Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
I want one of those. The ones in the U.S. dont even get close to that gas mileage, think it only gets about 40 MPG on the freeway. The U. S. goverment could learn from seeing that. My 1992 Geo metro got 50 to 60 MPG. Now no cars get that anymore in this country. stupid when theres alot of people like me would pay for that kind of car.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I want one of those. The ones in the U.S. dont even get close to that gas mileage, think it only gets about 40 MPG on the freeway. The U. S. goverment could learn from seeing that. My 1992 Geo metro got 50 to 60 MPG. Now no cars get that anymore in this country. stupid when theres alot of people like me would pay for that kind of car.
Yea - I had a 95 Geo, 1L3C. 50 MPG (US) was the norm for me. My 2009 smart 1L3C (which I love) only gets 40 MPG (US).

·
Registered
148 Posts
And it looks good, to boot!

The hatch looks even better. I am gradually falling in love with all these tiny hatchbacks.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The US Kia Rio posts a sticker MPG of 40 and starts at $13,400.
I just drove a new Fiesta. WHAT A NICE CAR! Sticker mpg of 38. 3 cyl tubo direct injected eco boost engine is coming next year which gets 44 mpg. The interior is high quality. Stereo sounds good and has an aux jack. Tilt telescope wheel. power mirrors. Clutch feels perfect, trans shifts nice, engine never chugs or lugs and is so smooth you cant tell if it is still running at a stop light. Steering is perfect with none of the sticktion that I feel in the Fit and the Yaris. Road going roll quality is amazing. Bumps have no thud. Traction control is standard. $500 rebate. $13,400 plus tax out the door. Amazing.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The US Kia Rio posts a sticker MPG of 40 and starts at $13,400.
I just drove a new Fiesta. WHAT A NICE CAR! Sticker mpg of 38. 3 cyl tubo direct injected eco boost engine is coming next year which gets 44 mpg. The interior is high quality. Stereo sounds good and has an aux jack. Tilt telescope wheel. power mirrors. Clutch feels perfect, trans shifts nice, engine never chugs or lugs and is so smooth you cant tell if it is still running at a stop light. Steering is perfect with none of the sticktion that I feel in the Fit and the Yaris. Road going roll quality is amazing. Bumps have no thud. Traction control is standard. $500 rebate. $13,400 plus tax out the door. Amazing.

A Woman I work with traded her SUV for a lime green fiesta, she only drove it 6 months and must have traded again cuz shes driving a maroon nissan now..I should ask her why she got rid of it next time I see her...I think maybe she got tired of people joking with her about the color?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Fuelly reports 26-38 MPG for this car.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/kia/rio

Real World Experience differs from these claims. 54 MPG imperial = 45 MPG US
55 MPG imperial = 45.8 MPG US
Picked up this quote from the comments section of the OP's linked article.

I have just purchased a demo model of the Kia Rio CRDI Ecodynamics (2). Forget 88mpg unless you travel everywhere on a rolling road with no wind resistance.
The maximum I get with the Ecodynamics Rio is 55mpg but only if I impose a maximum of 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways – which is quite boring.

I exchanged my old Skoda Octavia, and its road tax of £118 for 6 months, for the zero road tax Rio.

Its 1875 cc engine returned 54mpg whilst the 1125cc Rio engine only returns 55mpg (and that’s on a good day).

Would the Kia manufacturers care to comment on how they managed to wangle zero road tax on an engine which burns the same amount of fuel per mile as the Skoda Octavia, using a non-aggressive driving style and on mixed urban/lengthy dual cariageway roads.
Also could they tell me why an engine 50% bigger than theirs has nearly the same fuel consumption per mile?
It would appear that technically speaking they have much to learn from Skoda on squeezing realistic extra mpg from their engines.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
45 mpgUS diesel would be energy equivalent to about 40 mpg gas. These are a good benchmark all of the auto makers are shooting for. Yaris, Fiesta, and the very nice Focus and Cruze are all right there. Honda, Hyundai, Mazda. Everybody is offering a cheap car that is good on gas without resorting to hybrid. Hopefully someone will want them this time so they will keep building them. The technology has made a big jump in the last couple years. And with sky high used car prices in the US due to the cash for clunkers crushing all the old, well, clunkers, it may be the first time ever that a new car is the better deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts