Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just installed the Puig double bubble windscreen and it it great looking and functions so much better than stock. I'm nice and smooth sailing on the hyway now, no buffeting at all, I can ride longer now. I'm 5'8". Had it installed at the dealer with my PIM2 yoshi fuel controller and paid $56.xx for screen install Why do it yourself?. With the Fuel controller now the bikes pulls harder thru the revs.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is becoming a really tough decision for me, deciding on which aftermarket windscreen to get. So far, I think I've come across about 5 or 6 available for US consumers, (though I'm sure there are others). The first 4 are replacements for the OEM screen, requiring fairing and nose removal, (several hours minimum I hear).

The Puig:
Puig Racing Windscreen for CBR250R 11-12 - Windscreens - Street Parts - SoloMotoParts.com - Motorcycle Parts, Accessories and Gear
$82 plus shipping, everyone who has one really seems to like them, choice in clear, various smokes etc. Really tempted on this one.

Zero Gravity:
Zero Gravity - World Class Windscreens
Apparently they will start manufacturing several models starting next week. Should be on par with Puig pricing. Those who've had this make on other bikes also say they are excellent. Also high on my list, though they're not even available yet.

Air Flow Screens:
AIRFLOW SCREENS - HONDA CBR250R 11-12 - Powerbronze USA
I haven't heard much on these, they appear to be roughly the same size as OEM, but lots of cool colors to choose from.

K Win screen:
See earlier in this thread, available through Faddybike. Some say quality is great, others seem to be having fit issues? Either way, I think unless you want white you will need to paint it yourself.

These next screens are add ons, or slip ons meaning the OEM screen stays in place:

Laminar Lip:
Laminar LLC - Products for Motorcycle Windshields and Fairings, Makers of the LIP & Touring LIP
I haven't heard much about these either, but supposed to do a good job of redirecting the wind blast upwards.

MRA X-screen:
MRA X-creen Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade (clamp-on) - MRA.XCC : TwistedThrottle.com
These seem a bit pricey to me, twisted throttle has them starting at $130 or so. Pics of one earlier in thread.

Honda OEM touring screen:
Tyga Performance - Screen, Touring, Dark Tint, OEM Honda, 2011 CBR125/150/250R - Screens
Available at Tyga performance for $82 plus shipping from Thailand, (another 40 I think?) or from faddybike, again lots for shipping I'd assume. I also like this one because it's so easy to install or uninstall - see pics from earlier in thread. Some say does great on body but directs a lot of wind to helmet area.

Anyhow, just wanted to get the links I had in one place. It's a tough decision I think. I am being pulled to the OEM touring screen but only because I want to order some other parts from faddybike so to minimize shipping ... and it's so easy to install. Though, the Puig, Zero Gravity and others might provide much better protection?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks for compiling a list. I've been holding out for Zero Gravity, myself, but I'm keeping my eye open in the event they keep dragging. I need to cut out some highway wind some kinda bad without having to tuck for miles and miles and miles.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for compiling a list. I've been holding out for Zero Gravity, myself, but I'm keeping my eye open in the event they keep dragging. I need to cut out some highway wind some kinda bad without having to tuck for miles and miles and miles.
You bet! Hopefully it will make it a little easier for others though I'm sure I've left off a few.
Now what we really need is some extreme hobbyist to purchase and test all of them, listing the pros and cons :D

I'm also looking to reduce some of the highway wind. Oh, I just emailed faddybike as well, to get a quote on shipping, plus seeing if they have the 15/37 gearing available, (it's listed on their site anyhow). Would be nice if the rear is steel vs aluminum I see elsewhere but they don't really say.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Tyga KPPP Touring

Desert Dweller said:
... Anyhow, just wanted to get the links I had in one place...
+I've got the Honda OEM KPPP touring screen from Tyga shown in your last link, and it was delivered so quickly from Thailand, after I ordered it mid-November last year, that I was amazed, expecting it to drown in the upcoming seasonal crush of universal shipments.

It's the perfect height for a comfortable tuck for my 5'9+" frame (33" inseam) in inclement weather or for hyper-miling (76.2 mpg last week, with saddlebags and tailbag), and adequately redirects the wind when I'm upright, without buffeting.

The shipped total of $122 was well worth the wallet cost for my needs.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
+I've got the Honda OEM KPPP touring screen from Tyga shown in your last link, and it was delivered so quickly from Thailand, after I ordered it mid-November last year, that I was amazed, expecting it to drown in the upcoming seasonal crush of universal shipments.

It's the perfect height for a comfortable tuck for my 5'9+" frame (33" inseam) in inclement weather or for hyper-miling (76.2 mpg last week, with saddlebags and tailbag), and adequately redirects the wind when I'm upright, without buffeting.

The shipped total of $122 was well worth the wallet cost for my needs.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Thanks Roadkill and all else who've provided some feedback. Yep, couldn't hold out any longer and placed my order for the OEM touring screen thru Tyga. I was going to order through faddybike because I also wanted some gearing but for some reason could not get paypal to go through. :confused: So, the gearing change will wait for awhile.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've been happy with my stock windscreen. I wear earplugs, so wind noise is a non-issue. But last week I purchased a new helmet, and the ergonomic relation between the stock windscreen, the new helmet, and my height, sends every bit of dust and grit right up into my eyes, even with the visor completely closed. Can't return helmet. The new helmet does not have this issue with my other motorcycles because of differences in the windscreens/fairings, and my other two older helmets did not send grit up into my eyes on the CBR250. I want to get the air flow up and over the level of my chin, where I believe the wind blast is entering my new helmet. So, all of you who have tried aftermarket windscreens, I have a question. I've seen various screens which extend further, but 2" of increased length does not correspond to 2" in incresed height, due to the steep angle of the screen. I am 5" 10" tall. So I think I am not as interested in increased length, per se, but more a wind screen that has a slightly more vertical angle. Is there a screen out there which increses the height a bit and also directs the air blast more upward, without introducing increased buffeting? Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Almost every aftermarket windscreen is going to have a more vertical angle to it except the stock replacement ones obviously. Sport touring are going to send the wind the highest, next would probably be a double bubble.

I have some comparison shots of the differences between the stock and Zero Gravity double bubble screens that I can upload when I get home from work. There's a large difference between the stock and a double bubble. I'd imagine there being an even larger one with a sport touring screen.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Turbo, if you go back to the previous page there is a short summary of SOME of the aftermarket screens available. It's somewhat outdated as Zero Gravities are now available for instance. Personally, I got the easy to bolt on OEM touring screen. I like how easy it is to install or remove and has a sort of vertical lip to it which deflects the wind pretty darned well in my opinion. Check out page 7 for some pics, (as it installs directly over the existing screen you can see a good comparison of what is added).

I've been happy with my stock windscreen. I wear earplugs, so wind noise is a non-issue. But last week I purchased a new helmet, and the ergonomic relation between the stock windscreen, the new helmet, and my height, sends every bit of dust and grit right up into my eyes, even with the visor completely closed. Can't return helmet. The new helmet does not have this issue with my other motorcycles because of differences in the windscreens/fairings, and my other two older helmets did not send grit up into my eyes on the CBR250. I want to get the air flow up and over the level of my chin, where I believe the wind blast is entering my new helmet. So, all of you who have tried aftermarket windscreens, I have a question. I've seen various screens which extend further, but 2" of increased length does not correspond to 2" in incresed height, due to the steep angle of the screen. I am 5" 10" tall. So I think I am not as interested in increased length, per se, but more a wind screen that has a slightly more vertical angle. Is there a screen out there which increses the height a bit and also directs the air blast more upward, without introducing increased buffeting? Thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'll take a close look. At first I liked the shape of the OEM sport fairing, until I saw that it is intended to be installed over the stock screen, which to my eye looks simply abominable. I would like to stick with clear, and I read a post by someone who owned a Zero Gravity double bubble in clear who said the sun shining through it one time burned a hole clean through his instrument cluster. Between that and the recent report of a Zero Gravity screen snapping clean in two with just mild cleaning pressure, now I'm shying away from ZG. Guess this isn't going to be easy!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would like to stick with clear, and I read a post by someone who owned a Zero Gravity double bubble in clear who said the sun shining through it one time burned a hole clean through his instrument cluster. Between that and the recent report of a Zero Gravity screen snapping clean in two with just mild cleaning pressure, now I'm shying away from ZG. Guess this isn't going to be easy!
I don't think you can really blame the ZG screen for the burning issue. Every windscreen has that warning in the disclaimer. It's all about the angle and how sunny it is. For what it's worth, I've left my bike out in the sun for 2 weeks+ (it's extremely sunny in the summer here in Texas) and there's not a single blemish on the dash. If you were really that worried about burning a hole in the cluster, buy a 2$ towel at any flavor of store and just throw that on top of the screen when you're done riding.

I'm extremely happy with my ZG DB, 85$ well spent and well worth the wait. I'd consider that one snapped screen as a fluke in the mold. Everything has a lemon somewhere in the batch. Now if it were a much more common thing, I'd understand the caution.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I don't think you can really blame the ZG screen for the burning issue. I'm extremely happy with my ZG DB, 85$ well spent and well worth the wait.
Is your DB in clear, or dark tint, or what? The guy who had that happen said it would "likely" only be a possible issue with the clear, not smoke. But yeah, it would have to be a total fluke alignment of all the planets sort of thing to happen.

141 - 158 of 158 Posts