Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i first bought my Cbr250r i was told to not go any higher than 5k rpm for a while. Ive now riden my bike 1,300 KM's am i good to start going up to 6-7 k rpm or more before shifting?

·
Registered
455 Posts
yes

·
Registered
724 Posts
When i first bought my Cbr250r i was told to not go any higher than 5k rpm for a while. Ive now riden my bike 1,300 KM's am i good to start going up to 6-7 k rpm or more before shifting?
Youre finally starting to go to 6-7km at 1300KM. You hardly gave the bike a sweat. Who told you to take it so easy. I think you took it way too easy for the bike's good. I took mine to redline a few times on the way home from the dealer and basically rode it like it was broken in. I went up and down the tachometer ignoring all keep it under rpm rules.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Youre finally starting to go to 6-7km at 1300KM. You hardly gave the bike a sweat. Who told you to take it so easy. I think you took it way too easy for the bike's good. I took mine to redline a few times on the way home from the dealer and basically rode it like it was broken in. I went up and down the tachometer ignoring all keep it under rpm rules.
Probably from the dealership - when I got my CBR600, the dealership told me to keep it under 8k for a few hundred miles, then ride it like I stole it. But he explained that it was for more than just the engine - its a good time to get all the new parts worn in (tires, chain, brakes..) and get a feel for the bike before you hammer it.

Either way, to the OP: ride it like you stole it. How you managed to not go over 6k until now is beyond me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ya. owners manual just says to take it easy. I have kept it in the 5k - 9k range since day one. I have read people being in 6th gear at 60kph? at those speeds i am only in 3rd or 4th. The only time i will be in 6th gear is on the hwy at 100+kph

I have watch many programs about building bikes. There is a program on here called
"Twist The Throttle" They show how bikes are built from all the major manufacturers.
Last one i saw was from Kawasaki. Every bike is driven from the end of the assembly line straight on to the dyno. They reef it thru all the gears at high RPM and run it like this for several minutes. No baby treatment here.

If hard riding was bad for a new bike i am sure they would not be doing this on a spanking brand new bike.

·
Registered
724 Posts
During the first few miles you dont want to bog the engine by not revving it high enough. Heard it one of the worst things you can do to a new engine. Under 5k is pretty risky for bogging it down.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
I've owned several new bikes and each time I varied the rpm's, didn't baby the bike, while at the same time didn't thrash it. Never had any issues with them including my cbr250, in which some seem to have following this forum. I just ride the bike, shift with high rpms while not red lining and the bike runs like a dream. Now that its broke in I push it and the bike loves it. Relax and enjoy. But, don't baby it:D

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Some Indian 'expert' on another forum was telling all and sundry not to go over 4000rpm for something like the first 500km. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I kept mine under 6000 for the first 600 miles & avoided rolling the throttle past about half throttle. I rode it progressively harder after that & by 1000 I was running it about as hard as possible. When I rode home from the dealer, I rode it like I bought it, because I did.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I "unlike some people" , actually read the manual and followed its instruction regarding break in for the first 300 miles... I avoided full throttle starts and tried to avoid one constant rpm for very long....and didnt redline it.......thats about it...took me about a week to hit 300 miles...

My very first ride out after that 300 mile mark..I "floored" it thru every gear and redlined it every chance i got...the more miles i put on..the more power i felt coming out of the engine

It may already be too late you for..you might already be stuck with an underpowered unresponsive bike because you babied it already TOO much for WAY TOO long...so for gods sake man..get out there and try to save your bikes engine now!!!

Disclamer: (This is only a suggestion, you as a human being can follow or not follow anyone's advice of your own free will, I am not responsible for repairs or any serious bodily injury or death that may occur from you following my advice)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
General observation on this forum is those that applied some common sense and neither laboured not redlined during the first 500-1000km (300- 600 miles) as per the owners manual, got the service done properly, then rode it hard ever since have no rattles, no problems and their bikes seem to perform better.

Tis the same for any motorcycle engine really.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went for ride today and started putting my bike into 8-9k RPM Range and i feel to stupid for not doing this earlier. I HAD SO MUCH MORE FUN!. I was out riding for 2 hours. i couldnt stop!. Thanks. Reason i baby'd it for starters is because i had never riden before and i was just taking any advice i could get cause i dont know anything.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Get it in 4th and pull back until you bounce it off the limiter (11.5rpm), then again after you upshift to 5th, all good fun.

·
1,305 Posts
Get it in 4th and pull back until you bounce it off the limiter (11.5rpm), then again after you upshift to 5th, all good fun.

darn it... did you not learn yet... this should not be fun, this is super serious stuff:p

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is *all* the Honda manual says about running-in:

"Help assure your motorcycle’s future
reliability and performance by paying extra
attention to how you ride during the first
500 km (300 miles).
During this period, avoid full-throttle starts
and rapid acceleration."

Not a word about RPM's. My dealer's advice on running it in: "Vary the RPM's -- take it high, and low on every ride. It likes to be ridden hard."

I don't know where all the concern originated about keeping it under xxxx RPMs (at least not on the cbr250r).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts