Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the in levers from adjustable-levers.com...They look nice, I went with a black lever w/red adjuster, has the CBR250R logo on the levers. Was told by the dealer that the install wouldn't be anything to worry about. It shouldn't have been a big deal at all- take bolt out, take stock lever off, put lever on, tighten bolt, test. That's how the front brake went, easy.

The clutch however...take bolt out, remove lever from cable, introduce new lever to cable, slide in...and then in the process of threading the bolt, things went wrong. There was way too much resistance trying to screw it in... I thought the threads mights be a tad off, so I backed it out and tried wiggling the lever to help get the proper angle. In the span of time it took to screw it in again, and test different positions with maybe 30 squeezes of the lever, the bolt bored out the perch.

Fucking fail.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Does the bolt fit thru the clutch lever hole while disassembled?
If it doesnt- ream the hole till it does.

Also remember to lube all contact surfaces & threads with grease or never seize.
And get oil down that clutch cable while its released.
This gives you good feel and makes the cable last a lifetime.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Disassembled, I put the bolt through the lever and it worked fine,

I put just the lever on and moved it around in the perch...seemed fine

But when putting the bolt through, the lever would get completely stuck or very sticky.

I used silicon-based lubricant on the bolt and lever...

This sucks something bad. I have to get a new perch, in the mean time I will be riding with the bolt and nut tapped for security...

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Alot of those cheap and nasty anodised bits might look hollywood, but often the machining tolerances (ie drilled crooked) are very China.

I fly RC helis and find the same thing about many parts.

So... here is an idea-
put a helicoil in the perch to reclaim the thread instead of replacement.
And when you refit the lever sand the offending high spot with some wet & dry sandpaper on a rod/dowell/round file etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spoke with a local repair shop who said they could put a coil in for roughly $38 (time + the coil), then I spoke with my Honda dealer and they said they also could put in the coil, but they could order a new perch for $10.

I was really surprised it was that cheap, but then not really because it's probably only worth that much if the threads bored out that easily.

I'm going to have the dealer take a shot at putting the clutch lever in to see if they encounter the same issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just got a set of these today (didn't see this thread until just now).
The hole in the clutch lever mount was off by about 1 mm, so the bolt wouldn't even go in.

I've borrowed naaim's photo (thanks, naaim; hope you don't mind) and edited it, as I failed to take a photo of mine during this procedure (I got tired of fiddling with it and just wanted the job done).

In order to get the hole in the lever mount to match up with the hole in the perch, and thus allow the pivot bolt to pass through properly, I filed off about 1 to 1.5 mm from the the lever mount (where the arrows are in the photo below) where it was abutting the perch. I had to file off enough so that the lever mount doesn't bind up against the perch and stick when actuated. Works great now. (Note: don't file out the hole, as that will introduce play.)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Alot of those cheap and nasty anodised bits might look hollywood, but often the machining tolerances (ie drilled crooked) are very China.

I fly RC helis and find the same thing about many parts.

So... here is an idea-
put a helicoil in the perch to reclaim the thread instead of replacement.
And when you refit the lever sand the offending high spot with some wet & dry sandpaper on a rod/dowell/round file etc.
Aufitt... The way you phrase things is the best.

Great info, yet still entertaining.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: Aufitt

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a previous thread about these Lovely Hong Kong Levers and yes the solution is buy American you get what you pay for, or grind the outside as indicated for perch clearance and then the levers look great and work fine. The ebay seller even sent me a replacement part but it had the same issue. A little grinding and it looks and works great. I'm happy now.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
buy cheap...buy twice

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I bought my adjustable levers from the same place the OP did and mine installed perfectly..just like 99% of all the other people I know who bought them ...not every single set will always be perfect..not even if you bought some HIGH DOLLAR expensive ones

·
Registered
97 Posts
I bought my adjustable levers from the same place the OP did and mine installed perfectly..just like 99% of all the other people I know who bought them ...not every single set will always be perfect..not even if you bought some HIGH DOLLAR expensive ones
Same here. I had no issues. biggest pain in the @ss was re-adjusting the clutch cable, but even that wasn't a big deal.
Just remember, always dry fit the bolts and stuff first before you start putting it all together. It'll save alot of heartache later on down the line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm having the same problem. The hole is threaded already! I noticed that the new lever had some nicking where it was rubbing the lever perch. I'm going to file off a little material where the nicks are and expect I'll be able to align the holes and thread the pivot bolt.
Wish me luck as once I do it they won't be returnable but it's so close to fitting !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have seen this issue over and over again. I would like to suggest that the level is machined at the correct spec. The issue is that the bracket that the level sets in has excessive paint and poor machining within the inner cavity where the level mounts. Being that it is really hard to correct this issue. Filing the leveler is the solution.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts