Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 404 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
VERY interesting...right up to the part where they say that Europe is 'ahead' of the U.S. by making ABS mandatory. I'm a big fan of ABS and I believe it's the right way to go, but I'm just not a big fan on making more rules. Thanks for the post, though. My next bike will be ABS for sure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the post match1. It's nice to see the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's take on ABS equipped motorcycles.

I'm happy I got my CBR250R with ABS. I hope manufacturers make it more common so that owners of all bikes can get the bike of their choice with ABS should they want it. Unfortunately, some manufacturers apparently aren't finding enough demand for ABS to offer it, at least on some bikes. For example, in a Motorcyclist Magazine article on the ZX-14R, Kawasaki is quoted as saying "There’s no consumer demand”. Kawasaki has experienced weak sales of ABS-equipped ZX-10Rs (Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R | First Ride - Motorcyclist Magazine).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my ABS it has saved me on the highway.

I was braking hit a patch of oil and it kept me from skidding freaks you out when your peddle and brake handle start pulsing.

it has activated a few times when wet also worked great.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think cost has a lot to do with it. My dealer didnt order any ABS models because they didnt think anyone would want to pay the price difference

·
Registered
350 Posts
Said it before... I would have preferred ABS -- just wasn't available.

That having been said, I've had to make a number of quick stops (and one or two *very* quick stops, in less than ideal conditions), and I've found this little guy handles it pretty well. I don't know if it's the physics of the bike, the better-than-advertised grip of the IRC's, or cold, dumb, luck...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As a new rider, having abs builds confidence for me. I have heard too many stories of hitting an invisible patch of oil or sand. Also I think Honda is on the right track putting it on an entry level bike for a reasonable $500 bucks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^ Knowing how to properly react is more valuable than ABS.

·
Registered
628 Posts
^ Knowing how to properly react is more valuable than ABS.
Agreed. I dont have abs. I have a quick thinking mind though. Have mot had a problem with mine yet. I have locked up the rear brake on my hd though( no front brake). Super sketchy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hope for the best - plan for the worst! I think that is how the saying goes anyway. I have to agree with the other posters that knowing how to react is more important but I still think that having abs can help get you out of unanticipated situations. Abs brakes are not helpful and even dangerous if you don't know how to use them. Reminds me of another article: Driver, not the ABS, is the problem - The Globe and Mail

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
^ Well said. Knowing how to properly react does not negate the benefits of ABS. I think that at $500 ABS is a good value. I have two non-ABS CBRs because the dealer was willing to sell the to me at about $1000 lower per bike than the ABS models. However, my wife was interested in the Rebel until she learned that the brakes are better on the CBR. I guess it's about getting the best performance (in this case braking) for your money. :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Making the abs pulse when braking teaches you heaps.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The problem is that a lot of people don't even know how to brake in their cars....

Move that over to a bike and you have a bunch of people locking up their wheels and such...

So here comes in ABS....ABS isn't the be all and end all though....pretty sure it won't do crap if you grab a handful in a corner. I still do wish I could've gotten ABS on mine but aI didn't want to wait months for my bike. I am more than ok with the bike's wet performance though.

I think having ABS on a first bike can build 'over-confidence' in the technology as well..especially to someone who doesn't understand how it works and how braking works.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The way I understand it, the ABS for the cbr250r - when you engage the rear brake, it engages 2 pistons of the front brake. That's terrible. I want my bike to do what I tell it, not extra. so low speed maneuvers, you press the rear and the front comes on too - that's bad...

I'm sorry but I just don't see the value in extra cost and weight for something that I could do without to begin with. That's only me though - If you think you need it, go for it and I won't think any less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have ABS on my bike.

ABS is by no means a an assurance that you're never gonna crash, as with cars. However, have a more efficient braking system can never be a bad thing can it?

And I agree with you as a rider being able to avoid 99% of potential accidents, you should be able to read the road. But for that 1% where you cannot avoid having to grab your brakes, I think that extra couple of hundred for the ABS model just paid for itself.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When you apply the back brake, it is linked to the front middle piston. It goes through a proportioning valve, so the front is not necessarily applied at the same rate as the rear. I doubt if most riders even notice it. I had a VFR with fully linked brakes and it worked seamlessly.....as does my 250ABS.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I will probably get ABS on any new bike I purchase. I wish I got the ABS version. I really didn't want to wait months for it though, or wait for a 2012 model. I'm just too impatient.:p

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Its the front brake you use 99.99% anyway, but the combined rear works very well.

I just dont understand why ppl think abs is a bad thing.
I got it because it has a decent caliper to start with.

Anyone here own abs, rides hard, and DOES NOT like it?

The only thing wrong Ive found is fitting a headlift stand for racing, but will work around that.

1 - 20 of 404 Posts