Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Was wondering if anyone has had, or have one of these jackets? Found one for $380 new, and was thinking about upgrading from textile.

Temps are usually 27c all year round, so not being perforated is a worry for me, however the back bump is perforated and have read online that it helps keep you cool.

Just wondering about real world experience.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
I'd think that for a hot climate, you'll want a jacket that is fully perforated in the front. Alpinestars has several perforated leather jackets in their line... Alpinestars

I've been wearing an Alpinestars SP-1 Perforated Leather Jacket for the past two years, and although it is no longer being made, it's similar in design to a couple of their current jackets... believe me, perforated leather is far more comfortable and cooler than non-perforated in hot temps.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have an Alpinestars Barcelona and it's way too hot for summer around here. Great jacket for 65-degree days and below, but above that I wear mesh.
So either get a perforated one like Mike says or plan on adding a mesh jacket to your wardrobe also at some point if you opt for the un-perforated GP-Pro.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've already got a mesh jacket. Was looking at the perforated ones, however most shops here they're $550-$590. Figured sub $400 was an amazing deal. Will have to keep eyes out for sale on perforated one. Thanks guys. Might get the SMX-2 boots or new version of waterproof ones.

The GP-R perforated looks nice, however around $550 here. Decisions, decisions!

I've looked at the GP-R, GP Plus R, and GP Plus jackets. They all look very similar / same features but price is different. Leaning more towards the GP Plus R. To me it looks the nicest, and seems exactly same as the other two.

Unsure what the difference is between the GP Plus and the GP Plus-R is though, they're both perforated. Just style?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Well if you already have a mesh jacket for hot days it makes the decision a little easier.
I don't think you can beat a good non-perforated leather for chilly days.
I have my best rides on the "leather jacket days" we get around here.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Well if you already have a mesh jacket for hot days it makes the decision a little easier.
He's from Australia so what are those chilly days you speak of?;)

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I wrote in my OP, its average of 27c all year round. Even at 10pm its usually around 20-23c. Have to enjoy far north Queensland. :p

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey OP, I don't have any real world experience with the jacket but, I too would be interested in hearing any. I was looking into buying the same model.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Like I wrote in my OP, its average of 27c all year round. Even at 10pm its usually around 20-23c. Have to enjoy far north Queensland. :p

Oh, you're up north. Not near where those huge salt water crocks hang out I hope.
Only guy I ever knew from over there was from St. Kilda where things get a little more temperate once in a while. : )

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, you're up north. Not near where those huge salt water crocks hang out I hope.
Only guy I ever knew from over there was from St. Kilda where things get a little more temperate once in a while. : )
Haha. Townsville. Have a few crocs, not too many. Amazing beautiful sun all year round except late Jan / early Feb when its cyclone season.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
That's a pretty good price for a set of track leathers, but lack of perforation will really make you melt inside the suit. I use the below suit for cruises and track days. Fieldsheer Radar 2-piece. Picked it up for $200 during a special. It proved comfortable during this particular track day.

I have a Teknic 2-piece non-perforated as well that I used during another track day, and I was dripping buckets inside that suit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My buddy has the Alpinestars GP Plus jacket which has less perforation than the GP Pro. In Missouri, our average temperatures are close to, if not hotter, than yours and he never complains about being too hot.

I think that the GP Pro would have plenty of airflow for you and if you can get one for under $400, thats a ******************** good deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this jacket in the non perf version. Its a real nice jacket and I've worn it in the 30-40F temperature range. Leather gets cold and will also make the inside of the jacket slightly cooler. Id still suggest to layer cloths underneath, but not absolutely necessary. It also fits a bit tighter than other jackets in the A* lineup, so if you want to layer, get a size larger. Im 5'9 and 150lbs and a EU size 50 fits very snug, not even sure i could layer if i wanted to. Also if you plan to replace armor, definitely go one size up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Revzilla has the Alpinestars GP plus full perf on close out for $259.99. They offer free shipping on orders over $39.99, and I've had great dealings with them in the past. I just bought it for our unforgiving hot, humid summers here in South Carolina. When I get a chance to try it it, I'll post a review.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
Revzilla has the Alpinestars GP plus full perf on close out for $259.99. They offer free shipping on orders over $39.99, and I've had great dealings with them in the past. I just bought it for our unforgiving hot, humid summers here in South Carolina. When I get a chance to try it it, I'll post a review.
That's a great deal on that jacket... which color did you order?

For anyone who's interested, here's what Revzilla has for non-current Alpinestars Jackets on closeout: Alpinestars on Sale - Discount Alpinestars Clothing - RevZilla
Definitely some nice deals to be had this time of year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It sure is a great deal, that's why I couldn't pass it up. I'd been looking for a quality perf leather for a while, but I didn't want all black as my VFR is black. I ordered the white/black version to provide a little more visibility and to absorb a little less heat...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts