Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute on my bike everyday and am going to start tracking it occasionally once I get a pickup truck to haul it in. I've got rearsets, clipons, an Ohlins shock, but never did anything to the forks. I was getting it dyno tuned after installing a bazzaz controller for my full akro and k&n and Speedwerks in DE told me I needed new fork oil. I'm going to get a headlift stand and try and service them myself. From my understanding the best route would be Racetech springs at .85kg for my weight/style and new oil at (enter number here) viscosity up to 170mm. If I wanted maximum performance I should also get the emulators, but this is where I'm looking for advice. Can I save myself the $150 and just pull my fork, dump the oil, pull the springs out, replace, refill, and reuse the standard preload spacer? That seems SO much more simple than installing the emulators too. It'd already be a huge improvement for me, should I really complicate things and start breaking my bike drilling out the forks and trying to fit spacers, etc. The fork seals are fine right now, too. I'm an idiot, but can follow simple instructions when it comes to wrenching. I've done all the work on the bike; shock, clip ons, exhaust, fuel controller, windscreen, oil changes, etc but I try not to take power tools to stock components like the emulators call for. Thank you very much for any input or direction.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Getting the correct-rate springs and proper oil are going to make a huge difference.

Also check Sonic Springs for prices and set-up suggestions.

You will most likely be in the range of 15W or 20W fork oil, and may need to modify the spacers and set the preload. Make sure you use the correct procedure for setting the oil height.

See if you can find any articles by Ari Henning (Motorcyclist or Cycle World) on his race set-up for the 250. He went all-out on his, but eventually stepped-up to a more race-ready platform.

Have fun, but know the CBR250R isn't the best race bike. It can be decent, but you will always be giving away something to the Ninjas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts