Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my Z-fi. Hit up Mar Mo in Marietta GA on friday and hung out while they installed and tuned it. They let me bring in a cam and shoot some vid which was cool of em.
The gains aren't crazy significant on paper. 2.59 HP increase. around 12-15%. In action the bike is much more snappy. The acceleration from 3k to 8k is much better. It pulls the entire time. It still goes flat over 9k and I didn't gain anything up top. 94 is still the best I can do. Could go with velocity stacks next to see if I can get close to what DRC is getting but Im worried I'll lose the low end. Anyway here is a vid. and dyno. Bone stock best pull verses modded best pull.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dyno..

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Very nice, thats the sort of power curve you want, all the way thru the rev range.

So what happens if you put the tip back in?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not sure. I dropped my screw down in there and having bothered with getting a new one so i cant put the tip in. Ill try and find one sometime this week and pop it in see how it feels. Prolly gonna go ahead and grab the akra header once its released and when K&n releases a filter Ill do a run with airbox lid removed and see where it is. I would say I'm getting 95% of what the bike is capable of without cracking the engine.
I think at that point your looking at spending more coin than the the bike is worth. I would love to see someone push it over 30. wait and see what BBRMotorsports does with his bike and the results.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Sorry for all the questions but did you buy the Bazzaz Z-fi from the dyno tuners or online then take it to them?

·
Registered
529 Posts
HopMix - thanks for all the work and effort you've gone through to share your dyno tuning info and results with the forum! :)

Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for all the questions but did you buy the Bazzaz Z-fi from the dyno tuners or online then take it to them?
no worries! ask away. I picked it up from biohazard and just showed up with it. They had a afm already. They wanted me to wait on a power commander but were very specific about not getting a juice box for some reason. Dynojet doesnt seem to have a definitive answer on when the PC will be available so had to bite. Seems to have done the job though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HopMix - thanks for all the work and effort you've gone through to share your dyno tuning info and results with the forum! :)

Mike
Thanks Mike. I am a enthusiast! Its all fun to me. Plus I've learned a lot from the forum.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great work HoPMiX, video was really well done too. How long before the PCV comes out did they say, as I have seen for sale for our model on both ebay and an Australian motorcycle tuners web site and don't really trust either.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there was no official word last I checked. Just sometime before january.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can you adjust timing with the pc or just fuel with it as well?

·
Registered
282 Posts
there was no official word last I checked. Just sometime before january.
Received an email yesterday from Dynojet in LV, from their Tech Sales Rep. saying "we will probably not be producing a PCV for that model" referring to the CBR250R.
They did say they will be releasing a "DFC" for our model bike. Can't figure out what he meant by "DFC"

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Cost?

Very interesting. How much was the dyno tune? Their equipment makes it look like a half hour job to tune once you get everything installed. I see values of 5-7% showing on the maps were needed to lock in an air fuel ratio of 13.4. Are those the correction values compared to the stock map?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very interesting. How much was the dyno tune? Their equipment makes it look like a half hour job to tune once you get everything installed. I see values of 5-7% showing on the maps were needed to lock in an air fuel ratio of 13.4. Are those the correction values compared to the stock map?
It's a half hour with our Z-AFM. Otherwise they have to manually read the AFRs and manually make the changes. You're seeing technology at work!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have access to the software from bazzaz i can send you the maps.
The dyno took less than 15 minutes. They did have a z-afm on hand.
We are going to do another run this week and tweak it a bit more.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's a half hour with our Z-AFM. Otherwise they have to manually read the AFRs and manually make the changes. You're seeing technology at work!
Dante, can you elaborate a little?

Is that 2+ HP can something I could get by buying the Z-fi unit picking a stock map off of your web site or do I have to buy the Z-AFM and find a dyno to get it?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
On the road

Is that 2+ HP can something I could get by buying the Z-fi unit picking a stock map off of your web site or do I have to buy the Z-AFM and find a dyno to get it?
With a Z-AFM on the bike, you should be able to get results that are just as good by doing pulls on the road. Just that you won't have a print out of the power output. A cell phone acceleration logging program would also help to chose air fuel targets in lieu of a dyno which are nonexistent in my area.

·
Registered
27 Posts

The Z-Fi is the fuel controller that stores the fuel maps. It comes pre-programmed with one map we did here (SoCal) with a slip on. This will give you crisper, smoother throttling and likely add HP and torque. But if you want to really dial it in as you would on a dyno and account for the differences in exhaust, mods, atmo conditions, fuel type, etc., use the Z-AFM self mapper. It's open loop; recording data while you ride (about 40 mins). After riding with it, you plug in the USB to a laptop and with a few clicks you can view and apply the suggested changes to the fuel map.

When we started, shared maps were the thing. But there were so many different variables for tuning that a shared map would never get it right. We invented the self tuning module to correct for that... back in '08, I believe.

Sendler is right, the dyno can help you pick out the best AFR and show you the changes in power. But we're so often getting good results with 13.0 that we're almost always recommending that. That's what we've got for the 250 also -13.0. But, then again, asking around in your area or getting that first initial dyno reading is always beneficial.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts