Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rode a lot of bikes at Americade. Endured pouring rain all the way there and got soaked through. I took three days for my warm gloves to dry out just in time for the trip home. Rain delayed the demo rides on Tues. morning but the rest of the week was fine although 40F at night was chilly in the tent.
Kawasaki suddenly pulled their entire bike demo program which was by far the most prolific. Losers. I rode the Yamaha R3 (four times), Fz-09, Fz 6R, Smax scooter, Suzuki Burgman650, Honda CBR300R (three times), 500R, CTX700. The CBR300R is surprisingly quick and has the same power as the R3 up to 8,500 but above that the R3 adds 8 more hp which makes all the difference. It is a very quick bike at 38 hp and 370 lbs. Can't forget the poor Ninja300 which is just in it's shadow with 22 cc's less engine but is available with ABS.
Now I get to find out how much depreciation my 09 Ninja250 has suffered. I'm sure it's value has dropped since the word is out on the R3.
2015 Yamaha YZF-R3

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope to ride an R3 at a demo days this week- schedule permitting. I enjoy my 250 for many reasons and part of that is ownership and operation cost. Honda boring out the 250 seemed to make sense, maybe even Kawi with the 300 twin..... but now Yamaha has 320 something. so who is next in the chess game and it feels that soon it will just be 500's available. Suzuki with a 350???? As all the prices go up? Don't get me wrong I used to love an old EX500 but I say enough of the posturing at small displacement. IF you want a 1000 buy one. That being said, I am sure I will love the Yamaha. Ride Safe
J

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
I hope to ride an R3 at a demo days this week- schedule permitting. I enjoy my 250 for many reasons and part of that is ownership and operation cost. Honda boring out the 250 seemed to make sense, maybe even Kawi with the 300 twin..... but now Yamaha has 320 something. so who is next in the chess game and it feels that soon it will just be 500's available. Suzuki with a 350???? As all the prices go up? Don't get me wrong I used to love an old EX500 but I say enough of the posturing at small displacement. IF you want a 1000 buy one. That being said, I am sure I will love the Yamaha. Ride Safe
J
Honda didn't change the bore on the 250R, rather they changed the stroke to gain 36cc of displacement. The CBR300R & CB300F are "300's" only in name.

And the with the huge popularity of the small displacement class, there is no way the manufacturers would abandon this important segment of the market. I'm sure Honda would love to sell their 500's in similar quantities to that of their 250-300's. But they wouldn't drop the 300 in a an attempt to sell more 500's... it doesn't work like that.

Prior to Honda's introduction of the CBR250R in late 2010, Kawasaki was the only player in the quarter liter sport bike segment with their Ninja 250. I don't know off hand the exact year Kawasaki introduced the EX250, but it was sometime back in the mid to late 80's. Anyway, it's only been in the past five years that consumer interest in this small displacement class has really taken off, largely due to the Honda's new CBR250R.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gotcha on the changing the stroke. I just knew they came up with the same motor at 280 something.. anyway, thanks. IT will be interesting what shows up on the market over the next years. All I was saying is that 250"s are now 300's.. oh wait the KTM390 has been grouped in his class by media, Yamahas a 320 something..... I would hope Honda wouldn't discontinue its 300 since its introduction of our beloved cbr250s have shaken up the whole playing field in America. I want the 300 available in a few years when I buy another new one HA. Ride Safe

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Anyway, it's only been in the past five years that consumer interest in this small displacement class has really taken off, largely due to the Honda's new CBR250R.
And all of that is thrown over board again by all companies adding more and more cc to their bikes. First Kawasaki, then Honda's improvised answer (the 250 wasn't enough anymore to compete obviously) and now Yamaha has upped them both. It seems the trend goes to be just a bit bigger than the competition. I think it will settle around 350 - 400cc for the "small bike" category.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree it will probably settle in the 350 - 400 range and we will probably see some exciting bikes. I just hope the prices stay down for such nice bikes that's all. I have owned bigger bikes, paid to insure and maintain them and would rather not do that when it comes time to replace my cbr. That is why I caught myself at my purchase this time and bought the cbr when I was eyeing another 600 super sport - and have not regretted it.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda boring out the 250 seemed to make sense, maybe even Kawi with the 300 twin..... but now Yamaha has 320 something. so who is next in the chess game and it feels that soon it will just be 500's available.
But the R3 is still only 370 pounds, the same as the other 300's. And only a little more than the Honda at $4990. I still love my CBR250R and it will get 4 times the miles per year commuting and cross country traveling, but the R3 is the perfect play bike for me. I would much rather have that than any 600 supersport and feel that I could easily keep up with any group on twisty roads unless they wanted to top out on a super highway. It is that fast.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very different engine. Excellent commuter with the auto trans. Most comfortable seat and rear seat at the show. perfect for shorter ladies looking for long distance a ride. Low cg so very easy to hold up. would be excellent with the taller windscreen. one of the coolest looking fairings of any cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
... I think it will settle around 350 - 400cc for the "small bike" category.
I agree it will probably settle in the 350 - 400 range and we will probably see some exciting bikes...
I don't think the engine displacement for the small sport bike segment will go over 350cc... and if the one-upsmanship does take engine displacement up into the 350-400cc range, one of the manufacturers will no doubt re-introduce a 250cc sport bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts