Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I were out for a ride the other day and while we were parked I looked at my chain and noticed it had quite a bit of droop to it. The next day I checked the play and it had right at TWO INCHES of play!!! Right in the manual it says to not even ride the bike if it's more than 1 15/16th! Anyway I adjusted it and it's right at 1" now (pretty much in the middle of what the manual states). I took it out for a ride and everything seems fine and there aren't any weird noises or vibrations so I'm assuming it didn't mess anything up. After that little scare I checked the wife's chain too and it is still sitting at 1".

On a side note the chain adjustment couldn't have been any easier!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
thank goodness nothing bad happened.....i checked mine at about 600 miles and found it to be at the end of the max spec...this was a day after the stealership said chain slack was ok when they checked it at first service???? jerks......I adjusted it right to the minimum spec...4,500 miles later and my chain slack is right at 1" also

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted to stay away from the tight end because I read the story of the guy on here who possibly screwed up his bearings by going a little too tight and everybody who responded said it is always better to be on the loose end of spec than tight because apparently it can put more stress on the bearings on the shaft that the front sprocket is mounted to.

I'm brand new to owning my own bike (I used to ride friends dirtbikes growing up) but I'd imagine the worst thing a really loose chain could do is cause extra wear on the sprockets or jump off the sprockets and cause damage plus lock up your rear wheel in the process. Thank god none of that happened to me. At least now I'll be much more vigilant about checking the chain. I need to get in the habit of checking it every ~300 miles when I clean and lube the chain.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
If i ever need to adjust it again (dont look like i will) I wont go right to the minimum spec again..but close to it just the same..

and checking chain slack every 500 miles is recommended..the same as cleaning ,lubing it....

·
Registered
879 Posts
Good thing you noticed it before it was to late. Im sure from now on you will keep an eye on it and yes it is a simple adjustment to make

·
Registered
62 Posts
My chain slack varies from one inch to two inches depending on the wheel rotation. I understand that some variation is chain tightness is normal as the wheel rotates. This might explain why a dealer might say slack is OK if they don't rotate the wheel and check several positions. My chain has a lot of variation and it is tricky to get it adjusted so it is within the acceptable range.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The wife and I were out for a ride the other day and while we were parked I looked at my chain and noticed it had quite a bit of droop to it. The next day I checked the play and it had right at TWO INCHES of play!!! Right in the manual it says to not even ride the bike if it's more than 1 15/16th! Anyway I adjusted it and it's right at 1" now (pretty much in the middle of what the manual states). I took it out for a ride and everything seems fine and there aren't any weird noises or vibrations so I'm assuming it didn't mess anything up. After that little scare I checked the wife's chain too and it is still sitting at 1".

On a side note the chain adjustment couldn't have been any easier!
I'd be more worried about running it at 25mm slack than 50mm.
50mm is fine.. not sure what you are worried about?

How many Miles/Km on the bike?
How much do you lubricate it?
Did you stretch it heaps then it became 50mm.

30mm minimum
35mm and it will never stretch any more with correct maintenance.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
My chain slack varies from one inch to two inches depending on the wheel rotation. I understand that some variation is chain tightness is normal as the wheel rotates. This might explain why a dealer might say slack is OK if they don't rotate the wheel and check several positions. My chain has a lot of variation and it is tricky to get it adjusted so it is within the acceptable range.
Your chain is stuffed.
From either of these 3 things-

Too tight when new
Too dry at some stage
Out of alignment.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts

30mm minimum

Yeah same here.

My chain hasn't moved at all. I love it.:)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have heard that mentioned several times...its odd..tho..of the numerous times I have checked my chain slack several times on different parts of the chain..i have yet to get any variation..much less a whole inch...that sounds pretty excessive to me??!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

30mm minimum
In the manual it says to not even ride the bike if the slack is more than 1 15/16" and mine was at 2"s so I was just worried that being that loose that it could cause damage or slip off the sprocket.

The bike had 1,000 miles on it when I checked it. I lube it every 250-300 miles. I'm not sure what you mean about did I stretch it? I think you're asking if I stretched the chain while measuring?? When I measured I held a ruler up to pins with it free hanging and then pushed up as far as it would go and measured the distance at the pins. I also measured it in several spots after rolling the bike forward and they were all the same. I know going too tight is very bad hence the reason I put it in the middle of the spec range.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts