Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the color black and always buy black clothing, shoes or jackets. It's a challenge to buy other colored clothes yet with my new CBR I'm trying to stray from my norm and buy more visible items. I have been buying cycle gear including a white helmet which was hard to buy in contrast to the matte black I would normally choose. I did end up with black boots. Now I'm looking at a jacket I really like. I'm just hard pressed to buy the all black jacket or the identical one with red shoulders. It's an easy decision for some but Not me. If I go red shoulders it almost sets a theme for the all black bike to have red accents in time.

Should I go red shoulder or all black jacket? :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went red and black with my pesonal gear. In the end only you know what's right for you. Black is not a very visible color at all, just keep that in mind. I think I am going to try and find some reflective decals to help offset my black.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I went all black with my gear. Not visible and very hot in the sun. However, in terms of aesthetics, it was smart. I knew it would go with whatever colour bike I purchased next. I now own a yellow and black bike and I am so glad i didnt buy gear that has colour. Prior planning prevents piss poor colour combinations.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I personally don't trust cycle gear stuff after seeing how my exs gear fell apart on her during the crash. My tourmaster only fell apart in one spot although didn't absorb the impact from my shoulder.

I have a black and red leather that I use for freeway or when it gets cold and a yellow and black AlpineStars mesh jacket for in town. My helmet is the black/yellow/grey bell qulifier helmet.

You stop caring what you look like when people see you. Plus the AlpineStars jacket looks ******************** sexy on me.

Edit: also wanted to add my accident happened in the middle of the night. With all black there is a possibility of blending in with the road. If I didn't have so many witnesses I might have been ran over from someone passing by on the freeway.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I love the color black ....
Black is black but not a color! 0:)

I'm not to worried, not to be seen with a black or dark colored jacket or helmet, from the front!
If someone is not seeing the headlight plus (my) LED position lights, he/she will not see a signal orange jacket or a neon yellow helmet, too.
From the back or from the side, however, it can really create a different outcome.
But there is a lot black stuff with colored and reflective materials.
And of course, a neon yellow reflective rescue jacket over the black moto jacket (like I've seen lately on members of a harley cruise gang) is a win/win.
On the bike on, off the bike off ;-)
And it's a reason, for me, not to buy a black bike!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I replaced my black jacket with a red one. Mostly because I like the look, but also for added visibility. A dayglow vest would be better, but I'm not ready to go there quite yet.

I personally feel all black cycles and gear really decrease your visibility. Not a major factor with oncoming traffic, but a factor anytime else visibility is required.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Safety is number 1. Joe Rocket hi-vis yellow, mesh jacket. Mesh can be worn all season. A nylon windbreaker underneath, when it's cold. Keep moving when it's hot. Been on a street bike since 1978 and, cars just don't see you. Trust me... I have cut bikes off, in the past. Never saw them. I need to live to ride another day.

BTW, I also wear a hi-vis vest, covered with 3M reflective tape, at night and in the rain. This may seem anal but, cars just don't see you.
HI-VIS. HI-VIS.

·
Registered
105 Posts
That hi-viz really pops in your photo. I've seen a few riders around my area with a hi-viz jacket. When I see them I feel like it grabs my attention. I've been thinking about getting a hi-viz jacket, but I'm still on the fence. I don't mind how it looks on the bike, but off the bike it's a bit jarring. Unfortunately my next helmet isn't offered in a hi-viz option.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Yeah, it takes a bit of self-confidence and f*-'em attitude to wear hi-viz. I get crap from Harley "pirates" all the time. "Can't miss you coming!" "Yep, that's the idea." or "Yep, I'm a motorcyclist. I need to be seen to continue being alive."

One option is a hi-viz vest. They are required on US military bases so there are mil-spec versions. Also white is a great helmet color choice for visibility.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts