stop in less than perfect conditions it can help prevent the wheels from locking up and help you maintain steering control. In a car, that might mean not skidding into the car in front of you or into the curb. If you skid the front wheel on a bike you are probably crashing. A newer rider is much more likely to grab the brakes in a panic. If you panic and grab one or both brakes on a CBR250R ABS, the bike will stop, not skid.

A trained/practiced rider may be able to stop more quickly on good pavement without ABS, but not many of those "1 percenters" ride a CBR250R. As an experienced rider, it was worth $500 to me due to the variable conditions of pavement. Wet, dirty, etc.

That being said, if I couldn't find an ABS model, I probably would have bought the non-ABS version.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You will get the same benefit from ABS on a bike that you do in a car. When faced with a panic stop in less than perfect conditions it can help prevent the wheels from locking up and help you maintain steering control. In a car, that might mean not skidding into the car in front of you or into the curb. If you skid the front wheel on a bike you are probably crashing. A newer rider is much more likely to grab the brakes in a panic..
Poppycock, and it says so in the Owner's Manual (Page 63 of the Malaysian edition)

This model is also equipped with an Anti- lock Brake System (ABS) designed to help prevent wheel lock up during hard braking on uneven or other poor surfaces while running straight. Although the wheel may not lock up-if you are braking too hard in a turn the motorcycle can still lose traction, causing a loss of control.

In some situations, a motorcycle with ABS may require a longer stopping distance to stop on loose or uneven surfaces than an equivalent motorcycle without ABS.

ABS cannot make up for road conditions, bad judgment, or improper operation of the brakes. It is still your responsibility to ride at reasonable speeds for weather, road surface, and traffic conditions, and to leave a margin of safety.

ABS can help a sensible rider in some situations, but it's not a cure-all. Acting like an idiot and relying on it as a guardian angel and ABS becomes a dangerous thing.

(There you are; I've just said that ABS is dangerous! Please take that in context)

You should be looking to avoid trouble, not stopping in a panic. Note what you want to avoid, but look where you want to go....

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i waited 2 months for a non-abs when i ordered it back in may..i would probably still be waiting for a abs model.....i also probably wouldnt have gotten the abs anyway unless they had a red/silver in stock sitting there already...
but most of us had to wait months too..so go abs if thats what you really really want and can handle months of waiting

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I think I'll go for the non-ABS, given that there's not a lot of rain here anyway.

Now I only need to convince the wife... :mad:

galllis, hould you have an iffy relationship with your wife you might want to mention that riders of ABS equipped bikes have 37% fewer fatal accidents than those riding bikes without ABS. VBG

Seriously though, think about it! You're a beginner on motorcycles, why would you not want an ABS bike? That just might be the thing that keeps you in one piece long enough to learn how to ride!

1. $500 is too much for an almost for sure reduction in the chances you'll be killed while learning how to ride?

2. Your local dealer doesn't have one? He's the only one in your country?

3. It doensn't rain that much? Sheesh! What about dust, sand, oil, irrigation water, banana peels and just plain old stupidity?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
ABS equipped bikes have 37% fewer fatal accidents than those riding bikes without ABS. VBG
Probably says more about the people who use the technology than the technology itself. Until the CBR250R, ABS on bikes was the preserve of higher end machines, usually bought by more experienced riders.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have a 2009 yamaha FJR 1300 with ABS. I have 21,000 miles on it and have never had the use the ABS yet. Its not a big selling point to me. My dealer didnt even order any ABS models as he thought it really wasnt needed on that small of a bike and didnt think people would be willing to pay the difference.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
ABS is no dillema.. its great, you can feel it working and push it very .. very hard.

Bet I can stop quicker and with more confidence than on a non abs bike.
Cant do stoppies on this bike tho as the forks dive way too much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Motorcycles are heavily taxed in Israel, which means the premium for the ABS is about $1000. (the non-ABS CBR250 costs $10,000 here!!) this may explain why it is less popular. Also, there's only one exclusive importer of Honda bikes, and if they choose not to import some model, there's not much you could do about it.

Still, it appears my biggest problem right now is not whether to ABS or not, but how to convince the wife to let me buy a motorcycle... any motorcycle... Suggestions welcome, although I realize it is not really a CBR specific question...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts