Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should I change my air filter?

I bought the bike at 4000miles and have put on 10,000miles since. I never changed the air filter. I don't see any threads on this subject.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
That's going to depend on the conditions you ride in.

Pull it out and take a look at it. Many times you can clean it pretty well with compressed air. You want to shoot from the back/inside of the filter to push the dirt out, or from the side, but not blowing directly back inward. Look down into the pleats if it's a paper filter. If it's still dirty after blowing off it may need to be replaced.

Some filters are paper and can be damaged easily, others are foam and can be washed. Most foam filters (and aftermarket gauze filters like a K&N) need to be oiled lightly when dry before installing. Most OEM paper filters do not. Don't wash an OEM paper filter.

If you are not sure, post a photo.

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
How often should I change my air filter?

I bought the bike at 4000miles and have put on 10,000miles since. I never changed the air filter. I don't see any threads on this subject.
Honda lists the air filter replacement interval at every 12,000 miles, and more frequently if the bike is operated in wet or dusty conditions.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I have 14000 miles at the moment. I'm going to check the air filter to see what it looks like...in a couple days. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Super Moderator
6,939 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I have 14000 miles at the moment. I'm going to check the air filter to see what it looks like...in a couple days. I'll let you know what I find.
I'll bet that you're going to find a dirty air filter... may as well just pick one up, they're only about $14 at your local Honda dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't changed the air filter in a long time either, thank you for reminding me. By the way, an unpleasant smell appeared in my car and I can't get rid of it. Do you think replacing the air filter will help me with this, or do I need to do something else? I ordered the cleaning of the car interior, but it didn't help me get rid of that awful smell. I feel like I have something rotten in the trunk. Recently, reading an article on https://www.damagecontrol-911.com/ozone-generators-in-the-car/, I learned that the ozone generator can solve this problem and I really hope so. Otherwise, I'll have to sell my car, but I'm not sure I'll find a buyer because of this rotten smell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts