Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I replaced the rear tire on my bike and when I put the wheel back on I screwed up a bit and put the spacers on the wrong sides. I fixed the problem and got the wheel installed correctly, but now the ABS light wont stop flashing. At first it would constantly pulse the brakes when I stepped on them but now it seems to have completely backed off. The brakes are still working fine, but the ABS doesn't seem to be functioning. Do you think I broke the sensor? The wheel seems to be fine, no bends or anything, but I do know that was rubbing up against the sensor at one point. If I did mess this up would I have to replace the entire caliper or can just the sensor be replaced?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think it would be ok to keep riding until the part comes in? The breaks seem to be working properly, its just not doing the ABS part. Front brake seems unaffected. I know this bike has the combined ABS, I wonder if the rear wheel acting up will keep the front from behaving properly.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
depends what you mean by 'acting up', and what you mean by 'the abs part'
if your satisfied the front brake is functioning normally then its safe to ride
in the sense of having braking ability.. abs also equalises forces between
front and back for stability, so if its still stable generally, then it should
be ok [emphasis on should].. while brakes will function as brakes
without abs, as a non-abs bikes brakes will under normal braking,
this is still not something to take for granted, obviously..

even for your own peace of mind if youre not certain of
the situation then best have an expert look at it..

for this moment, its down to you as a motorcyclist
to decide based on riding your bike wether or not
its safe to ride generally, or to the expert for
analysis etc.. riding is also testing/checking..

·
Registered
504 Posts
Are the tires taller or a different size?

I had a Buick come in the shop once that had a tire replaced somewhere else. They didn't have the correct 225/65R16, so they put on a 215/70R16 tire of the same brand and model. Anything over 65mph, the ABS would pulse when braking normally. Since the difference in tire size, the ABS computer thought the one wheel was slowing down faster than the others. There was about a 7 or 8 mph wheel speed difference that I could see on the Tech2, throwing the ABS system off. The faster I drove the more the difference in wheel speeds.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
OP would have chipped the sensor on the caliper or damaged/bent the ring on the wheel, it should have a 1mm gap, and care must be taken fitting the wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. I ordered a new sensor and I think I'll just pull the ABS fuse for now just to be on the safe side. I rode it around and it seems to be riding fine without it so hopefully the new sensor will fix everything.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Let us know (when you get it) if that did fix everything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news! New sensor seems to have fixed it. I didn't realize how badly damaged the old one was until the new one came in and I could compare them. It was a bit of a pain to get on because I had to take pretty much all of the plastics on the right hand side off to get to the connector. Also, the rubber wire holders were a little tough to pop into place. All in all it took me about 20-30 minutes to replace.

Here is what the old ruined one looks like for reference:
ruined cbr250r abs sensor - Imgur

You can see where it has kind of buckled around the edges. The end of it was pushed inward and there was at least one noticeable gouge in it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good news! New sensor seems to have fixed it. I didn't realize how badly damaged the old one was until the new one came in and I could compare them. It was a bit of a pain to get on because I had to take pretty much all of the plastics on the right hand side off to get to the connector. Also, the rubber wire holders were a little tough to pop into place. All in all it took me about 20-30 minutes to replace.

Here is what the old ruined one looks like for reference:
ruined cbr250r abs sensor - Imgur

You can see where it has kind of buckled around the edges. The end of it was pushed inward and there was at least one noticeable gouge in it.
What is the cost of the ABS sensor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts