Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with me - I am an old carburretor guy.
It seems the design of the CBR250R was for fuel economy over performance.
These plug in fuel controllers - how do they know what to do?
For example take the Bazzaz.
I might have a stock bike.
I might have drilled holes in the airbox.
I might have an aftermarket air filter.
I might have an aftermarket exhaust system.
Or maybe all of the above.
How does one of these things deal with that?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe the Bazzaz has settings for stock and slip on exhausts, as far as an aftermarket intake I'm not sure how it would compensate for that. I plan on leaving my bike stock, I don't want any chance of losing my 80 miles per gallon :)

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
All of these fuel controllers work off of the stock map with the O2 sensor jumped out of the picture and then enrichen or lean it according to how you program it with a computer. Bazzaz will send you a box that is already set all the way down to 13.0:1 with a slip on and you can change it from there by dyno or seat of the pants timing and by logging the actual resulting mixture with the wide band logger kit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bear with me - I am an old carburretor guy.
It seems the design of the CBR250R was for fuel economy over performance.
These plug in fuel controllers - how do they know what to do?
For example take the Bazzaz.
I might have a stock bike.
I might have drilled holes in the airbox.
I might have an aftermarket air filter.
I might have an aftermarket exhaust system.
Or maybe all of the above.
Well, the fuel controller stores two maps. One is pre-programmed from our dyno runs with an aftermarket exhaust. That will get you a step closer to an ideal tune, but not quite there as you pointed out.

There are 2 ways to tune for for all the variables you mentioned (and more).

One is on a dyno.

The other is with our Z-AFM self mapper. This collects data while you're riding that you can use to edit your map for all conditions and modifications. We invented this puppy and it is a large part of our business; shared maps are too imperfect for any honest tuning, as you've pointed out.

I think you can figure out the benefits of each. Dyno gives you power readings but are temporary; any changes in atmospheric conditions or the bike and you're not fully tuned. Z-AFM accounts for all changes but doesn't give you a read out.

I liked carbs because I knew them. You're going to find tuning a lot more enjoyable with FI once you give it a shot. It's very easy but you still get to tinker a whole lot.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
my bike has a Dyno Jet unit and it runnnnnns soooooooooo much better:p I've only put 150 miles on it but Ilike it :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
can we flash the ECU yet? with a simple data logger i could tune this thing on the road.. where it matters.. and give you guys some quick and easy mods (free too) but unfortunately im not a computer engineer and dont really know how to dissect the ECU

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No need to dissect the ECU...

Bazzaz piggy-backs the ECU- it connects to Power, TPS, FI, CPS, VSS/Neutral and ground.

The ECU still controls the show- but Bazzy controls the fuel.

Then you put a wideband O2 on the exhaust and connect ZAFM, and then you have the "simple data logger" to "tune this thing on the road" (or dyno).

You set ZAFM to a desired AFR, tell it to log, run the bike, come back and apply the settings. Tweak/smooth if necessary.

Essentially it forces the engine to run open loop all the time except idle... it will always squirt the desired fuel for the RPM/TPS combo in order to reach the AFR requested. But, if you go jack w/ the bike, open the exhaust more or the intake more or what have you, you have to re-tune to compensate because the open loop doesn't compensate.

·
Registered
78 Posts
im well aware how all this works

...what your "needs" are and what my "needs" are are two different things.. flashed ecus work better than piggy backs, they dont add extra components to the bike, they perform faster and are generally cheaper..

most people dont realize that a bazzaz will never completely "tune in" to the bike. thats a simple problem caused when you trick the ecu into seeing the same thing all the time. you have the ecu fuel trim fighting the bazzaz fuel trim and it doesnt work right. the ecu is not programed to run at 14.7afr ALL the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts