Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i purchased my standard CBR 2 months back. but observing the traffic conditions around me. i am in a serious need of C-ABS.

does honda adds on the C-ABS system to standard models later on ?

whats the cost?

p.s : genuine honda C-ABS

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It has been discussed before, if not on this forum, certainly on another.

In short; it is probably possible, but would be expensive as it would require replacing a lot of parts. You would be better to quit the bike and buy an ABS model.

Like many others I think you are a troll because of the dicky questions you ask and your lack of response to any reply (which would be common courtesy).

But then some others think I am a bit of a troll around these parts at times too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Instead of retrofitting ABS why not increase your sight distance?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Posted By soham2rescue
a firm and stiff helmet holder

its like. i need to wear helmet on highways. but in cities here in india. traffic is too much. so helmet actually makes it uncomfortable. and also spoils my hairstyle :p

i wanted to ask. is there...

No helmet but you think you need ABS because of the traffic!?
Heh... funny fella.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Posted By soham2rescue
a firm and stiff helmet holder

its like. i need to wear helmet on highways. but in cities here in india. traffic is too much. so helmet actually makes it uncomfortable. and also spoils my hairstyle :p

i wanted to ask. is there...

No helmet but you think you need ABS because of the traffic!?
Heh... funny fella.
yah "the hairstyle thing" was jus a easy going line. not the reason. because i am a new rider and i LEARNT to ride a bike on my CBR. so my driving sense is not much elite. and my daily trafffic route is horibly jammed. and d helmet creates problems.

anyways not the poin of discussions. i probably presented it the wrong way. my bad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has been discussed before, if not on this forum, certainly on another.

In short; it is probably possible, but would be expensive as it would require replacing a lot of parts. You would be better to quit the bike and buy an ABS model.

Like many others I think you are a troll because of the dicky questions you ask and your lack of response to any reply (which would be common courtesy).

But then some others think I am a bit of a troll around these parts at times too.

really sorry for that kind of gesture

·
Registered
43 Posts
For most people ABS is a gimmick.
If you ride properly there is no need for it .
relax and enjoy !
This is NOT true when the roads are slick, for whatever reason. Utter nonsense.

·
Registered
576 Posts
For most people ABS is a gimmick.
If you ride properly there is no need for it .
relax and enjoy !
+1
i would;nt ride in the rain/wet conditions anyways.
IMO it dampens your riding skills depending on it.
like i said just my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I said "if you ride properly there is no need for it" no matter what conditions. If you want to ride beyond your skills,then ok!
I have had bikes with and without ABS over many years and can't say I noticed any difference.
Again,it's only an opinion like all the others.

·
Registered
999 Posts
My 250 is regular brakes. I haven't yet owned a bike with ABS.
I've learned to brake well enough to get by fine with out it even when the roads are wet.

However, for the new riders out there I think ABS is a really wonderful thing.
You can learn where the brake limits are without crossing the line of loss traction. It's much better than the way I had to learn. Push to find the limits and pray you can get her back when you do find them. In my teenage years I had at least one nasty get off learning those limits. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

So in short: ABS is nice to have if it works properly but more importantly, it's a good learning tool. See if you can brake fast & hard WITHOUT kicking in the ABS. When you can do that you'll know you've found the limit. And you will have done so in a much safer manor than I and my generation did.

On Edit: to give a clue as to my generations age: I was a teenager from 1983 through 1989. We had no idea what ABS was back then :D

·
Registered
999 Posts
To get back to the topic:

Converting a non ABS model to ABS would be a nightmare.

You would need speed sensors plus speed rings which might require new rotors.
You would need new brake lines, new calipers and a new ecm or the stock ecm flashed if that's possible. I would wager a whole new ecm (programmed for ABS) would be required.

All this is ASSUMING that both bikes are wired the same way. If the non ABS is not wired the same than the cost gets even more outrageous because you would then need the whole wiring harness. The bike would be in the shop at least a week. Labor charges alone would be cardiac arrest inducing. I won't get into the cost of parts.

·
Registered
724 Posts
ABS on a CBR600RR, 1000RR cause your probably going to want to nail the throttle and hanging on for dear life but on a 250R I say pass and just pass attention out there. I love my bike for its handling but power, no its about as fast as a Hyundai Accent. I would save the money on ABS.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
ABS is great.. brake hard from 150kph and you'll love it.
Never ridden a bike with it till this one and will never go without it again.
Took about 5k's on my first ride to be converted.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
really sorry for that kind of gesture
No problem, you are not a troll after all, just a squid!

The ABS issue is fairly well covered here and in the other thread I gave you a link to.

Some swear by ABS, especially those who ride hard. I thought it was a great idea when I first saw it available as a modestly priced option. However on looking at ABS closer I don't see it as the game changer it was for cars

I would be tempted if the option was available on a bike to be used mainly on sealed road, but I don't see it as a biggie. Forget retrofitting.

On the helmet question; it is a good idea to wear one any time on the road, but riding in an environment similar to yours, I have little time for the MSF graduates mantra ATGATT.

I have never been able to get along with full face helmets, though if I was racing or riding hard on open roads and highways I would be inclined to get used to wearing one. I don't ride fast, but I noticed that when I was wearing a full face helmet my speed increased, and I was less aware of just how fast I was going, and the environment in general. I use an open face 3/4 helmet at home.

In relatively slow moving heavy traffic, in a hot environment a full face helmet is uncomfortable, and restricts peripheral vision and hearing. Any increase in protection has to be weighed against the disadvantages.

Here in Phuket, where I seldom go faster than about 65 km/hr, I wear a well fitting shortie helmet. It is comfortable and does not restrict my vision or hearing, but would protect the most vulnerable part of my head in an accident.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The ABS modulator alone has a price of over a thousand US dollars.

Clearly THC only sensible way for your to ride an ABS equipped CBR250R is to sell your non-ABS model and buy an ABS equipped one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts