Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have ABS I have a few questions.
Is changing the brake fluid a bring it to the dealer event? Does the
system need to be hooked up to a computer at the dealer?
If it does how much did it cost?

Has anyone had the ABS fail and have to have the dealer service it?
How much did it cost?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
This is actually quite a good question. On my previous bike (BMW R1150RS), some parts of the ABS system which could fail, and did on some bikes, cost around £1,000 to replace. I was going to replace the rear brake pads on it, and I read in the service manual something about "if fluid leaks from such and such a place when compressing the pistons in the callipers, take it to the dealer). I thought that it was bound to happen to me, if I did replace them, so I got the dealer to do it. They only charged £20 labour, so I wasn't too upset. I tried to read the bleeding procedure for that bike, and you needed special tools, and a bloody degree in physics. :D I think that this is the one downside of ABS. Not really a problem with newish bikes, but once they start getting older, it could get very expensive to fix if problems do occur. I think that it's quite impressive that Honda only charge an extra £150 for the ABS version over here. I'd wager that if you priced the extra parts up separately, it'd come to almost 10 times that. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
shis - define 'fail'..

Define "define".

Wynne, in 04 I had a BMW. The shops loaner bike had ABS. The
owner did not want to put the cash into it to fix it. He told me
the brakes would work fine but they would lock like a non-ABS
bike. I got to know a bunch of riders with BMW's. Counting the
shop bike 8 out of 10 of the bikes with ABS had the expensive
ABS warning light come on. Repair bills ran from 800-1600.
I was talking to the owner of a tri,duc shop and he said some
of the bikes had to be hooked up to a computer to change the fluid,
count on 2-3 hours labor. Where I live you had better change your
brake fluid every 2 years. Those shops are charging 90+ an hr labor.

I was hoping for the cost and failure rate answer so people could make
a more informed decision when they purchase a bike.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's the same to replace brake fluid on abs as it is on non abs. I use a vacume bleeder at work & it takes 10mins tops.
As for things that go wrong there are 2 sensors that could play up or a module & not much else.
I went for non abs as I don't ride in the rain but I did fit braided s/s lines front & rear that did make a huge difference to stopping power & far better feel. I also replaced the fluid to penrite dot4 racing fluid. I can out brake my mates abs cbr all day long, But having said that I do practice emergency stops once a week for half an hour & it's saved me a few times because I know how the bike reacts because I've practiced it a 1000 times.
If you get abs bonus if not just don't panic & stab the brakes... Practice in a quiet parking lot.
Have fun & stay safe

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my cbr upon pressing the brakes the abs unit gives strong irregular jerk on the brake levers along with some spring sound which comes from the abs modulator. If the abs fuse are taken out the disk brakes aate working properly. Can anyone share the solution?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts