Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First used CBR on ebay.... Buyer put 450 miles and wanted something bigger- Gotta love the newbie impulse to buy a brand new bike as his/her first.. Seller asking $3800 which is higher than some dealers are asking for new bikes. I see new CBR250r's for $3799 no fees on ebay and cycletrader.

Things seems to be progressing nicely. I should be able to pick one of these up , with a few hundred miles on it, for around $2500 next spring. Maybe I will get lucky and a new rider will drop it and crack some plastic and I'll get it for under $2000! Thank the lord for impulse buyers!, Especially newbies who buy brand new shiny bikes!:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
These bikes are likely to hold their value pretty well. Especially considering how rare they are at the dealerships. Check out Craiglist. There are almost no 250s on it at all. People just don't resell them the way 650s and 1000s get traded. The harder they are to find, the more expensive they're likely to be. I doubt seriously you'll be able to get anything other than a ragged out CBR250R a year from now for less than 3k.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Quit being so cheap and go buy one. You can come buy mine cheap if you bring the hot pockets.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Even the old 250's are hard to find under $2000, I figure in 3 years if I keep it really nice it'll still be worth $2900

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These bikes are likely to hold their value pretty well.
All bike sales are at an all time low and sales should continue to stay low due to the destruction of the American and world economies. That's why you can buy a brand new $8000 Versys for $5500 on ebay.. A brand new $8490 Yamaha Tmax for $5999 on cycletrader and that's way dealers are selling the CBR250r for $300 under MSRP.

Especially considering how rare they are at the dealerships.
Supply is only part of the equation. Dealers on ebay and cycletrader are asking $300 under MSRP for a reason.
Check out Craiglist. There are almost no 250s on it at all. very People just don't resell them the way 650s and 1000s get traded.
Huh? What are you talking about? Relatively speaking I would bet there are more 250cc bikes up for sale than any other class.

The harder they are to find, the more expensive they're likely to be.
Again supply is only part of the equation .If people don't want the bike or can't afford it due to unemployment and or inflation etc.. than it does not matter how limited the supply is.

I seriously you'll be able to get anything other than a ragged out CBR250R a year from now for less than 3k.
I have a rather impeccable record and history of acquiring low mileage bikes for a song and a dance. .
The rules are as follows, Never buy new. Be very patient. Put some real effort into searching for what you want. Don't be afraid to buy out of state and have it delivered. Always have cash at hand. Don't buy what you can't afford. Never finance.. Don't be afraid to make an offer.

These rules have served me well as I haven never lost money on a bike purchase. The bikes I buy are an investment or at the very least a hedge against inflation. In other words, I buy them enjoy them and end up selling them for a small profit. They are appreciating assets as opposed to a deprecating ones.
Now, if you consider yourself wealthy or for some other reason the amount you spend is not an issue than buy all the new bikes you want and enjoy them!

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even the old 250's are hard to find under $2000, I figure in 3 years if I keep it really nice it'll still be worth $2900
You can buy a brand new KLX250sf for $3500. The MSRP is $5599. An $8000 Versys for $5500 on ebay.. A brand new $8490 Yamaha Tmax for $5999 on cycletrader and a new CBR250r for $300 under MSRP.

I wish you the best. I hope all of our bikes hold there value but the way things are headed with the destruction of the dollar, higher inflation and poorer and poorer bike sales, it does not look good for the future of America. Things are worse than they were a 10 years ago and the fundamentals which brought us to this point have only gotten worse.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can buy a brand new KLX250sf for $3500. The MSRP is $5599. An $8000 Versys for $5500 on ebay.. A brand new $8490 Yamaha Tmax for $5999 on cycletrader and a new CBR250r for $300 under MSRP.

I wish you the best. I hope all of our bikes hold there value but the way things are headed with the destruction of the dollar, higher inflation and poorer and poorer bike sales, it does not look good for the future of America. Things are worse than they were a 10 years ago and the fundamentals which brought us to this point have only gotten worse.
As the economy goes down bikes like these hold more value. Moped sales have skyrocketed this summer and were gradually going up over the last 3 years. People like me wont buy a moped but would gladly take a sporty looking and fairly capable 250. The fact that dealers can't keep these on the showroom floor goes to show the demand for them. They will hold their value.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Buying a motorcycle was an emotional decision and definitely not a rational one so yeah it's a money pit :)

But it's fun!

·
Registered
576 Posts
As the economy goes down bikes like these hold more value. Moped sales have skyrocketed this summer and were gradually going up over the last 3 years. People like me wont buy a moped but would gladly take a sporty looking and fairly capable 250. The fact that dealers can't keep these on the showroom floor goes to show the demand for them. They will hold their value.
this is a smart statement.

·
Registered
619 Posts
who bought a bike off ebay? That's stupid. If the dollar goes down in value, bikes will cost more....hot pockets....

·
Banned
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As the economy goes down bikes like these hold more value. Moped sales have skyrocketed this summer and were gradually going up over the last 3 years. People like me wont buy a moped but would gladly take a sporty looking and fairly capable 250. The fact that dealers can't keep these on the showroom floor goes to show the demand for them.They will hold their value.
Oy vey! It's as if you did'nt comprehend a word I said. Scooter sales are up compared to last year but they are actually down overall. Motorcycle sales are up about 7% compared to last year but they are actually dismal compared to years past.
This is a sign of a poor economy. If motorcyles were a good hedge, you would have hedge-fund mangers investing in motorcycles for their clients.

·
Registered
12 Posts
problem is you look on craigslist you see tons of 250s for sale like the rebel and ninja. You can bet you call them two weeks after they post and its still for sale. Problem is people dont go out looking for 250's and people that have them think they are worth their asking price but with a small demand, means price must drop. Only reason im debating on a cbr250 is fuel injection and gas milage but then again the Hyosung made a fuel injected 250 in 2010 same specs. Im still unsure how it will handle a 205lbs man at 65mph speeds for 40 miles a day. thats what im trying to research now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Read the review of the top three 250cc sport bikes in last months Motorcyclist Mag. That's what sold me on the Honda. Ridden it everyday for the past 2 weeks for 70 mi commute to work. Well worth it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oy vey! It's as if you did'nt comprehend a word I said. Scooter sales are up compared to last year but they are actually down overall. Motorcycle sales are up about 7% compared to last year but they are actually dismal compared to years past.
This is a sign of a poor economy. If motorcyles were a good hedge, you would have hedge-fund mangers investing in motorcycles for their clients.
Maybe it's just my area but it seems that my local dealer empties the show room floor between shipments... They sold every single 250 they had there in the same day. Mine being the only Honda they had and then a few Ninja's they had in stock. They sold at least 2-4 600+ bikes that day as well.

I'm also not saying motorcycle sales over all. I'm talking specifically 250's

Also, I've been looking everywhere for the old 250's just to see how much they were going for. I can't even find a single one. Nobody is letting them go right now. This means the supply is limited which generally makes the demand higher. Low supply + high demand = higher value. It's the same with our 250's, they aren't easy to find. Just because the dealers are letting them go for cheap doesn't mean much. It could be part of their plan after all. Get the new rider in the door and sell him a brand new 250, next year he comes back looking for something bigger which is when you get to trade the 250 back in and sell another new bike at a higher cost. Then re sell the 250 again for profit.

Sometimes selling cheap is an investment to get them back in the door for next time. They think they can get a deal and you also gain their trust.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts