Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Aufitt and HoPMiX, how does this compare to the sound of the carbon fiber Akrapovic slip-on? (video below) The description doesn't indicate if the silencer is installed or not- what do you think? My carbon slip-on will be here shortly, just anxious to get an idea of how it actually sounds under load in a drive-by since all of the other vids on YouTube are at a standstill. Thanks!
-L
The akra has a more deep resonating tones. that sounds a bit tin-ish to me compared. bro if you can wait till the weekend ill have videos. Doing my dyno tune friday and gonna record the entire thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The akra has a more deep resonating tones. that sounds a bit tin-ish to me compared. bro if you can wait till the weekend ill have videos. Doing my dyno tune friday and gonna record the entire thing.
Thanks HoPMiX, looking forward to the videos and your tuning results. I will be able to install mine this week; according to UPS tracking, my exhaust is currently waiting at the local UPS facility for me to pick it up tonight on my way home from the office. Tried to have it held last week so I could pick it up on Friday and install over the weekend, but it didn't work out. I'm just getting a bit impatient since I won't have time to install it tonight. I'll try to get a video up as soon as possible as well. Thanks!
-L

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're right, it certainly does have more deep throaty tones, especially at idle. I blew off my plans tonight and installed the exhaust instead. Very impressed with the build quality and fit/finish. Very easy install. Of course, the only socket that was missing from my set was the 12mm, so after rummaging thought all of my tools to no avail, I had to run out to buy a new socket which made a 25 minute job turn into a 1 hour job, but I'm very pleased with the result. I tried to make a quick video, but the sound was disappointing; I just don't think it's possible to accurately capture the sound. Crappy BlackBerry photo below.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Just loaded this, pretty poor vid, but at least it shows the difference between Insert in/out and might stop all those questions on who makes a quiet quality aftermarket exhaust.

Oh and a plug for Biohazard Cycles Inc :)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Well done Luke, you were quick at getting it on... Beautiful 'Innit? :)

Transforms the whole bike in so many ways.
And the more Miles you put on it at full noise on the open higway the better it gets.. forget this ECU reset BS... The stock system adapts over time.. If it didnt any mods would be loutside the parameters of the stock system (like 2 ppl have had with full systems) Next step Bazzaz and the header pipe with a secret squirrel intake mod.

I did disconnect the battery while I installed it.
Also after your first ride, loosen the clamp and the mount, line it up from every angle with care then retighten clamp first.
Dont drop the screw inside but coat the insert & screw with never-seize or you wont get it out in a years time for repacking etc.

I am making a new Insert, bigger diameter but longer so I can get it more throaty without being too loud, about halfway between insert and no insert.

Oh and about that 10mm chicken strip... i'd only done 1000km running it in back then ok ... gone now lol.

·
Registered
455 Posts
secret squirrel intake mod? cant find much info on it. Or velocity stacks for this bike. would love to do intake mods while im dyne tuning so i don't have to keep going back for tunes. 250 a pop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
K&N

I will rather go with the k&n filter that's about to launch next month.....the yoshi's and akro pipes spoils the looks of the bike.....the stock exhaust beautifully suits the design language of the bike.....

·
Registered
386 Posts
I will rather go with the k&n filter that's about to launch next month.....the yoshi's and akro pipes spoils the looks of the bike.....the stock exhaust beautifully suits the design language of the bike.....
I don't so much mind the stock exhaust, but if there's an eye sore on these bikes it is the exhaust for sure!

·
Registered
529 Posts
So.. nobody likes my vid :( heh.
Thanks for the video Aufitt. Partly based on your video, I think I will eventually go the Akropovic slip-on route. In the street test towards the end of the video - I assume that each pass included the silencer right? The bike seemed reasonably quiet on approach - but as you opened the throttle when accelerating away from the camera - the bike sounded much louder than I expected.

Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Cannot Agree. I use to park my bike so you couldnt see the exhaust. Terrible looking. Scooter-ish. Hella heavy.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Thanks for the video Aufitt. Partly based on your video, I think I will eventually go the Akropovic slip-on route. In the street test towards the end of the video - I assume that each pass included the silencer right? The bike seemed reasonably quiet on approach - but as you opened the throttle when accelerating away from the camera - the bike sounded much louder than I expected.

Mike
Yes all the riding is with the insert in.. and accelerating away was loading it up.
Next step is to mig up a slightly bigger outlet tube and make it a bit longer.. sort of a happy medium.

If I was real fussy its a bit 'Farty' (flat) sounding with the standard insert in but still way better than anything Ive heard.
The Yoshi is the next best but at the same price its a no brainer decision.
You do lots of touring I see (love your adventures) and you'll have to trust me on this its not too loud at all.. very enjoyable
One thing you would like is how well the bike pulls from 5-6500.. very responsive and huge torque gains just as the dyno shows when you are fully loaded I'd say economy would improve too.

As the vid shows its crazy loud without the insert but such a deep note.

Looking forward to HopMix's extra mods, Ive got a trackday coming up soon so after that I'll guage what I need to do. TYGA Rearsets, Woodcraft 1.5" lower bars, one more tooth on the rear sporocket, and front suspension work are priority atmo... then sticky rubber.. and a million other small changes to 'get the most out of the least'.
But all this is nothing compared to rider training tuition at any level.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
K&N is listed on solomotoparts.

If anyone knows of a Carbon exhaust hanger let me know?.

It would be nice to incorporate a rubber mount in one tho (for vibration/expansion)
I might press out the rubber one from the standard rhs rear footpeg hanger and install it into a tube and TIG it to a custom 3mm aluminium hanger.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
No point having intake mods without exhaust mods.
And the extra 10kg is something we do not need to carry around with only 23hp.
Plus its as ugly as Germaine Greer. Everyone who see's the cbr says Nice bike.. shame about the exhaust.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Aufitt, great video. I wish all exhaust vids covered the important details (such as ride bys) like yours does. I think you sold me on the Akrapovic.

Me thinks it's #2 on the list right after Race Tech suspension mods. The front & rear of the bike slow me down more than lack of power but that Akravopic is absolutely beautiful and not bad on the ears at all and it makes the 250 sound like a motorcycle :D. I think I and my neighbors can live with such a can.

Thanks again for a well thought out video.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts