Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys

I'm new to the world of motorcycles, can someone please explain to me the "Pro-Link single shock rear suspension with five positions of spring preload adjustability"? Why and how would you adjust the rear suspension?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Some like it hard, some like it soft. Will change the feel of how the bike handles, as it affects its steering geometry and centre of gravity. Lowering it will make the suspension harder, but the bike more stable, and more responsive in the corners.

I'm in Thailand and the setting is for a 70kg rider. I'm 75kg and haven't played around with it yet.

BTW, the stock CBR feels perfectly stable when being pinned at an indicated 155kph.

·
745 Posts
There's a single shock in front of the rear wheel instead of the two on the side you may be used to seeing on some of the V-twins and on older-design bikes like the Honda Rebel. A circular sleeve on the shock has detents at different heights - by turning it, you can increase the preload on the shock.

Note that setting it tighter will not increase the bike's height - it just makes the spring a bit stiffer, meaning you have to put more weight on the seat before the shock starts to compress.

The "optimal" setting depends on your weight and how you ride. A heavier guy (or those adding things like bags) will want to dial up the preload so that the bike won't use half the suspension travel before he hits a bump. An aggressive rider will also dial it up so that it won't compress as much in hard cornering. Everything's a compromise - more preload = stiffer ride.

Note the setting when you get your bike. Ride it awhile, then change it and see if you like it better. Keep in mind that with most OEM shocks, the differences are slight between settings, so try to avoid the "I changed it, must be better" syndrome. If every bump you hit feels like a curb, tone it down. If you feel the suspension bottom out frequently, turn it up.

BTW, per redline, 70kg is 155 lbs - that's probably the center setting (Redline?). If you weigh 145 or less, I'd start with the second notch, 165 or more the forth. Go from there.

Note also that if it's like every other Honda, suppliers will shortly be coming out with shock options that will allow you to adjust a myraid of parameters - typically, they're most useful if you have a really good friend (or mechanic) that knows how to set a bike up for the track. They're expensive, but can totally change the personality of a bike (in the wrong direction if you're not careful).

Good Luck!

Luke

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah its all just adjustable settings, moving the collar up and locking the spring higher will give a stiffer ride and ie vice versa, as for the piston lock it more of just lets say a dampener setting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be owner from India-Advise needed kindly help

Hi Fellow riders

I am from India and I have booked one Silver beauty for myself. Now situation here in India from all angles is grim in terms of delivery of the bike to road conditions to dealers being non-helpful etc. What I am concerned about is the suspension setting on this bike. Please note this that I still do not have the bike in my possession and what follows in the thread is someone else's TR impression of the bike. My friend tested this bike on uneven bad roads and found the bike to be very jumpy and every little innuendo on the road was transferred on to his shoulders and back. Me and him are exactly of same height and weight which comes to 5'11 height and 105 kg weight. Can you please clarify below points:

1) Does the stock bike (out of the factory and on to the showroom space) comes with stifferer preload settings?

2) If yes can you please provide a pictorial description (if I am not asking too much) of how one can go about adjusting the suspension (rear pro link since front is non-adjustable pair of shocks) and if No then what is the way around this issue since the roads we ride in the city as well as out of town are not exactly silky and I do not wish to own shoulder and back issues along with this bike.

Your advise would be highly appreciated since I really want to enjoy at least 90% of this bikes potential if not 100%

Thanks a ton in advance
Regards
Parimal

·
Registered
116 Posts
No the front is non-adjustable ( I think I wrote in my original query about only the rear Pro-Link being adjustable and that too only Pre Load)
Ok sorry, i misunderstood then :), i never heard of an adjustable front, but maybe it exist, i dont know :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey nothing to be sorry about mate. Yes there adjustable shocks are available and there is a whole range of adjustments like Preload, compression, damping, rebound etc. For those bikes are costlier too (VFR 800, 1200F) have such shocks available (only VFR 1200F has both front and rear adjustments as mentioned above available whereas VFR 800 my ultimate favourite one has these adjustments only on rear prolink shockabsorbers and not front)

·
Registered
116 Posts
My aut. repairman who has worked with Hondabikes for over 25 years says the same - the VFR is the best build Honda throughout the years

I asked him why he think that; he said its so perfect build in everyway

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a good catch Luke...some have been complaining about too stiff a suspension and some think its too soft...........these Morifwaki guys have some other pretty neat farkles............
Thanks a lot for this info although this is something which needs to be bought separately. The problem/or lack of understanding of the rear suspension still remains especially on broken uneven tarmac we Indians are gladly given by government. I just hope the bike handles well on bad roads where the tarmac is not even and there are smaller potholes in them. This is not the case in Thailand I believe where roads are butter smooth (as far as I have read everywhere)

Regards
Parimal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys...my name is Henna, am new to this forum.
Am picking up myself a new cbr 250r... i have never test rode the bike but going with the the blind faith all Honda bikes last and are good handling machines.
The most important thing to me is handling and responsiveness and flickability of the bike. I would like some expert comments to help me on the same.
Sorry to rake this old topic up...but would be grateful if someone could give me some clarity with regards to the suspension set up the front and rear. I weigh 65 kgs and plus an additional lets say 10kgs of luggage/bag etc. and my machine is going to be predominantly for daily commute and possibly 1 long trip per month... I am an aggressive rider would like the bike to turn in more quickly and corner more quickly....so obviously stiffer is the way to go...question is how much...secondly all these dynamics will change if there is a pillion rider...so can someone suggest me:
1> For daily use-suspension setting (rider-65 kgs + bag 5 kgs) overall wt. 70 kgs.
2>Rider with pillion what would be the settin? (overall weight-140 kgs)
or points no. 1 and 2 what is an ideal suspension set up for the bike to carry 140kgs at any given point of time

3> Track Use- On the race track overall weight (65 kgs) which helps faster cornering and quick acceleartion and ensure easier flickability
PS: Please keep in mind the road use the roads have more pot holes than road and the traffic s crazy and a lot of mad people on the street

Would also like to know how to adjust the front forks preload...i did see the moriwaki link...any idea how it can be shipped and what would be the setting for the same
Also on the stock forks can any settings be enabled to stiffen the front end.

A detailed description of the suspension setting would be helpful i mean step by step like how many clicks to the right left etc :)

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dont waste time with the stock suspension. put an aftermarket rear shock, and change the fork springs, and add racetech gold valves.

·
Registered
102 Posts
DRC, if you could provide links so we can see where to find aftermarket suspension components. All I have been able to find (of any quality) was exhausts, rear-sets, clip ons, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
08 up ninja 250 shock is a bolt on, as are the 37mm gold valve emulators, and springs from racetech.

youre welcome. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts