Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
+I use hippo hands on my bikes through the winter. Since this one set is quick removal hook and loop, I currently simply swap from bike to bike, rather than use the other two sets, each of which are constructed differently.

It's been averaging into the low forties now in the mornings, with a few sub-freezing drops, and I go from light weather to cold weather gear by degrees, so to speak, and I've begun occasional snowmobile mitt useage, so I know it's time to start using the hippos.

The sheepskin is synthetic, so it's not baa-aa-aa-aad. (Though the pun is.) I've used it under my ass for over thirty years, and it was well used by the high-mileage rider who gave it to me. I toss it in the laundry occasionally to re-fluff it.

Almost good to go, I just need to snag me one of those overshields that naaim posted, as I'm not small enough to tuck in tightly...

I've never used electrics, and probably never will.

Ride on.
Roadkill

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Can you put/pull your hands in and out while you are riding or do you just keep your hands in there once you get going? Looks good.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've never used electrics, and probably never will.
I did without electrics (both grips and liners) for nearly 35 years. Now that I have them I kick myself for not getting them sooner. So much wasted time not riding or suffering.

I never did check what the rating on the CBR's alternator is. I wouldn't expect their would be much in reserve.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hippos

qlred said:
Can you put/pull your hands in and out while you are riding or do you just keep your hands in there once you get going? Looks good.
+I can comfortably nestle my hand in at speed, and for emergency purposes can always grasp the controls WITH the mitts, as shown here (pictured on my Vegas). Hippo users should always be able to crush their mitt for emergency control, should the hand have been busy elsewhere, lifting a visor, scratching your nuts, etc.:

http://www.roadkillonline.net/imagedb_images/35_8970.jpg

Ride on.
Roadkill

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just added up some numbers.

Lights use up about 100W max.
Ignition = ? W

Gerbing heated vest = 54W (keeping the body core temp high might keep hands warm without any warmer)
Heated grips = 30W at high

Looks like there is probably enough output from alternator.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Looks like there is probably enough output from alternator.
Actually, that would be pretty marginal output for heated gear. Lights/Ign/FI etc eat up quite a bit of capacity.

Case in point, my FJR running both my grips and liner on low see's the voltage drop from 14.3/14.4 down to about 14.1 at about 3000 rpm. It has a 475 watt alternator.

Not so bad if your constantly spinning the the little single up around 5000+, but below that. It'd be a drain on the battery.

If your interested in heated gear, take a look at Gerbings new micro wire line. Pricy, but very good stuff with a fairly low current draw.

I was out for a ride yesterday for about 4hrs with a high temp of about 50F (10C), it was 3C when I left. Between the grips and liner and my riding gear, I was perfectly comfortable.

Funny when some pirate on a fat boy went past me on the highway like I was going backwards - and I was running 15 over. That guy hit a couple of bumps on the highway and he didn't flex at all. That guy was **** stiff! Guess wearing a beanie and chaps isn't the hot setup.

I bumped into him at the coffee shop about 15 minutes later and Mr. Fat Boy was sitting with some friends. I couldn't believe he had the cajones to ask me where I parked my skidoo!

I handed him my cell phone and said "Here, use this, you'll probably want somebody to trailer your bike home". My buddies thought that was hilarous because he was just complaining about how cold he was while he sat their warming his hands on his coffee....

I don't get some ppl...

·
Registered
133 Posts
For the coming cold season here in Thailand . I ................. do nothing as it's still in the 80's to 90's (27-30)
Well ok...maybe i will put on a wind breaker over my perforated leather jacket on the chilly morning's 70 (20)

Ohh life is good

Mind you at the moment your better of with a canoe in some pars (thankfully not my part)

·
Registered
235 Posts
For the coming cold season here in Thailand . I ................. do nothing ...
That is so rude, slapping us idiots who live in places that get cold with the reminder that we should quit sniveling and just move! :D

Mind you at the moment your better of with a canoe in some pars (thankfully not my part)
Ya, sorry for those who are caught up in that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That is so rude, slapping us idiots who live in places that get cold with the reminder that we should quit sniveling and just move! :D

Ya, sorry for those who are caught up in that.
Lol. sorry about that. But you do have some great roads and scenery when the weather is warmer.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm still riding even though the daytime highs are around 8-10C (46-50F) where I am. Thankfully it's still very sunny outside. I have to say that I am loving riding in the colder weather. It sure beats feeling like I'm sitting in a Finnish sauna in all my riding gear (ATGATT) in 30-33C (86-91F) temps on the hot tarmac. No thanks - to me that is torturous. I stopped riding on those hot days this summer. Currently, the backroads are virtually empty. And there are no mosquitos and blackfiles to decorate my visor!! The air feels cleaner, fresher, crisper. And I might even be picking up an extra hp with the colder, denser air!! :)

*Edit* - Don't get me wrong - I just wish there were more sunny 21C (70F) kinds of days. To me - that is a good riding temperature. If I have to choose between one or the other - I just prefer it to be a little too cold than a little too hot. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm still riding even though the daytime highs are around 8-10C (46-50F) where I am. Thankfully it's still very sunny outside. I have to say that I am loving riding in the colder weather. It sure beats feeling like I'm sitting in a Finnish sauna in all my riding gear (ATGATT) in 30-33C (86-91F) temps on the hot tarmac. No thanks - to me that is torturous. I stopped riding on those hot days this summer. Currently, the backroads are virtually empty. And there are no mosquitos and blackfiles to decorate my visor!! The air feels cleaner, fresher, crisper. And I might even be picking up an extra hp with the colder, denser air!! :)

Mike
Ha! try riding in the south!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
For the coming cold season here in Thailand . I ................. do nothing as it's still in the 80's to 90's (27-30)
Well ok...maybe i will put on a wind breaker over my perforated leather jacket on the chilly morning's 70 (20)

Ohh life is good

It can get quite parky in North and Northeastern parts of Thailand come the cool season; 10-15 C° (50-60 F°) in the mornings for a few weeks, sometimes less. People who are unprepared do die of the cold. I was certainly glad I had a decent jacket when I lived in Chaiyaphum.

A few years ago I headed off to ride up Doi Inthanon, Thailand's highest point. It is about 2,500 metres (8,400 feet) above sea level, and 1,850 meters (6070 feet) above the surrounding plain. I was glad of the jacket a friend slung me as I left. It was cool enough that day, and a few weeks before they had seen frosts at the peak.

I am no fair weather biker though, and have ridden in all conditions, including falling snow.

Exmoor (England) in March and April is far from tropical; I worked there at that time of year for several seasons. I had to ride around a couple of thousand acres of common each morning at daybreak to check the cows, which were getting close to calving. No helmet; just a woolly hat, and Barbour type jacket. I loved it; being out in all weather is one of the things I love about motorcycling. I have not shied away from winter riding on highways either.

Layering is the secret to keeping warm. Chose an outer layer that is wind and waterproof. Go with wool (or silk) for the inner layers to stay warm. Natural fibres are comfortable over a wider range of temperatures than man-made, and they don't stink like synthetics.

Many farmers use those Hippo Hand type muffs. I prefer use mittens made of the same leather they use for welding gloves, which I got from a dealer who supplies mainly farm and other off road motorcycles.

Electric gear..... ah forget it. More stuff to go wrong. I wouldn't rely on it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It's all a matter of degrees, the difference between 46f and 42f, when you are going sixty, against the wind, is huge.

Riding when you are cold is not a good idea. You grip against the cold, you get numb and don't think as well.

After using the heated gear, I'm not going back. I think it's safer and more fun. I'm also less bulky and less hot when using the heated gear rather than using wool under my coat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
LOL! Like thaicbr...

My winter prep is to simply stop carrying the rainsuit around. Weather just changed to blue skies and breezy 2 days ago. We'll still get some showers but once late November hits, perfect weather until next May/June. Then back to the wet stuff de vez en cuando.

A perfectly good bike sitting in a garage with a battery tender attached while it snows outside - ugh. Gets me depressed just thinking about it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A perfectly good bike sitting in a garage with a battery tender attached while it snows outside - ugh. Gets me depressed just thinking about it.
sadly, this is exactly what i will be doing this weekend. putting the cover on for the first time, filling the tank, adding sta-bil, and pluggin in the battery tender. :(
hopefully ill get some decent weather in the next couple months (above 50F degrees at 6 am) and ill get to go riding for a day :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts