Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, fellow CBR250r owner here and loving it. However, it seems just about everyone gets a better MPG than I am getting. I have about 1500 miles, broke in the first 500 miles with mild rpms no more than 7000. I put in 91 grade gas and test my mpg when I am commuting to work, so its basically all highway going 80mph at 9000rpm. Did my own oil change/filter change at 600 miles. Only mod that would matter is two brothers slip on.

I have to refuel when the tripometer reads 140ish. Now, I know I am not filling up all the way cause I always can only get 6/7 fuel bars to lite up when I try and fill up. On the other end, I refuel when the last bar is flashing when the bike is on the kickstand and stops flashing when straight. Now, even assuming I am only utilizing like 80% of the tank, thats 3.4gal x .8 = 2.72gal; 140miles/2.72gal = 51.5mpg.

This seem right? From reports 60-65mpg seems average, Im not even close to that. Input is appreciate, thanks.

·
Registered
501 Posts
So youre getting 51 mpg mostly doing 80mph at 9000rpm. Sound like good gas mileage to me. Try taking a diiferent route at lower speed & rpms, i'm sure your mileage will improve, even if the route is alittle bit longer

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Check Sendlers Gas mileage thread, all the deatils are there.
I get similar economy and love it.
Fuel is only $1.50 a litre so who cares?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Best fuel economy can be achieved by gentle acceleration to 5,000 RPM and shift.
Drive like you have a basket of eggs on your back seat. Slow down for lights and
stop signs gradually without engine braking (use only your front & rear brakes to slow).
Most importantly, try to lower your profile (wind drag) by lying across the gas tank and
position your helmet a little above the windscreen at speeds above 40 MPH.
See Sendler's TUCKING posts for details.
Also 87 octane regular gas will give you better economy than premium fuel.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I read somewhere that the internal fuel gauge uses some of the space inside the tank so there was only room for like 2.9 gallons of gas maybe..and I seemed to get better mileage outa 87 octane....I average 74 mpg but most my riding is around or under 45-50mph

and you dont seem to be very precise with your calculations concerning gas mileage ..looks to me like your guessing basically ..you might be getting better mileage than you think...write down your mileage next time you fill up ..then when ur ready for gas again,note exactly how much gas you put in to fill up..then divide gallons of gas it took to fill ur tank into your miles traveled since ur last fill up ...that will be your precise mpg..... just go to fuelly.com and create an account and follow the instructions..save ur reciept when you fill up and note ur odometer miles

·
Registered
78 Posts
i've been using 87 and am considering experimenting with 91 to see if there's an increase in mpg. is there any reasoning to why there wont be any positive affects?

·
Registered
311 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I found them useful. I tend to engine break a lot to slow down and 0-50mpg can be aggressive, I mean, I dont drive like Im "carrying a basket of eggs" or anything. I do tuck but I still feel drag from my backpack (Anyone know if one of those fancy aerodynamic backpacks would make a considerable difference on drag?). Ima also start calculating right, dunno what I was thinking.

All in all, seems like my bike is performing normal and I am saving a ton vs my v4 car so I am happy. :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
i've been using 87 and am considering experimenting with 91 to see if there's an increase in mpg. is there any reasoning to why there wont be any positive affects?
We have discussed it quite a bit here, but generally, more octane than required cuts power and MPGs.

The only exception would be using Premium to get away from Ethanol in regular gas. Though there still is a penalty for too much octane, getting rid of 10% Ethanol has given me a 4% increase in MPG in my limited tests.

87 without Ethanol will give you the best of everything, but not everyone can get it.

Jay

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Now, even assuming I am only utilizing like 80% of the tank, thats 3.4gal x .8 = 2.72gal; 140miles/2.72gal = 51.5mpg.
Another place where weird FE numbers pop up from is trying to estimate how much gas you are putting in by looking at the gauge and using the spec for the total size of the tank and guessing at what percentage you used. I think you will find this is way off. You have to fill the tank to the same place every time and look at the what the pump says to know how much fuel you really used. Then figure your miles per gallon from that. A running average will smooth out any fill errors.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
If you must run 75+ MPH I suggest a 15T front sprocket it will drop your RPM's and you should get better MPG's
'Should' if it had twice the power, but no it wont pull the gearing its got now let alone go higher.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts