Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys...
I hope everyone is having a good time on their Baby CBRs.:):):)

i've removed the air filter cover..i kinda like the surge in power at higher revs,and the little decrease in low end torque doesn't bother me at all..:cool:

my question is,will it harm the bike in the long run? having to change the air filter more frequently is not a problem at all if nothing else in the bike suffers any damage.

also,how frequently do i have to change the air filter if i continue to ride like this? yup,conditions are very very dusty here :(

p.s. i searched for this topic but i couldn't find a discussion on this..sorry if i revived a dead topic. if so,plz point me to the right thread.

am currently at 1250 kms of hard riding (Motoman's technique) :cool: and i'm going to change to synthetic Motul engine oil at 1500 kms...which brings us to another question..."when should i change it to synthetic oil?" i think my "breaking in" is pretty much complete after 1250 kms of hard riding and its time to make the change.
i think there is a thread on this...am gonna go look it up.

Cheers!
ride safe.
:D:D:D

·
Registered
282 Posts
do you have slip on fitted. I do and when I removed airbox cover lost more than a little down low torque.
there's a whole thread on when to change oil.
surprised motoman hasn't got advice on that too.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no dude..i dont have a slip on yet.
i'm saving up for one..and also for a k&n filter

tell me something...how much louder is a typical yoshimura (with a decibel killer) than the stock bike without the air filter cover??
i want a nice manly sound but a superloud screaming pipe wont go down well with a doctor's image ( i am one)...i ride it to hospi everyday.

also,i think you dont need to remove your air filter cover if you have a racing air filter like k&n along with your slip on.a good filter should provide all the air the engine needs to breathe deeper.
but then i'm a noob and i may be wrong.am just guessing.
lemme know if i'm right.
tx.
happy riding!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wont harm anything but you will need to change the filter faster than with it on. How often? look at it. If it's dirty change it. I don't know if your really going to gain anything out of it.
tx for replying man..i guess i'll keep the filter cover off then,as the engine is not going to get harmed.

what i gained is a louder pipe...and a little increase in high rpm power..
but the powerband has shifted up a little and low end torque has decreased..but not to the point of being very significant.
i just liked the louder bike...and its not nuclear loud..just louder.

cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
tx for replying man..i guess i'll keep the filter cover off then,as the engine is not going to get harmed.

what i gained is a louder pipe...and a little increase in high rpm power..
but the powerband has shifted up a little and low end torque has decreased..but not to the point of being very significant.
i just liked the louder bike...and its not nuclear loud..just louder.

cheers!

hi drankurbaruah,
I've done the same on my cbr and i advice you dont leave it completely open since our conditions are too dusty....instead after removing the cover you cover it up with a cut out of largely available very thin cloth type shopping bags( since plastic ones were banned in delhi). It holds much of the dust and there is no difference in sound as compared to being totally open.
hope k&N is out fast...!
cheers,
Upen

·
Registered
235 Posts
My bike is being used for R&D and I told them when they do the final tune on it to pull that cover off when they tune it. I guess ill find out if it has any HP gains with tuning.
That's going to give us believable objective information BBR! Until then we're left with seat-of-the pants impressions which, IMO, aren't worth anything.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi drankurbaruah,
I've done the same on my cbr and i advice you dont leave it completely open since our conditions are too dusty....instead after removing the cover you cover it up with a cut out of largely available very thin cloth type shopping bags( since plastic ones were banned in delhi). It holds much of the dust and there is no difference in sound as compared to being totally open.
hope k&N is out fast...!
cheers,
Upen
I didnt like the changes that much (cause the bike doesnt feel strong before getting to 6k and above) so i plugged up the holes and reinstalled the cover.
i'm saving up for a Yoshi and a K&N.
and yeah, i had covered up with an old sock while the cover was off..
tx for the advice man..
cheers!
:):):)

·
Registered
5 Posts
The filter may need replacing sooner. There is a vent right beside the cover that circulates air to the filter from under the seat anyway so it's not like you're doing anything shocking.

I'm riding with mine off also and I love the throaty sound! I'll put it back on when I get my Yoshi can on there!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would stay away from the yoshi exhaust to me and many others there just to damm loud. If fact many aftermarket mufflers are also to loud. Im thinking about taking mine off and going back to stock exhaust

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got the yoshi on mine yes it is LOUD ?I almost rather it with silencer out its a bit deeper not so motorcrossy. I definantly found on my bike at least it def makes dif with lid off I don't notice the torque that much at all and go's alot better top end just keep the herbs up ?. I going to try the batterie disconnect soon overnight. Take db killer and lid and then go for a good ride the next morning see if it teaches itself to change mixtures ?!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
540 Posts
Any "low end torque" loss from an exhaust system change should sort itself out in *very* short order on an EFI motor, like within minutes of not seconds. Until we see the dyno #s, my gut tells me that the little bit more you are gaining on the top end just feels like a loss on the bottom end, that isn't really there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts