Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my front brake is getting low on fluid ive noticed, there is no leak, has anyone had this problem? also if i add fluid will i need to bleed the brakes? and if i get air in my brake lines, what happens?

·
745 Posts
You do not need to bleed the brakes if you're just adding to the reservoir. However, I'd take it to the dealer - the fluid does not evaporate or anything, so if you're losing fluid it's going somewhere... Better to start a documentation trail earlier than later.

p.s. make sure you point out that it concerns you because it's a safety issue.
p.s.2. check to make sure the puck isn't leaking (most likely place). look for streaks on the disc rotor and wheel, and check the bellows (the rubber dust cover for the brake puck) to see if it's bulging.

Good eye, by the way - the habit of "keeping and eye" on things like fluid levels, air pressure, and the general health of your bike will serve you well.

·
Registered
221 Posts
my front brake is getting low on fluid ive noticed, there is no leak, has anyone had this problem? also if i add fluid will i need to bleed the brakes? and if i get air in my brake lines, what happens?

It shouldn't leak, did you actually see drops anywhere? If not then it could be low because the dealership did not bleed it properly for you the first time. If the brake caliper is empty, once you use the brakes for the first time, it will fill up, causing the fluid to transfer out of the reservoir.

If you get air in your lines, then your brakes simply will be less effective. The way a brake works is by putting pressure on the pads to compress them around the disk. The fluid acts as the medium to transfer the pressure from the lever to the caliper, if there is air in the lines, then when you put pressure, the air in the line compresses instead of being transferred 1:1 to the pads.

Its simple, but actually a BIG deal, take it to the dealership to make sure it is bleed properly.

Normally, if you have not gone too low on brake fluid to expose the opening in the reservior, you don't need to bleed again, but if your's have not been bleed in the first place, or your are exposing the opening, then you need to bleed.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
On a new bike..wouldnt it be normal for the fluid lvl to drop some as the pads are broken in...i notice that mine also seems lower than when i first got it 5 days ago..after 500 miles it still sits above the lower mark but not by much..there isnt anything leaking anywhere that I can tell....im sure they will check it for my first service later this week ..ill be sure to ask them about it

·
Registered
221 Posts
On a new bike..wouldnt it be normal for the fluid lvl to drop some as the pads are broken in...i notice that mine also seems lower than when i first got it 5 days ago..after 500 miles it still sits above the lower mark but not by much..there isnt anything leaking anywhere that I can tell....im sure they will check it for my first service later this week ..ill be sure to ask them about it
If its bleed properly, i would not expect it to drop a noticeable amount, true it will drop some tho. Don't quote me on this.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I really dont know where normal is on the front reservoir...while you have the bike upright, Where does your fluid level fall, mine is just above the Lower mark....I see that my back reservoir is also below the full mark but no where near the low mark...thats what confusing, there is no high or full mark on the front..should the fluid fill the whole little circular window when the bike is sitting upright?

·
Registered
221 Posts
to get the reservoir strait, twist your handlebars fully to the left, and I believe inside the reservoir there is a "full" line if it is not on the window itself.

I believe it should just about hit the top of the window. The thing is if your bike is new and the pads are fresh and the caliper is fully pressed in, you really cant have too much fluid, so just fill it to almost the top before it spills out.

Now if your pads are used and the caliper pistons are out some, you really don't want to fill it to the top, because when you change your pads, it will overflow.

If you really want to be safe, you can open up your caliper and push the pistons all the way in, fill the reservoir to the top and be done with it but this requires some dissemblaly.

·
Registered
576 Posts
to get the reservoir strait, twist your handlebars fully to the left, and I believe inside the reservoir there is a "full" line if it is not on the window itself.

I believe it should just about hit the top of the window. The thing is if your bike is new and the pads are fresh and the caliper is fully pressed in, you really cant have too much fluid, so just fill it to almost the top before it spills out.

Now if your pads are used and the caliper pistons are out some, you really don't want to fill it to the top, because when you change your pads, it will overflow.

If you really want to be safe, you can open up your caliper and push the pistons all the way in, fill the reservoir to the top and be done with it but this requires some dissemblaly.
+1
unless you see wetness anywhere around the brake assembly
like the lines or actual brake,
i would'nt add any unless it is lower than the reservoirs lowest
mark.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
on mine i didnt realize i had to turn the wheel so the reservoir was lvl....the little window is full that way..so i guess im not low after all..plus I had the first service done yesterday and they said they didnt find anything wrong with the bike..all the valves were within tolerance too

·
Registered
221 Posts
on mine i didnt realize i had to turn the wheel so the reservoir was lvl....the little window is full that way..so i guess im not low after all..plus I had the first service done yesterday and they said they didnt find anything wrong with the bike..all the valves were within tolerance too
Good job. I think i read the turning all the way to the left in the owners manual. Glad your bike is fine!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Good job. I think i read the turning all the way to the left in the owners manual. Glad your bike is fine!
As I am in Indonesia, the bike came with the manual in Indonesian. It just said " with the bike standing upright and level", no mention of turning the handle bars all the way left. But looking at the reservoir I figured it had to be level (I admit when I first just stood the bike up and I saw the fluid level down I thought s..t the bike's only a few months old!!) so turning the handle bars to the left makes the reservoir perfectly level.
Actually most maintenance on this bike is fairly easy - oil check etc. But the coolant level slot seems a little obscure, especially when you are alone and trying to hold the bike upright unpropped. I had to unscrew the cover to be able to see it properly. Any tips from CBR250 owners? As this is my first bike with a radiator I'm a little unsure - should I be checking it every day? Or is that heat gauge reliable?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Another thing to consider. Brake fluid level will drop as the pads wear. When the fluid gets low, it's time to check the brake pads. As a rule, never routinely top up brake fluid. When new pads are installed you push the pistons back in and the level will be too high. Always check for leaks as part of your routine pre-ride inspection.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
If you need fluid, you need new pads or have a leak.

Pages 42 and 60.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, owners manual says
Front Brake Fluid Level:

With the motorcycle in an upright position,
check the fluid level. It should be above the
LOWER level mark. If the level is at or
below the LOWER level mark, check the
brake pads for wear (page 100).

And I have the same thing with my CBR. Didn't notice it until recently but after first 250km the level of front brake fluid reservoir is really low. At the border of "lower" mark. The rear reservoir is fine - filled up to about 3/4.

It concerns me, because this weekend I want to ride home and back to my apartment which is just about 500km journey (that's over 300+ miles).

Still not sure what to do with this low brake fluid level... :confused:

·
Registered
501 Posts
My bike only has about 180 miles on it. I noticed my front fluid dropped a little bit. No leak nothing. Suspect they didnt bleed them a factory correct. Have to bleed it. I had to bleed my rear brake to get the air out, now it works alot better

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL:

Turn the handlebar to left so the reservoir is level and check front brake fluid level thru the glass window..if the level is near the LOWER level line fill with recommended brake fluid.

And maybe I need to put air in my rear brake line..it has always locked up way too easy for my liking..would love if it it just slowed me down without locking up everytime I tromp on the lever a little too hard

·
Registered
9 Posts
FROM THE SERVICE MANUAL:

Turn the handlebar to left so the reservoir is level and check front brake fluid level thru the glass window..if the level is near the LOWER level line fill with recommended brake fluid.
Where did you find that one spdklls? Thx.

Also, can I bleed the breaks by myself? Or do I need to ride to the dealership?

Thanks,
LC

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Where did you find that one spdklls? Thx.

Also, can I bleed the breaks by myself? Or do I need to ride to the dealership?

Thanks,
LC
I got it straight out of the CBR250R SERVICE MANUAL of course.

And you can bleed them yourself if your up to it...just google or do a search for "how to bleed motorcycle brakes"..the same principal applies to all motorcycles, including ours

1 - 20 of 21 Posts