Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tuner called me today after he finished tuning my bike. I asked him to tune it without the airbox lid on becuase with stock exhaust it sounded choked out. Well guys it made a whopping quarter of a HP more with the lid off. So you guys that seem to notice a seat of the pants power increase it's all in you'r head. Just thought I would share :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
lol truth. I didn't like the sound of the airbox lid off anyways. Might try something out on the intake if I get time and it's easy enough to pull off I don't really expect gains but who knows.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No surprise at all to me. Personally, I can't see the point of going to all the trouble of spending loads of money, and fannying about with the engine etc. on what is basically a slow commuter bike. Why not just buy a fast bike to start with?
I see your point, but in my defense my bike is being used for r&d so would you pass up free tuning and other products?

·
Registered
41 Posts
No surprise at all to me. Personally, I can't see the point of going to all the trouble of spending loads of money, and fannying about with the engine etc. on what is basically a slow commuter bike. Why not just buy a fast bike to start with?
now thats not good advice for a newbie is it? oh ya, its because i didn't have 10k. love the money saver. it allows a lot of people to enter into the sport. and hey, it does the speed limit just fine!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I see your point, but in my defense my bike is being used for r&d so would you pass up free tuning and other products?
I use my bike as every day transport, and I like it as it is, but each to his own. I just can't understand people who buy a slow bike, and then spend loads of money on it trying to make it marginally faster, when they would be much better off buying a fast bike that doesn't need loads of money spending on it. And it'll be fast. :D

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
now thats not good advice for a newbie is it? oh ya, its because i didn't have 10k. love the money saver. it allows a lot of people to enter into the sport. and hey, it does the speed limit just fine!
I'm happy with the performance and economy of this bike, that's why I own one. If I wanted a fast bike I'd buy one, not waste lots of money trying in vain to make a slow bike fast. This bike has less horsepower than a 30 year old 4 stroke 250 single, but it's not about being fast, it's about being a good road bike, in many different situations. The engine is brilliant, I love it. I just don't see the point of spending £500 - £1000 on it just to get a few more BHP. Spend that money on a ER-6 or something, that has almost 3 times as much horsepower (and that's not looked upon as a particularly fast bike in the UK).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just add a turbo charger, that should do it..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm happy with the performance and economy of this bike, that's why I own one. If I wanted a fast bike I'd buy one, not waste lots of money trying in vain to make a slow bike fast. This bike has less horsepower than a 30 year old 4 stroke 250 single, but it's not about being fast, it's about being a good road bike, in many different situations. The engine is brilliant, I love it. I just don't see the point of spending £500 - £1000 on it just to get a few more BHP. Spend that money on a ER-6 or something, that has almost 3 times as much horsepower (and that's not looked upon as a particularly fast bike in the UK).

I'm with you on that. But I think it comes down to the initial cost of the motorcyle. With a price point this low its inherent that some people that want a bigger bike and can't afford one buy this and try to make it fast, bit by bit. Its the same with cars. I'm guilty of it myself, when i was 18 years old. I say just give it up and enjoy what you have. Which is a nice motorcycle that has its obvious upsides. you might take some **** for having a 250 from 600 riders but trying to make it into something that its not is stupid. save all that money and buy the 600. (if you know what your doing.) I'm just glad to have a bike. This bike challenges how much you care about what others think.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nobody thinks we can make this bike compete with a 600. I don't think anybody wants to, but we do want it to be ours.

For me, it's not about making it fast, it's about making it faster, or similar to my next motorcycle. I bought this bike so I could learn to ride. I've done that, but there is much more to learn, so as my skills progress I add components to make it will resemble the future racing 600 I want. If I am honest with myself, I don't have all the skills mastered to the degree that will keep me safe on a 600 yet, but I still want to get comfortable with the riding position.

I want a little more out of the engine and I enjoy tinkering with different components to see where the most bang for the buck is in upgrades. It helps me establish priorities for the rest of my motorcycling life relatively cheaply.

Lastly, a personal goal, before I upgrade, is that I want to be faster and more comfortable through the corners on my 250 than most people I see. I like being more proficient on slower equipment. I don't want to be one of those riders who screams at wide open throttle from corner to corner, brakes hard and coasts through like their picking up their kids at school. I want to pass them in the corners. You can buy speed, but you can't buy skill.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My tuner called me today after he finished tuning my bike. I asked him to tune it without the airbox lid on becuase with stock exhaust it sounded choked out. Well guys it made a whopping quarter of a HP more with the lid off. So you guys that seem to notice a seat of the pants power increase it's all in you'r head. Just thought I would share :)
That ain't bad, every bit counts. In fact, that validates their seat of the pants observation. They say every 100# you lose is the equivalent to gaining one HP, so that is 25# I don't have to lose!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol I guess, As far as you guys talking about modding these turds if you are like me nothing can stay stock for any length of time. My whole theory was to get a little more power to pull a smaller rear sprocket so the bike wont scream at me at a steady 70MPH. And like i said I got work done for free. The Dynojet DFC itself was over $200.00 if you wanted to buy one.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Lol I guess, As far as you guys talking about modding these turds if you are like me nothing can stay stock for any length of time. My whole theory was to get a little more power to pull a smaller rear sprocket so the bike wont scream at me at a steady 70MPH. And like i said I got work done for free. The Dynojet DFC itself was over $200.00 if you wanted to buy one.
I'm the same way, I can't just have an off the shelf bike. But I doubt I'd put money into trying to make it faster. My plan is to buy a mid 90's CBR600 that needs some work and turn it into a beast.

But one thing I thought of doing on the 250 is using a pipe that goes up to the boot where the air box connects to the throttle body. Have that pipe go down to where the air filter is and connect a cone filter to it in place of the panel filter. If you can find a cone filter that fits inside of the box nicely then you get all the benefits of the air box and any benefit there might be to a cone filter. It was pretty obvious the air box currently focuses on only the center part of the air filter due to design (see the oil / air filter thread) so this could potentially fix a weak link on the bike.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Slow?!?! Mine is stock and I have a hard time keeping it under the speed limit during my commute.:D

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Slow?!?! Mine is stock and I have a hard time keeping it under the speed limit during my commute.:D
When I say slow, I mean compared to a proper sports bike.

1994 Honda CBR 250 RR specifications and pictures

1982 Yamaha RD 250 LC specifications and pictures

1988 Suzuki RG 250 Gamma specifications and pictures

Not that there's anything wrong with this bike, I love it for it's rideability and economy. I don't want a sports bike, I want something that's nice and tractable, well mannered, comfortable, practical, reliable and economical. The CBR 250R ticks all the boxes for me. :D

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Your tuner did advanced engine internal mods and is tuning with the stock air box??? The first thing you will want to do to move the power band up more towards redline would be to get rid of the long intake tuned runner that is in the air box. This is used to create the torque peak at 6,000 and robs power above 9,500.
PS.
.25hp just from running with the air box lid off is a nice gain for free.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Your tuner did advanced engine internal mods and is tuning with the stock air box??? The first thing you will want to do to move the power band up more towards redline would be to get rid of the long intake tuned runner that is in the air box. This is used to create the torque peak at 6,000 and robs power above 9,500.
PS.
.25hp just from running with the air box lid off is a nice gain for free.
Where?

OEM Parts

Normally intake runners are after the throttle body, they wouldn't have any effect with the throttle body in the way.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts