Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some feedback. I'm currently looking at a pair of Alpinestars Apex Pants in my size for around $150. Just wanted to know if that was a good deal.

I realize that these are fairly old (5 years?) or at least assume it is based on a RevZilla video review that was around in 2010 here.

I basically don't have any protection for pants right now since all I'm using are jeans. I'm basically just inquiring with everyone else to see if $150 is a good use of money for solid pants protection or if I'm going to get the same level of protection for half this price if I go with some other off brand (and what that brand is).

Also, does anyone know anything about this vintage-looking Honda Racing Suit and the amount of protection it provides? See attached image.

Please let me know, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I notice that the Alpinestars pants don't have belt loops but is meant to be zipped into a jacket. The jacket I have doesn't have zippers so I'd appreciate some feedback as to how I can still use these securely.

Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently the Honda Racing Suit is part of the Honda Rider Collection by Intersport.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
I've got the A-Stars Apex pants. I bought them new in spring of 2012 as a discontinued/closeout, and paid $195 for them. They are made of high quality leather with robust stitching, and have built in CE protection, as well as knee sliders for track use. I really like mine.

As I recall they had an original retail price of $425, so I'd say $150 is a pretty fair price for these pants used, assuming they are in good condition. Alpinestars also supplied these pants with the other half of the waist zipper, so that you could sew that half into another jacket. Otherwise, most of the Alpinestars jackets come with matching waist zippers and are compatible with these pants.

Sport riding pants suitable for both track and street use
- 1.2-1.4mm full grain, drum dyed, leather for excellent abrasion resistance
- Multiple stitched main seam construction for maximum tear resistance
- Removable CE certified GP knee and shin protectors with injection molded shell and dual density foam padding
- Accordion leather flex zones and stretch nylon panels
- Internal lining with stretch panel inserts to work with outer stretch zones
- Waist connection zipper allows attachment to selected Alpinestars leather and textile jackets
- Built-in PE hip padding
- Alpinestars Sport knee sliders
- YKK spiral zippers
- TRP logos and details

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, Mike!

Would you happen to know where I can get the other half of the zipper? These may not come with them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UGH!

I utterly despise these eBay auctions. Highest bidder and I got out bid by $2.00 while I was out away from my desk, unable to obsess over my screen waiting to snipe it at the very last second.

adsf;ljkasdf;lkjas;dlfkjasdf

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
I won't do ebay auctions anymore... too much of a pain in the butt. If a listing doesn't have a 'buy now' or 'make an offer' option, I just keep looking for another listing that does.

This past spring I was looking for a OMC 3 gallon fuel tank for my outboard motor, and after being out bid on three tanks I found a nice one listed as a 'make an offer'. Ended up getting that one for $60 shipped, which was $40 - $50 less than what the winning bidders paid for those other tanks. On top of that, the tank I got was in far better condition than the other ones I lost bids on. Ironic how often these winning bidders end up paying a lot more for an item than what it's really worth.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could I get some input on these pants?

JoeRocket.com

They would basically complement the jacket I currently have with them.

Let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to go with these ones instead. Had some money from client work come in to help pay for these :)

Tour Master Overpants. Decided to go with these instead for the abrasion protection when compared to the Joe Rocket pants.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts