Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone looked into an aftermarket set of wheels? Something lighter than stock?
I think reducing the rotating mass would be a very worthwhile mod.

What is the stock bolt pattern and size?

·
Registered
133 Posts
jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz do you KNOW the PRICE of lightweight aftermarket wheels?

You can save about 2kg just by changing the tyres out from the IRC's to some thing like Pirelli's

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz do you KNOW the PRICE of lightweight aftermarket wheels?

You can save about 2kg just by changing the tyres out from the IRC's to some thing like Pirelli's
Yes I do. From what I have seen about $3k for a set.
And unless you can show me something different, 2kgs ~ 4.4lbs is not the type of weight savings you can expect to see per set. More realistically you can expect to save 1lbs ~ .5kgs per set.

·
Registered
46 Posts
so..... you would be prepared to spend $3000 on some new wheels to lose 1lb of weight from the bike? .... this may be silly but if you diet and lose 5 lbs for free....?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so..... you would be prepared to spend $3000 on some new wheels to lose 1lb of weight from the bike? .... this may be silly but if you diet and lose 5 lbs for free....?
It's more about reducing rotational mass then overall weight.

Does anyone know the stock wheel specs? weights?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes I do. From what I have seen about $3k for a set.
And unless you can show me something different, 2kgs ~ 4.4lbs is not the type of weight savings you can expect to see per set. More realistically you can expect to save 1lbs ~ .5kgs per set.
Ok you know it all.... have fun finding the measurements you need... A friend did it here in Thailand on an Ninja250,, i cannot find the thread now.. Oh and i was wrong it was 1.5kilos saved. The IRC tyres are heavier than the sporty pirelli's

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could do that, then I'll just look for lighter wheels for that....

·
Registered
269 Posts
what's your objective for reducing rotational mass? tires and chain and sprockets are probably a good place to start as they need replacement. i just don't know about putting almost as much money into the bike as it's worth

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
coming from an extensive autocross/ track day background with cars I know the benefits of reducing unsprung weight for cars; better handling and acceleration. would the same not apply to motorcycles?

I realize it may not be worth it on a cbr250 to dump the cost of the bike into a set of wheels. I'm just trying to build my knowledge base.

nice track bike btw....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Some nice lightweight carbon or magnesium wheels would be cool.... but unless you're actually racing, probably not worth it. And the lighter wheels will have less gyro effect on a bike that some already feel is too "light" steering... I prefer INSTANT response, so the light feel is good by me, but your mileage may vary. Yes, the same benefits/drawbacks apply on 2 wheels as they do to 4... And with only ~28hp, every bit counts. But it may be cheaper just to get a new intake, new pipe, and high-compression head for low 30's hp. And premium gas fillups.

·
Registered
269 Posts
coming from an extensive autocross/ track day background with cars I know the benefits of reducing unsprung weight for cars; better handling and acceleration. would the same not apply to motorcycles?

I realize it may not be worth it on a cbr250 to dump the cost of the bike into a set of wheels. I'm just trying to build my knowledge base.

nice track bike btw....
i gotcha, yeah something that expensive just might not be worth it on this bike. but the stock tires are pretty heavy, some sportier tires might be more bang for your buck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts